Question

Sonos Surround

I have a Sonos Playbase and 2 Play 1 speakers. The surround sound works great with music but i dont get surround sound while watching tv. There is a very faint sound coming from the Play 1. How do I get surround while watching tv?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
He must have the mini genie. Mine like that only has coax.
Chris, my DirecTV Genie C41-100 (not the DVR, just the secondary box) does have an optical output.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
if the directv box is only thing you plug into the TV then this method would be easiest.

If you have multiple devices then an hdmi switch would be best.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15375
Thank you I will order one and give it a try! Thank you for your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I thought all Directv boxes except the genie client tiny boxes had optical out.

The genie client boxes have the orange coax digital out - you would need converter like this to hook direct to playbar.

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40018-Coaxial-Optical-Converter/dp/B0002J2MV4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517766920&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+coaxial+to+optical
I don't have any ports on my Direct TV Box that match the outputs on the Playstand. Do I need a special cable?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea - if you plug the optical cable from playbar to the Directv box you'll find you get 5.1 (go ahead and try and check your Sonos app again).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
according to the manual for that TV it does not pass 5.1 surround sound through TV. You can verify this by unplugging the optical cable from the TV and plugging it directly into your cable box optical out. You should then find your getting 5.1 sound.

If all you have is a cable box then your fine with it that way. However, if you have multiple sources that you hook to the TV like DVD player, Chromecast, FireTV, AppleTV etc. then your going to have to get an HDMI switch with optical output to handle switching of sources (since the TV can't be used as the switching hub since its optical out doesn't pass 5.1).
We are using Direct TV Sattelite
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
what is your cable box ?
The input says Stereo the TV is a Samsung Model LN37A450C1DXZA Version AA02
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I assume you have it set to FULL mode so surrounds are full stereo when listening to music (it does sound great).

Now when watching TV it is going to depend on source. Either the 5.1 mix isn't using the rears much or your not getting a 5.1 signal and your just getting a dolby pro logic type surround (which is very limited in use of rears).

When watching TV go to ....sonos settings... about my Sonos. Scroll down to playbar and look at the Input type: does it say dolby 5.1 or stereo PCM.

If it says stereo your source is not feeding the playbar a surround signal. In that case post what TV your using what the source of TV is (cable box etc.)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings