Question

Sonos Speaker / TV Setup.

• 29 July 2020
  • 3 replies

I am very far from an expert on speaker set ups, but I had an electrician wire my house for sonos using in ceiling speakers in my living room. I have one cat6 cord going from the tv in the living room to the basement to my cable box that connects the HDMI from the TV to the cable box. The amp is located next to the cable box in the living room and is connected to the speakers in the living room.

I understand that I now need to physically connect the TV to the amp via HDMI.

Is there any way to connect the TV to the sonos amp as well? They are quite far apart in the house and I only have one cat6 going to the cable box from the TV.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @sadred5.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask for some clarifications. Cat6 cable or in other words internet or ethernet cable is used for internet connection capable devices that are not capable of wireless connection. HDMI on the other hand, is for audio and video transport. based on the information provided, the TV is connected to the cable box via cat6 cable meaning cable box supplies internet to tv via cat 6 cable. the same cable box should also be connected to the TV via HDMI cable for audio and video transfer.  The Sonos Amp needs HDMI connection and we recommend directly to the TV for audio transfer. With that being said, to answer your question the only way to connect the Sonos Amp is using an HDMI cable connected to the TV via Arc port on the TV or use the HDMI to the optical adapter that came with the Sonos Amp. I would also recommend having the TV and the Sonos Amp be in the same room for volume control via the remote control using to control the TV so you would only use 1 remote control to control the volume on the speaker and the TV menu.\

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Your easiest soultion, which will not require you to move additional wires between location, is to use HDFury Arcana (which should be out in a couple of months). This device has one input and two outputs: video and audio. You will connect the input of this device to the cable box, and the outputs of this device to the TV (in the HDMI ARC port) and the Sonos amp. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to clarify. You have two different “cable boxes”, one in the basement (your modem/router I suppose) that is connected by cat6 to the other “cable box” (a settopbox I presume) in the living room next to the  that’ provides your TV with images?