Question

sonos setup with old speakers

Hi All,

What is your recommendation for the setup in my living room with the following equipment. If need other equipment(s) to make it work best, please also give your recommendation.

Old speakers:
2 floor standing Kipsche speakers
1 center Kipsche speaker

Sonos:
Sonos Amp
Sonos Sub
2 Sonos Play:1

The current setup right now is:
Sonos Amp to power the 2 floor standing speakers for front left and front right.
Sonos Sub
and the 2 Sonos Play:1 for rear left and rear right.

This is 4.1 or 5.1 (with a phantom center). The Kipsche center speaker is currently not being used. Is there a better way to set up with these equipments (and may be some additional equipment(s) )? Thank you.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi randomwalk101

Unfortunately, there is no way to utilize a 3rd party center speaker with Sonos. Is there anything else you'd like to do with Sonos?☺

Cheers!
Thank you for your reply AjTrek1

If I get another Sonos AMP to power the extra center speaker, will that work as a true 5.1 system?
Thank you for your reply AjTrek1

If I get another Sonos AMP to power the extra center speaker, will that work as a true 5.1 system?

No. There is no way to setup a center speaker with a Sonos Amp.
Thanks jgatie

I guess the only way is may be get another Play 5 gen 2 for center? Or is it not even needed? Thanks again.
Thanks jgatie

I guess the only way is may be get another Play 5 gen 2 for center? Or is it not even needed? Thanks again.

You can't do that either. The only way to get a physical center speaker is to use a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam, which have a Left/Center/Right all in one enclosure.
In what way is the phantom centre not good enough for you?
In what way is the phantom centre not good enough for you?

No reason really other than the fact that I have an extra speaker that i thought I'd like to put to use...not possible in this case i guess.

I do have a playbar in the bed room. I don't like it too much as it uses the optical cable instead of hdmi 2.1 hdmi...playbar needs an upgrade.
Sorry, what is the difference in sound quality between HDMI 2.1 and optical, for a Dolby Digital signal? I thought both were digital signals, and were, other than method of transmission, exactly the same?
In that case, I would not disturb the set up, for two reasons.
  1. The two separated front speakers will give sound for movies with a wider sound stage to better yield the effect of sounds panning across/beyond the edges of the screen than a single unit Sonos that will sit under the TV, with L/R/Centre in one box.
  2. For music play too, the separate front speakers offer a better stereo soundstage.
The one downside to the phantom centre is that you cannot turn up the sound levels of dialog without turning up all the sound. Which can be a nuisance at times with effect heavy movies - I manage that by using subtitles.
For my understanding, since I am not up to date with Sonos AV solutions:
Can one have a true 4.1 set up with just the Sonos Amp, with Sub and surrounds from Sonos and passive speakers in front? With the only thing missing compared to a legacy wired 5.1 set up being the centre speaker?
If yes, is there a mode in which this set up can also be played using a stereo music signal as a 2.1 set up, with the surrounds silent?
I assumed all of the above to be the case from the first post, but it would be good to be sure.
Yes.

No, other than the standard "unbond the surrounds" process.