Sonos Sub - Confirmed by Crutchfield e-Newsletter

Show first post

110 replies

Userlevel 2
Perhaps someone with early access to one of these could answer this question :
How does this device perform in a multi-zone environment ?
e.g. a big long room with 4x linked Play5s and a Zp120. (Linked as zones not as Stereo pairs).
Can one of these work in this arrangement ?
What happens when one of the Play5s is off-line for some reason ?
Does the setup routine have to be redone each time the "config" changes ?
drsox,

From a control standpoint, how would one communicate to the system that this "group" is actually a single physical room, and SUB belongs to the room, not a particular player (which could be a bonded pair)?

Perhaps we could introduce a new concept where a physical room could be labeled a "Venue" or "Locale" and players could be bonded into this "Venue" along with a SUB.

Moving a player into and out of a "Venue" would be similar to the current grouping and ungrouping. This opens the possibility that SUB could be stranded if all of the players are removed from a "Venue".

A large "Venue" might warrant multiple SUB's.
Userlevel 2
Thanks.
Yes, this is a problem. I have argued in the past that Zone is not the same as Room, but for most folks I guess it is.
Is my setup unique ? I have 7 zones in 3 rooms, usually all linked together, but with the zones w/o current human presence muted. I run a single long queue and listen to the same stuff in any of the 3 rooms and yes, one of the rooms has 5 zones. That way I can continue the music as I move around and from day to day.

From what you imply it would seem that the SUB is not going to work for me. Pity, as I could do with some more bass for some locations.
Maybe I'll get one from Amazon and try it for 2 weeks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Looks like a great product and I'd love to add one to my living-room S5 but not at that price. I know sonos stuff is expensive but this just seems stupid compared to the pricing of the other sonos products.
drsox,

I think that SUB will work in your large room. You would bond SUB to one of the players in that room and, since you keep those players grouped, you would bond to the player driving speakers in the most beneficial physical location.

What is the "best" location? My first thought was a corner location, because this is the most efficient spot for coupling bass energy into the room. In general, it is very difficult to determine the source of bass energy by simply listening. This is why subwoofers can be introduced into a room without a major disruption of the imaging. However, if the subwoofer is located behind the listener or in a distant corner, it is more likely that one can point to the bass source.

You'll need to experiment a little. It is possible that a more central location will be "best" in your large room.
Userlevel 2
drsox,

I think that SUB will work in your large room. You would bond SUB to one of the players in that room and, since you keep those players grouped, you would bond to the player driving speakers in the most beneficial physical location.

What is the "best" location? My first thought was a corner location, because this is the most efficient spot for coupling bass energy into the room. In general, it is very difficult to determine the source of bass energy by simply listening. This is why subwoofers can be introduced into a room without a major disruption of the imaging. However, if the subwoofer is located behind the listener or in a distant corner, it is more likely that one can point to the bass source.

You'll need to experiment a little. It is possible that a more central location will be "best" in your large room.

Thanks.

Yes, I think a central location is going to be best as the innovation of Sonos has made the traditional corner locations a thing of the past. I have a location in mind that is next to an existing S5 but a bit "hidden". I suspect this is better than opposite the S5 on the other wall (or is it?).
Any location in the room is going to be behind the listener at some point. That's why there are 5 sets of speakers.

What's the Sonos policy wrt returned items ? Is return postage reimbursed as it is with Amazon ?

PS It's not going to work anyway - at 16kg it's just too damn heavy.
drsox,

Sonically, a heavy subwoofer is a plus because there is some energy involved. For tweeters, there is very little energy. I've worked with some featherweight subwoofers and an early listening comment is "where is the beef?"

True, a unit as heavy as SUB could collapse shelves or cause some human damage during installation.
Userlevel 2
Yes, I understand. Unfortunately I have to think of my back, esp if I'm going to be bending down moving the thing around. 10kg has proved to be a practical limit - I even sent the Apple 27in display back (not the only reason though). If I can move it around using a hand truck then it might be worth a try. (Used to do this with B&O TVs)

It's a b***** getting older.
It's a b***** getting older.

True. But the alternative really sucks. :D

Best of Luck