Sonos S36 "Fury" Entry-Level Sound Bar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If this is true, I’m not sure what I think about it. I guess there is a market for lower-priced sound bars, and I’m sure the “Fury” would sound great in a small room. The article also mentions that it can be used as a surround speaker in its vertical orientation. That would make for a REALLY tall surround speaker at over 21” tall.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/21/23035569/sonos-new-soundbar-2022-s36-fury-specs-price-release-date

I was really hoping for a One or Three with an upward firing driver instead.

What are your thoughts?

If this is true, I’m not sure what I think about it. I guess there is a market for lower-priced sound bars, and I’m sure the “Fury” would sound great in a small room. The article also mentions that it can be used as a surround speaker in its vertical orientation. That would make for a REALLY tall surround speaker at over 21” tall.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/21/23035569/sonos-new-soundbar-2022-s36-fury-specs-price-release-date

What are your thoughts?

I am confident Sonos is well aware their Sonos 5.1.2 customer base is waiting and waiting with money in hand for a Sonos ARC 5.1.4 solution. So while I am disappointed once again that Sonos seems silent or ignoring the many requests for an ARC 5.1.4 solution all over the internet, I was somewhat encouraged by this new products “potential” for 5.1.4 as you wrote and I post below, but then again maybe wishful thinking on the part of the rumor’s author. 21” tall surround speaker does seem a bit on the unusual maybe even ridiculous, but if it does deliver 5.1.4 to my Sonos ARC, I’ll buy it. 

Price is a bit more than previously rumored. 

Also…

However, Sonos makes no mention of the rumored option to position Ray vertically as Dolby Atmos rear speakers. There are already references to the vertical orientation in the Sonos app, so it may be added later.

All the articles I’ve read suggest that the Ray can be used as a surround speaker, but it implies you’d need two, as is normal with Sonos’ software. 

Well I guess it cannot be 3 x ‘Ray’ to get atmos audio as optical does not support Atmos - so perhaps it’s a case that the two rear channels should be via another horizontally mounted Ray and that the speculation is a little off target?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I would love to get these to create 5.1.4 system but the Sonos Ray would have drivers angled downward and upward. That would seem a bit weird for Atmos content, right?

I wonder when mounted as surrounds if the downward firing driver will be inactive.  Interested in how Sonos is going to pull this off if these speakers are indeed Atmos capable. 

Only thing that is disappointing after reading again, says there are no internal mics. Means there won't be like a auto calibration and seems trueplay is here to stay sigh. 

Who cares.  You only have to do it once. I’m very likely to get two of these for rears to replace my ones and get front and rear atmos. 

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

I am confident Sonos is well aware their Sonos 5.1.2 customer base is waiting and waiting with money in hand for a Sonos ARC 5.1.4 solution. So while I am disappointed once again that Sonos seems silent or ignoring the many requests for an ARC 5.1.4 solution all over the internet, I was somewhat encouraged by this new products “potential” for 5.1.4 as you wrote and I post below, but then again maybe wishful thinking on the part of the rumor’s author. 21” tall surround speaker does seem a bit on the unusual maybe even ridiculous, but if it does deliver 5.1.4 to my Sonos ARC, I’ll buy it. 

I’m typically skeptical of claims that  everyone on the internet wants feature x.  For one thing, the person making the claim is always one of the people that wants feature x, and tends to be rather subjective, and surely informal in their information gathering.  It’s just human nature to assume that everyone else wants exactly what they want.  Not at all saying that you’re wrong for what you want, or that other people don’t feel strongly, just that that desire doesn’t mean there is a market out there that justifies a product or feature...guaranteed.

It is also often that people like the idea of something much more than the actual reality of it.  I think rear surrounds with upfiring speakers is one of those cases.  How much better atmos sound will you actually get from 4 speakers over 2?  How much content is out there where you would really notice a difference?  And the geometry of the  speaker placement, listening area, and room/ceiling dimension work out optimally?  I mean, my couch is essentially back aginst the wall, and surround speakers are about 2 feet behind seating area.  Upfiring speakers would need to be at about an 85% degree angle for me to hear them as coming from above.  I would bet these speakers are designed to be about 5 feet or more behind seating area.

I’m not trying to knock the idea really, and I would bet that Sonos is going to make these speakers usable for rear surrond and atmos.  I think it’s going to be a lot like high res audio.  People want it and may feel good about the purchase, but aren’t really going to notice any audio difference in their room.  They’ll be able to feel good about having 5.1.4 setup though.  And Sonos will be happy to give the people what they want.

Yeah completely wrong. Rear atmos will add a lot and allow Sonos to catch up with competitors who already have front and rear. 

I think the key aspect that at least I read out of @melvimbe ‘s response was the amount of Atmos content out there is relatively low. It’s effective for those few (less than 5%?) movies that have it, but it isn’t a common thing yet, so if Sonos were indeed to jump on that bandwagon, they’d be jumping on a currently unproven source. Kind of like how many TV manufacturers jumped on the 3D bandwagon, before it was a common technology.

But it does beg the question of the egg and the chicken, too, so who knows. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I just wish it was the mini sub being released as I’d love one of those to go with my Fives in my lounge!

It is also often that people like the idea of something much more than the actual reality of it.  I think rear surrounds with upfiring speakers is one of those cases.  How much better atmos sound will you actually get from 4 speakers over 2?  How much content is out there where you would really notice a difference?  And the geometry of the  speaker placement, listening area, and room/ceiling dimension work out optimally?  I mean, my couch is essentially back aginst the wall, and surround speakers are about 2 feet behind seating area.  Upfiring speakers would need to be at about an 85% degree angle for me to hear them as coming from above.  I would bet these speakers are designed to be about 5 feet or more behind seating area.

I’m not trying to knock the idea really, and I would bet that Sonos is going to make these speakers usable for rear surrond and atmos.  I think it’s going to be a lot like high res audio.  People want it and may feel good about the purchase, but aren’t really going to notice any audio difference in their room.  They’ll be able to feel good about having 5.1.4 setup though.  And Sonos will be happy to give the people what they want.

I disagree. The desire for two more height channels is not just so people can “feel good about having a 5.1.4 setup”. For me, there is a pretty significant and noticeable difference between listening to Dolby Atmos content compared to stereo or regular 5.1 content. I can CLEARLY hear the height channels when watching movies or listening to music in Atmos. But currently, with a 5.1.2 setup, the height channel audio can only be heard on the front half of my room, not the back half. Since Dolby Atmos audio is object based, when there should be height audio on the back half of the room, it is missing without those two rear upward firing drivers. Adding two more height channels at the rear for a 5.1.4 setup would only add to the immersive experience and complete that “bubble” of sound that Dolby Atmos audio creates.

I agree that atmos is better than a typical 5.1 setup.  I just have my doubts that 5.1.4 setup with all the atmos audio coming from upfiring speakers is going to be noticeably better than 5.1.2 given the limitations and geometry of the typical home setup.  Here’s the setup guide for a 7.1.4 system, and I will not be able to properly place the surround speakers to get the right effect from rear surround. Happy to be wrong if that’s the case.

Userlevel 7

Maybe you know this already, but the war movie “1917” on Dolby Atmos/4K Blu-ray, night flare scene is at least in my environment and Sonos arc 5.1.2 setup, a repeatable height speaker effect bonanza. I've a small list of other digital content I have had the opportunity to verify and single out audible height effect for myself as well.

I actually have 1917 on Blu-ray but haven’t had the chance to watch it yet. I saw an early screening of the film in the theater and thought it was pretty incredible. I’ll be sure to check out the night flare scene for the height channel effects. I’m sure it will sound great.

I agree that atmos is better than a typical 5.1 setup.  I just have my doubts that 5.1.4 setup with all the atmos audio coming from upfiring speakers is going to be noticeably better than 5.1.2 given the limitations and geometry of the typical home setup.  Here’s the setup guide for a 7.1.4 system, and I will not be able to properly place the surround speakers to get the right effect from rear surround. Happy to be wrong if that’s the case.

Yes, many users will have limitations with their room setup. And those people will probably not gain any noticeable improvement with rear upward firing drivers. Your room limitations are probably why you haven’t been that impressed with Dolby Atmos content from the Arc in general. But many other users (including myself) do have an ideal room setup where the Arc’s upward firing drivers are very effective at producing height effects, and the addition of two more height channels will only result in a more immersive experience.

I think the key aspect that at least I read out of @melvimbe ‘s response was the amount of Atmos content out there is relatively low. It’s effective for those few (less than 5%?) movies that have it, but it isn’t a common thing yet, so if Sonos were indeed to jump on that bandwagon, they’d be jumping on a currently unproven source. Kind of like how many TV manufacturers jumped on the 3D bandwagon, before it was a common technology.

I am probably the exception, but I have a collection of about 200 Blu-ray discs and over 90 of those titles have Dolby Atmos audio. And many new, high-profile releases on Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max and Apple TV+ have Dolby Atmos audio. The Batman is a perfect example. I also recently watched the first two episodes of the new documentary Our Great National Parks with Barack Obama on Netflix and it has Dolby Atmos audio. And if you go on Apple Music or Amazon Music Unlimited, the amount of music available in Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio is pretty extensive.

All of that to say, I believe there is A LOT of really good Dolby Atmos content out there both on physical media and streaming, and it will only become more common in the years to come.

Yes, many users will have limitations with their room setup. And those people will probably not gain any noticeable improvement with rear upward firing drivers. Your room limitations are probably why you haven’t been that impressed with Dolby Atmos content from the Arc in general. But many other users (including myself) do have an ideal room setup where the Arc’s upward firing drivers are very effective at producing height effects, and the addition of two more height channels will only result in a more immersive experience.

You quoted me saying that atmos is better than 5.1, so I don’t  know how you concluded that I’m not impressed with dolby atmos or the Arc.  I’m just not convinced that 4 upfiring speakers is better than 2, in a typical home environment.  I would love to be wrong about that.

I am probably the exception, but I have a collection of about 200 Blu-ray discs and over 90 of those titles have Dolby Atmos audio. And many new, high-profile releases on Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max and Apple TV+ have Dolby Atmos audio. The Batman is a perfect example. I also recently watched the first two episodes of the new documentary Our Great National Parks with Barack Obama on Netflix and it has Dolby Atmos audio. And if you go on Apple Music or Amazon Music Unlimited, the amount of music available in Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio is pretty extensive.

All of that to say, I believe there is A LOT of really good Dolby Atmos content out there both on physical media and streaming, and it will only become more common in the years to come.

To be clear on this point as well, I agree that there is a lot of Atmos content out there.  I am not convinced, and I am mostly guessing here, that there is a lot of content that’s created to sound better with 4 atmos speakers than 2.  Again, happy to be wrong about that.

For me, this looks interesting as a speaker for my home office. 21 inches or so will fit under my main monitor easily. 🤔 

I think that’s going to be another good use for this, although I think a lot of computers/laptops don’t have optical output.  An HDMI→ optical, or analog → optical, convertor will be required.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I came to post that, I went through the pre order page but nothing suggests or says that the Ray can be used as a surround speaker 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Meh let down. It's been a good journey Sonos, sadly it's the end of the road. I pick up my Sony HT-A9 tomorrow. :) 

Honestly, I’m happy if the Ray won’t be used for surrounds. I never really liked the idea of using that size/shape speaker as surrounds to begin with. And $558 for a pair of surround speakers is a little pricey.

If I were you, I would wait for the May 25 announcement. I have a feeling what they announce on the 25th will be much bigger than what was released today.

No they won't. The May 25th event has already happened... It was brought forward, most likely due to the leaks. You have a Ray and coloured roams. 😞 Guessing with their new voice control stuff coming, that will be it for this year. If I'm wrong, well then I'll hold my hand up. But in the home theatre side they have fallen behind now. No mention of new rears and no DTS codecs means I sadly won't miss it. Maybe I'll return one day, but for now it's goodbye.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Goodbye old, hello new. Had to buy a new TV stand for them to fit. Hates me to say it, but they sounds miles better than the Arc, sub and rears. :( Trying to convince the wife to let me use the Sonos in a different room and not sell though, so shall see how that goes. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Goodbye old, hello new. Had to buy a new TV stand for them to fit. Hates me to say it, but they sounds miles better than the Arc, sub and rears. :( Trying to convince the wife to let me use the Sonos in a different room and not sell though, so shall see how that goes. 

Have you got the sub also? Tempted to chage my ARC for the sony setup… How do you find it with no dedicated centre channel?

Could the mods move the off topic stuff to another thread?  I know certain posters wish to bash the Arc and pump the Sony in every thread possible, but can we please keep those posts out of a thread about a device which is neither the Arc or the Sony?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Meh let down. It's been a good journey Sonos, sadly it's the end of the road. I pick up my Sony HT-A9 tomorrow. :) 

I am super happy with the Sonos Arc 5.1.2 system in my environment. Particularly for Dolby Atmos and very clear dialogue. But one day, I'd like to compare with the Sony HT-A9 4.1.4 ...in my environment. OTOH, and like many “all over the internet” hoping Sonos will come with upward firing capable rear surrounds in the not too distant future and I wonder which I’ll get my hands on sooner as the Sony HT-A9 seems to be unobtainium for months now and Sonos seems to be focused on products for the lower end of the market IMO 🤷🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Goodbye old, hello new. Had to buy a new TV stand for them to fit. Hates me to say it, but they sounds miles better than the Arc, sub and rears. 😞 Trying to convince the wife to let me use the Sonos in a different room and not sell though, so shall see how that goes. 

Have you got the sub also? Tempted to chage my ARC for the sony setup… How do you find it with no dedicated centre channel?

No, haven't got the sub yet. I will be adding it, but need to save some more cash haha. Center channel is fine upon the tests I've done. Only tried it for around an hour so far, but can't say I notice not having a center channel. The height effects though are so good and that's where it really makes the arc sound weak. I like new technology and hats of to the Sony engineers on this one. 

Goodbye old, hello new. Had to buy a new TV stand for them to fit. Hates me to say it, but they sounds miles better than the Arc, sub and rears. 😞 Trying to convince the wife to let me use the Sonos in a different room and not sell though, so shall see how that goes. 

No, haven't got the sub yet. I will be adding it, but need to save some more cash haha. Center channel is fine upon the tests I've done. Only tried it for around an hour so far, but can't say I notice not having a center channel. The height effects though are so good and that's where it really makes the arc sound weak. I like new technology and hats of to the Sony engineers on this one. 

My dream scenario Arc 5.1.2 vs HT-A9 4.1.4 One of these days...

Article does seem speculative. And I’d be interested, if it was indeed possible to be used as half of a surround speaker, to see the stands designed for that use, as I concur that 21 inches seems long/tall. And agree that if that was indeed the case, I’d have thought upward firing might have been a bigger consideration….if you knew the orientation it was to be used in.

All that being said, I can absolutely see it as a perfect device for those with older and smaller TVs that only have an optical output, and not HDMI ARC. 

We’ll have to see about the veracity of that article, and if Sonos folks ever share advanced information with the Verge in the future ;)

Sonos actually contributed to the article, so I think that confirms it’s real.  Also, I think the reason for use as surround channel duty is that it has side firing speakers that would function as height channels in the vertical orientation.  Assuming that last point is true, Sonos wouldn’t need to create Ones with height channels, and this thing probably looks better mounted on a wall than a One does.  If there’s a table stand, wondering the stand will allow you to adjust it to change speaker angles.

edit: I was wrong.  Sonos didn’t contribute to the article.  They had no comment.

One of the commenters on the verge article mentioned they would use it outdoors.  While not outdoor rated, it’s size and price might make more sense.

These would be some mega big surround speakers, but if it makes the Atmos bubble insane, then shut up and take my money. 😂

They could even allow them as fronts as well, seeing how they are going to be vertical. 

In addition to an Arc or Beam upfront?  That would be interesting, but would mean connecting 2 more speakers wireless, 4 more audio channels.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

These would be some mega big surround speakers, but if it makes the Atmos bubble insane, then shut up and take my money. 😂

They could even allow them as fronts as well, seeing how they are going to be vertical. 

In addition to an Arc or Beam upfront?  That would be interesting, but would mean connecting 2 more speakers wireless, 4 more audio channels.

Yeah, so arc / beam as the center channel, two of these "fury's" vertical each side of the arc / beam, then two as rears. 

Would probably be overkill for a lot of people's rooms, but it would be one hell of a system.