sonos sub crossover

Whe. I'm using the Sonos playbar and sub in an 3.1 or 5.1 setup, on what hz is the sub crossed?
As far as I could see it's not manually adjustable to like 80 or 60hz.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You should assume that the crossover frequency would change, depending on which particular sound bar from Sonos it was bonded with. Which is possibly why they don't list a static crossover frequency on the sale/tech page.
This is correct. The crossover frequency is based on which component the Sub bonds with.
So, offhand, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a couple of questions.

If you can't modify it in the controller app, why does it make a difference? I'd assume that Sonos has profiled their own speakers, and set it to be at the optimum frequency for the speaker profiles.

Second, have you checked (and I have not...) for some mp3s or YouTube videos that purport to use various frequencies for home theater testing, and tried an experiment on your own?

I'm not so interested that I'm going to run off and do that research, but if you're going to do that, perhaps you might share what you find, so that others that have this question might benefit from your effort?
Good idea but I'm about to buy. That's why.
I was wondering because listening in store isn't the same as at home. Logically I would say 60 or 80 hz ish.
I see. Not owning one would certainly make it challenging.

But I’m still not sure I comprehend why it is significant. I’ve had two PLAYBARs and SUBs for about 5 years or so, and haven’t heard any discontinuity when playing either music or video across them. I’ve always assumed that Sonos profiled the two devices, and chose the appropriate point at which it made sense to switch from one to the other.

If if you think it’s that important, why don’t you call Sonos, since it doesn’t seem that the community forum has an answer for you? Click on “Contact Us” at the bottom of this page for details.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I would also suggest that the combination of speakers (Playbar very different from Beam, for example) and the effects of Trueplay might affect the crossover depending upon a room’s acoustics, though that’s only speculation on my part.
I could potentially see this as a concern if you weren’t using Sonos speakers, as you’d want to be sure the two speakers “matched” on the crossover frequency, but as I’m pretty sure that Sonos engineers are familiar with the various characteristics of their own line, they’ve matched it properly. It would be mildly interesting to know if it was different frequencies when bonded with various Sonos speaker. I could see that there might be a different crossover used when bonded to PLAY:5s versus Sonos Ones, for instance.
Well it could be very interesting if you're about to buy one of the bars.
If the crossover differs (so the bar get's low frequencies or the sub more high frequencies) it could affect the sound quality.

Feeding the SONOS sub above 80hz wouldn't be logical because it's a subwoofer. That's why I'd like to know (and in the perfect world adjust).
You should assume that the crossover frequency would change, depending on which particular sound bar from Sonos it was bonded with. Which is possibly why they don't list a static crossover frequency on the sale/tech page.
Thanks for the clarification/confirmation, Ryan.

You should assume that the crossover frequency would change, depending on which particular sound bar from Sonos it was bonded with. Which is possibly why they don't list a static crossover frequency on the sale/tech page.This is correct. The crossover frequency is based on which component the Sub bonds with.

Thanks, do you know to which it'll be set?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I doubt that they will tell you.