Sonos S36 "Fury" Entry-Level Sound Bar

Userlevel 7

If this is true, I’m not sure what I think about it. I guess there is a market for lower-priced sound bars, and I’m sure the “Fury” would sound great in a small room. The article also mentions that it can be used as a surround speaker in its vertical orientation. That would make for a REALLY tall surround speaker at over 21” tall.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/21/23035569/sonos-new-soundbar-2022-s36-fury-specs-price-release-date

I was really hoping for a One or Three with an upward firing driver instead.

What are your thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

Article does seem speculative. And I’d be interested, if it was indeed possible to be used as half of a surround speaker, to see the stands designed for that use, as I concur that 21 inches seems long/tall. And agree that if that was indeed the case, I’d have thought upward firing might have been a bigger consideration….if you knew the orientation it was to be used in.

All that being said, I can absolutely see it as a perfect device for those with older and smaller TVs that only have an optical output, and not HDMI ARC. 

We’ll have to see about the veracity of that article, and if Sonos folks ever share advanced information with the Verge in the future ;)

Sonos actually contributed to the article, so I think that confirms it’s real.  Also, I think the reason for use as surround channel duty is that it has side firing speakers that would function as height channels in the vertical orientation.  Assuming that last point is true, Sonos wouldn’t need to create Ones with height channels, and this thing probably looks better mounted on a wall than a One does.  If there’s a table stand, wondering the stand will allow you to adjust it to change speaker angles.

edit: I was wrong.  Sonos didn’t contribute to the article.  They had no comment.

If the news is true here, then (after I’ve checked things out with a tape measure) I would certainly consider purchasing one of these for use with the small TV in our Kitchen, as we already have 2x Sonos One’s in that area, plus the ‘old’ 28” TV has optical/no Arc port - so it seems ideal for that use-case, particularly if all can be ‘bonded’ together.

Even better, if I can perhaps also keep using ‘Alexa’ on the ‘Ones’ when their acting as surrounds.🤞

Using two as vertical surrounds … I just can’t see SWMBO allowing me to fix two of these Soundbars vertical to our Lounge wall as surrounds to our Arc, but maybe if there is a ‘nice’ stand that holds them in that orientation I might take a closer look at that option.

Badge

Might consider for surrounds if it truly does 5.1.4 

One of the commenters on the verge article mentioned they would use it outdoors.  While not outdoor rated, it’s size and price might make more sense.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

These would be some mega big surround speakers, but if it makes the Atmos bubble insane, then shut up and take my money. 😂

They could even allow them as fronts as well, seeing how they are going to be vertical. 

These would be some mega big surround speakers, but if it makes the Atmos bubble insane, then shut up and take my money. 😂

They could even allow them as fronts as well, seeing how they are going to be vertical. 

In addition to an Arc or Beam upfront?  That would be interesting, but would mean connecting 2 more speakers wireless, 4 more audio channels.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

In addition to an Arc or Beam upfront?  That would be interesting, but would mean connecting 2 more speakers wireless, 4 more audio channels.

Yeah, so arc / beam as the center channel, two of these "fury's" vertical each side of the arc / beam, then two as rears. 

Would probably be overkill for a lot of people's rooms, but it would be one hell of a system. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Only thing that is disappointing after reading again, says there are no internal mics. Means there won't be like a auto calibration and seems trueplay is here to stay sigh. 

Worth noting that this would easily be the cheapest Sonos device woth some sort of physical input.  Next closest are the Port and Beam at $450. Even if your source is analog, a converter to optical isn't going to cost you $200.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Only thing that is disappointing after reading again, says there are no internal mics. Means there won't be like a auto calibration and seems trueplay is here to stay sigh. 

I think for cost obviously but for it uses it doesn’t need it. Arc has one already and it would be linked if it’s a rear. If you added ones you could have it. If it’s by itself it’s probably for a secondary tv and ehh. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That's pricing isn't far off a refurbished Beam.

I’m thinking Fury will not be the final product name.  Sticking along the same theme as Beam and Arc, here are some similar/synonyms.

joist

purlin

girder

spar

support

strut

stay

brace

scantling

batten

transom

lintel

stringer

balk

board

timber

plank

lath

If I had a vote, I’d go with ‘Strut’.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sonos Crossbeam seeing how it's a cross between the beam and rear speakers :p 

Plus also continues the alphabet - Arc, Beam ;) 

Sonos Crossbeam seeing how it's a cross between the beam and rear speakers :p 

Plus also continues the alphabet - Arc, Beam ;) 

I like it. I get the feeling Sonos marketing won’t, as it’s longer than Sonos other names.  The seem to like one syllable names with 4 letters or less.(Arc, Beam, Amp, Port, One, Five, Beam, Move).  And I bet they think it will be confused with the Beam….although confusing product names has never been a problem before.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Yeah, which is why it will probably be fury. I quite like Sonos Ray. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Knowing Sonos marketing, something confusing.

Play:Seven

Three

Beamlet

I have always thought that the ‘Arc’ and ‘Beam’ names were perhaps based on a form of ‘light’, so my guess would be ‘Sonos Ray’, ‘Sonos Glow’ (perhaps shortened to ‘Glo’), or ‘Sonos Stream’.

Userlevel 7

Sonos Ray has a nice ring to it.

I can see potential with these names too:

• Air
  • Wave
  • Pulse
  • Flow
  • Groove
  • Mix
  • Flex

Sonos Ray has a nice ring to it.

I can see potential with these names too:

• Air
  • Wave
  • Pulse
  • Flow
  • Mix
  • Flex

Flex would work, assuming it works as both soundbar and rear surround speaker.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Anyone know if the event is behind closed doors or will be streamed online? Only a month away now. 

I dunno, Danny. In the tradition of confusing names, like Arc which uses ARC, I could see them calling it PLEX, which can use Plex.

I think @Simmz those calls are for investors only, and not open to the public, per se…..but I’ve never had time to even try, so it’s possible I’m wrong there. That being said, I’ve never seen a link posted in these forums for how to listen in. 

I dunno, Danny. In the tradition of confusing names, like Arc which uses ARC, I could see them calling it PLEX, which can use Plex.

Sounds like a lawsuit.  Although ‘Flex’ is a powertool brand now I think, I imagine it’s a common enough word, and drastically different product, that it wouldn’t be a concern.

I think @Simmz those calls are for investors only, and not open to the public, per se…..but I’ve never had time to even try, so it’s possible I’m wrong there. That being said, I’ve never seen a link posted in these forums for how to listen in. 

There’s a link to the webcast here...but I don’t know if you need an invite password or something to get in.  Never watched it myself.  I believe I read the transcript from the last earnings call, and it wasn’t that interesting if you aren’t an investor.

I would bet that if there is a product announcement, they won’t go into too much detail about it on the investor call.  That will focus on how the product will help the company...pretty much what investors want to know.  There will likely be a separate press release about the new product for the press and general public to get information about it.  And likely a Sonos announcement thread in the forums where questions can be addressed.  But I guess. 

Badge +20

Probably not Flex

https://www.bluesound.com/products/pulse-flex/

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If this is true, I’m not sure what I think about it. I guess there is a market for lower-priced sound bars, and I’m sure the “Fury” would sound great in a small room. The article also mentions that it can be used as a surround speaker in its vertical orientation. That would make for a REALLY tall surround speaker at over 21” tall.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/21/23035569/sonos-new-soundbar-2022-s36-fury-specs-price-release-date

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

I am confident Sonos is well aware their Sonos 5.1.2 customer base is waiting and waiting with money in hand for a Sonos ARC 5.1.4 solution. So while I am disappointed once again that Sonos seems silent or ignoring the many requests for an ARC 5.1.4 solution all over the internet, I was somewhat encouraged by this new products “potential” for 5.1.4 as you wrote and I post below, but then again maybe wishful thinking on the part of the rumor’s author. 21” tall surround speaker does seem a bit on the unusual maybe even ridiculous, but if it does deliver 5.1.4 to my Sonos ARC, I’ll buy it. 

“Sonos anticipates that a fair number of customers will use the new soundbar as paired surrounds for the high-end Sonos Arc. And so, for that reason, the company has created a wall mount that will allow Fury — again, that’s just the codename and I’m unsure of its final branding — to be mounted vertically in addition to the standard horizontal orientation. If you’re wondering why anyone would do that, look closer at the drivers to the sides: they’re slightly angled and theoretically, when positioned vertically, they might do a better job at routing Atmos height audio towards the ceiling than something like a Sonos One SL.” -Chris Welch