Sonos Sub - Confirmed by Crutchfield e-Newsletter

Userlevel 2
Got an email this AM from Crutchfield announcing a wireless sub from Sonos:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_616SUB/Sonos-Sub.html

110 replies

Just saw it on Gizmodo as well, although the link in their article to the official Sonos blog is now broken, maybe Sonos pulled their announcement?

http://gizmodo.com/5912150/sonos-sub-wireless-subwoofer-puts-some-***-in-your-sonos-system
Userlevel 2
Its on the SONOS web site! So unlikely any announcement has been pulled.
I just got an email announcement!
Userlevel 2
http://www.sonos.com/introducing/sub
The blog post is still there (or it's been restored).

I wonder how low it goes. For $699, it had better be fairly deep. I guess we'll find out next month.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
They say 25 Hz in the specs. However, I have a hard time justifying that price. I was actually about to buy a CONNECT:AMP + wall-speakers and a subwoofer to replace my paired S5.

This would have been perfect, but I'm guessing it will land on almost the same price... and then I will have two spare S5 as well.

And no white color? What's up with that?
Badge
I'm trying to work out why this only works with Sonos units with amps... If it's wireless it must have an amp in it right?
Userlevel 1
I'm trying to work out why this only works with Sonos units with amps... If it's wireless it must have an amp in it right?

Err, no! Not an audio amp, the Connect doesn't have one.

I'd imagine it's because a lot of Connects get used with AV receivers and Sonos can't guarantee that the SUB will sync properly with a Connect when there's AV processing adding a delay to the output.
Userlevel 2
.I'd imagine it's because a lot of Connects get used with AV receivers and Sonos can't guarantee that the SUB will sync properly with a Connect when there's AV processing adding a delay to the output.

So how does a Connect serving an AV unit sync with an S5 (say) in the next room?
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
So how does a Connect serving an AV unit sync with an S5 (say) in the next room?

Probably very bad if the AV unit does some sort of preprocessing of the sound.

Very often it doesn't. It is one of the problems with using a modern A/V receiver with a CONNECT; the DSP circuitry in the receiver often causes delays which screws up syncing with Sonos. There is a whole thread requesting variable delay for just this problem:

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=20699
Userlevel 2
I am big fan of Sonos but what's the use of a Sonos Sub with the current Sonos products?

A combination of 2xPLAY 3/5 and Sub can make a wireless stereo but too limited for a living room system and an overkill for other rooms.

I hope this comes in parallel with a "super" Bridge with:
- Multiple input sources and formats
- 5.1 surround with no synch issues
- IR control of other devices

You could plug all devices to the super Bridge and use 5 PLAY and the SUB to have a wireless system doing both Stereo and Home Cinema.
Userlevel 1
I am big fan of Sonos but what's the use of a Sonos Sub with the current Sonos products?

To answer all the people who want to use a subwoofer with the Play:5/3 at a guess.

A combination of 2xPLAY 3/5 and Sub can make a wireless stereo but too limited for a living room system and an overkill for other rooms.

Well that's what people have been asking for, although I don't think it's yet been shown that you can use the SUB with a stereo pair of Play:3/5s has it?

I hope this comes in parallel with

I'd guess if it was coming in parallel with anything they'd have announced it at the same time. Although it will come with a nice firmware update of course.
Userlevel 2
Even the biggest Sonos fans (which I fell like I am one) have to be shaking their head at this product at this price point.
Even the biggest Sonos fans (which I fell like I am one) have to be shaking their head at this product at this price point.

There are people shaking their heads after every Sonos hardware/software release announcement. There are also those who are very happy to be getting just what they want. It's the nature of the CE business.
Userlevel 2
There are people shaking their heads after every Sonos hardware/software release announcement. There are also those who are very happy to be getting just what they want. It's the nature of the CE business.

Do you think there is a big market for this at this price point? It just seems like such a small set of people who either don't want to wire a sub with their connect:amp or need a sub with their play:3,5? Very strange.

I would think from a business standpoint making a play:3,5 that was able to go outside or in a bathroom would get a bigger market. I feel like I am like a lot of people and want to have music on my deck but don't really want to go through the trouble of running wire outside. Would be nice to just mount a water-resistant play:5 or a couple of play:3's under the awning just like you would water-resistant speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'd heard that something new was coming soon because my dealer rep invited me to a preview event a few weeks ago. I couldn't make it and they couldn't tell me what it was except that it would "enable you to go back to every client you've installed Sonos for with a new add-on". I've now gone through the list of every home we've installed Sonos in and I literally didn't find one where this device would make any sense. It's one thing for me to say, "Well, that's not for me but others might like it" . . . this is that I don't have a single customer for whom this would make sense. I'll keep trying to think of one, but so far I'd say this feels much more niche than one would like.
Do you think there is a big market for this at this price point? It just seems like such a small set of people who either don't want to wire a sub with their connect:amp or need a sub with their play:3,5? Very strange.

I would think from a business standpoint making a play:3,5 that was able to go outside or in a bathroom would get a bigger market. I feel like I am like a lot of people and want to have music on my deck but don't really want to go through the trouble of running wire outside. Would be nice to just mount a water-resistant play:5 or a couple of play:3's under the awning just like you would water-resistant speakers.

I have no idea about the market. Obviously, given their track record, Sonos has a pretty good marketing research team. Without access to their data or expertise, I would not begin to speculate if this was a good move or not. I do know that this was requested in Sound Ideas, so it didn't come out of left field. Also, I personally have no use for an outdoor speaker, and my bathroom is served very well by a P:5. This in no way invalidates your wishes, but it does demonstrate the anecdotal nature of our wants and needs, and drives home the old adage of "different strokes for different folks."
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
What if...

you have a CONNECT with bookshelf speakers already and want some extra bass?

you love music and want the subwoofer, but not in the same place as your other speakers / SONOS boxes? ie, behind the sofa?

I personally don't understand why anyone would want to spend £800 for two linked S5's when a CONNECT plugged into some £200 speakers sounds tons better, but hey, they asked for it, they got it.

Sonos do seem to be gearing up for a 5.1 system, but hell, why would I spend the money on all those Play:3's and a subwoofer, when a CONNECT played through ANY £1.5k speakers would sound better.

People are nuts, but I do like me some extra bass.
Userlevel 1
What if...

you love music and want the subwoofer, but not in the same place as your other speakers / SONOS boxes? ie, behind the sofa?

I personally don't understand why anyone would want to spend £800 for two linked S5's when a CONNECT plugged into some £200 speakers sounds tons better, but hey, they asked for it, they got it.

You mean a Connect:Amp, you can't plug a Connect directly into speakers (unless they're active/powered) and besides, you can't use the SUB with the Connect/ZP90/80 anyway.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm not sure where you come down . . . do you like it or not?What if...

If you do mean a connect (i.e. the speakers are powered) then you don't like the SUB since it won't work with a Connect.

Then I'd say the SUB works, though we put (lowercase) subs in remote locations all the time, either wireless or concealing wires
2 S'5s at USD 400/each versus a Connect:Amp @ USD 500 plus USD 300 for nice speakers would have you at the same price point of course, but with the advantage of no wiring between the two. That's where we've used paired players most often is where someone wants the music in a room without a good location for running wires (say, on opposite sides of a brick fireplace and hardwood floors).
Sonos do seem to be gearing up for a 5.1 system, but hell, why would I spend the money on all those Play:3's and a subwoofer, when a CONNECT played through ANY £1.5k speakers would sound better.

So I'm back to thinking you don't like it and I agree 🙂
Userlevel 2
Hmmm...I am as big a Sonos fan as there is, but this price point feels way too high.

You can get very very good subwoofers for that coin.

I fear this is a rare miss by the Sonos team. I guess time will tell. After all, Bose has made a fortune selling people overpriced gear. I am mostly disappointed because I push the Sonos brand at anyone who will listen, telling them that while it is a little pricey, the value is there. Don't expect to be able to say that about this particular product.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
It seems pricey to me too... I was thinking of adding a subwoofer to my CONNECT:AMP and the one that goes with my current pair of speakers is 450€ - so 700€ does not sound like a good alternative.

By the way I spotted this sentence on Engadget's review: but we're told a non-gloss version will be offered later for $100 less - 600 is still a lot but maybe the psychological effect will work on some people...

Cheers,
Crilo
I'd suggest the new Sub is going to be for the customer who perhaps has in-ceiling speakers or small bookshelf speakers running from a ZP100/ZP120/Connect:AMP or who uses Play:3 or Play:5 and wants a simple way to add some serious bass to their setup without lots of cabling. For example I was at a house the other day with Linn Sweetspots installed throughout and where the Sub would be an easy addition to fill out the low end without any major re-wiring (there was no thought about wiring for a subwoofer by the original installer).

Bear in mind that the Sub runs over the Sonos mesh so only needs power, and it also runs some simple auto-EQ routines to match the output to the speakers (i.e. it knows which Sonos device or devices it is paired to - it does work wit stereo-paired P3/5s). The new software should also allow for some simple EQ adjustments on the basis of A/B selections.

The physical design allows for upright or laid-down positioning and is ported inside the "hole" so can be right against a wall too.

I heard it last week and it did sound good running with both a single P5 and a stereo pair of P3s in quite a large room.
I'm glad to see new products released even if it isn't something I hoped for. Personally not impressed with the price point but will reserve judgement until I get a chance to hear, maybe it will be good value even at that price point.

Do many Sonos owners find the speakers lacking bass? To my ears the s5 could use less bass or maybe more tight bass for music and talk radio.