Sonos S14 thoughts and wishes

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hi. I actually enlisted all my Sonos for sale, as I think Sonos isn't up to date and actually doesn't have the visions to be (for us surround users) updated, only for multiroom purpose.

BUT, now s14 is in the horizon which is rumored to have hdmi. For at start I think its nice, since I will be able to control Sonos sound on my Apple TV remote app.
In this scenario, it would be nice and some kind of a must if this S14 has at least one hdmi input.I use all my hdmi inputs on my old b6 and would have to skip one unit in order to make place for at Sonos soundbar with hdmi. I think many Sonos users use all of their hdmi inputs on tv as its kind of the thoughts - the tv is the hub.
BUT isn't this against Sonos´s "bulletproof" philosophy?. im thinking on handshake issues, personally I could think Sonos only supports sound on hdmi, in order to avoid handshake issues.
Well it may have a hdmi 2.1 socket which have the capacity to potentially fix many of these hdmi issues.
Which brings me to my next thought - atmosphere is the shi... right now and is quite common, is it really realistic to think Sonos AND atmos.
Well hardwarewise I could think a Sonos connect for atmosphere or play one/1.

How about the design? The blueprints shows a square?

What are your thoughts and wishes for this new home theater unit?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Looks small compared to the Playbar if you take size of the buttons. Maybe it will just be a Center Channel.

And, it's not square?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Looks small compared to the Playbar if you take size of the buttons. Maybe it will just be a Center Channel.

And where are supposed to be the internal speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
speakers would be facing the front if it has speakers.... like the playbase
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
This playbar seems very similar to the one in the picture...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/7/17321624/google-android-tv-jbl-link-bar-i-o-2018-pricing-release-date
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea looks similar

What an annoying commercial by jbl.
Interesting that an article about a JBL product spent have the time talking about Sonos. More interesting tough in that such a product (Sonos/Fire TV, not JBL/ Android TV) would definitely be something I'm interested in.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
He first rumours we heard earlier this year was a mini soundbar with hdmi.(notes from a former Sonos employe)
More recent rumours says its a speaker and a center speaker.
As for now im putting my money on a center speaker Where you can assign play1 as front left, right and rears.
I just dont think atmos is in that soundbar. I cross my fingers, but i dont think so
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
He first rumours we heard earlier this year was a mini soundbar with hdmi.(notes from a former Sonos employe)
As for now im putting my money on a center speaker Where you can assign play1 as front left, right and rears.
I just dont think atmos is in that soundbar. I cross my fingers, but i dont think so

It doesn't need to be in the soundbar if this new device is just a center channel 🙂 If you have a look some of the first atmos speakers on the market were from Klipsch and their atmos speakers are just small little drivers that fit on top of the left/right/rear channel speakers and fire upwards towards the roof

If this new device is a center channel only and you can pair some play 1's to make 5.1 or 7.1 as your choosing, all Sonos needs to be is release a new play 1 speakers and put an additional driver in the top of the speaker facing up for the upward channel OR alternatively Sonos just needs to release a mini atmos speaker that can fit on top of your existing play 1, that will work to like this: https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-140SA-Dolby-Atmos-Speaker/dp/B00ZIQZBTG

Here I've uploaded what it looks like: See this speaker just fits on top of the existing left/right/rear speaker and points upwards - sonos could do the same thing, sell a upward facing speaker that just fits on top of your play 1 or play 3
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It doesn't need to be in the soundbar if this new device is just a center channel 🙂 If you have a look some of the first atmos speakers on the market were from Klipsch and their atmos speakers are just small little drivers that fit on top of the left/right/rear channel speakers and fire upwards towards the roof

If this new device is a center channel only and you can pair some play 1's to make 5.1 or 7.1 as your choosing, all Sonos needs to be is release a new play 1 speakers and put an additional driver in the top of the speaker facing up for the upward channel OR alternatively Sonos just needs to release a mini atmos speaker that can fit on top of your existing play 1, that will work to like this: https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-140SA-Dolby-Atmos-Speaker/dp/B00ZIQZBTG

Here I've uploaded what it looks like: See this speaker just fits on top of the existing left/right/rear speaker and points upwards - sonos could do the same thing, sell a upward facing speaker that just fits on top of your play 1 or play 3

A guy on Reddit was emailing the Sonos CEO last fall and the CEO confirmed that they were actively looking into incorporating Atmos. Makes sense since now you can stream Atmos content.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Naekyr - I think atmos COULD be part of this new soundbar since atmos is on streaming services now a days (as you also mentioned)
But I don think it will be via an dedicated upfiring speaker to place on top on Sonos1/3.
What if a connect with 2 channels could be used?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ugh, I have a real dilemma now. I just bought a Playbase, I like the form factor (my tv sits too low to accommodate a sound bar without a new stand, which I don't want because the one I have looks nice.) and I am overall happy with it. However, if there is a possibility of a new model with more capabilities (HDMI, DD+, Alexa, Atmos, etc.) then I am going to feel terrible if that comes out right after I put down $700.

The thing is I have until May 27th to return it, but that's not long enough to wait for the event and see what is announced. I have a feeling I'm going to need to return it and hope there is a legit Playbase update with no downsides (like what if they use cheaper speakers/amps/whatever?). I guess I can always just buy another Playbase (maybe) if a replacement is announced, but returning stuff and setting up new ones is a PITA.

Also, how would they implement Dolby Atmos on a Playbase? It seems like the tv stand would have a good chance of blocking any upward-firing speakers (my stand covers nearly the entire surface of the Playbase) unless they went to a wedge-shaped front, or maybe had small wireless outboard Atmos speakers? I dunno, it seems tricky while maintaining the elegance of the Playbase design.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I dont think the playbase will have atmos ability - i think it will stay on marked as a simple soundbar solution.
After all i think Sonos released this new center speaker for those who want a more fullfilled surround experience.
After all this marked for simple allmlst wireless surround is huge and i have wondered for years why Sonos didnt want their cut of this huge marked. Maybe things turns out that way now.
I sure believe this new speaker will be a center speaker and then it is up to you to parten it with play 1/3/5.
I still hope atmos will be in somehow but im not that confident in that matter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Playbase can’t ever do atmos. It can’t be sent via toslink.
I don't see Sonos coming out with atmos speakers that are designed to fit on top of the Play:1 or the Play:3. That tops aren't level or have a lot of surface area. It probably won't look that great either. As well, the Play:1 is likely to be phased out in favor of the Sonos One (where the mics are already on top) and the Play:3 is pretty old. I would bet that all new Sonos products come out with mics on them, likely on top if applicable. Then of course, why discourage sales of the Play:5 by making it incompatible with these theoretical speakers?

And, Sonos has only announced one new product, not two. And Sonos would have to wireless communicate with additional channel(s). I don't know much about atmos, but if can be done well with speakers in center channel/soundbar, why wouldn't Sonos opt for that? It just makes life a lot easier for them and for the customers.

As for an upgraded playbase with atmos, I don't see that happening till next year at the earliest. I think (I guess) more customers are interested in soundbars and/or center channels then a playbase. Really, if this new product is just a center channel, then there really isn't much need for a playbase version.

The new product won't come out to the fall regardless, so it may be worthwhile to keep your new playbase for a year or so before upgrading. I don't know what the used market is for playbases.

Also, there some tricks to raise your tv up a bit to make room for a sound bar if needed. One way is to place hockey pucks under the legs of the tv. This works especially well if your stand is black. I went the option of actually mounting the tv on the wall behind the stand a few inches above the stand. Not a good option if you don't like or can't drill into the walls. Neither is a good option if you have a height restriction issue.
Interesting quote:

For example, if Sonos wants to build a smart speaker -- as it is rumored to be doing -- SoundHound could provide the intelligence.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2018/05/03/build-your-own-alexa-soundhound-just-got-100m-from-tencent-to-give-every-brand-an-ai-driven-voice/#2ebc8e8c4048

May explain why Sonos is taking soooooo looooong getting Alexa fully functional. Their voice engineers have been busy customizing Soundify for a super nice Sonos voice Assistant for the S14.

Bets?
I'm not betting on it. I just think there is too much not music/speaker related that Alexa and Google do that Sonos doesn't want to recreate. There all those various skills, smart home control, and so on.

However, there are clearly features Sonos needs that Alexa and Google are not as inclined to implement. Those being grouping, better ducking, and more importantly, access to local libraries and competing music services. I imagine there are customers who are more interested in this and would happily by a dot or a google mini for everything else.

But is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Perhaps if Sonos would allow a secondary wake work so that you talk to Alexa or you could talk directly to Sonos? Or perhaps this voice assistant is some sort of shared project where smart home control is filled in by Samsung, and various information is filled in by other companies participating in the process? If the later is the case, it feels like that would be a long way off. And the project feels like it's more about creating an engine all participating companies can use for their own purposes in separate instance, not so much creating one giant engine they all share to compete with the existing big players.

Thinking about it more, I'd still bet against it coming to pass anytime soon, but not as strongly as originally thought.
Userlevel 4
Playbase can’t ever do atmos. It can’t be sent via toslink.
Actually, it does have a fast ethernet port with submillisecond latency and enough bandwidth to carry Atmos. The port connectivity is not the problem. The lack of onboard Atmos-capable signal processing is the problem. They'd have to build an external decoding box to plug into that ethernet port, one with so many smarts that it'd basically be the a replacement for the Connect.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Not sure if we can post links here so I'll just tell you guys

As if we need more evidence of a new soundbar - bestbuy is trying to move Playbase stock

If you go into the bestbuy store (not online) - you can buy the Playbase for 60% off - yes the Playbase is $280 at bestbuy, discounted from its normal price of $699
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Pretty good deal if Playbar fits well in your system.

Thinking about it more, I'd still bet against it coming to pass anytime soon, but not as strongly as originally thought.

I’ll bet you a nickel they have been looking at Soundify since the get go (I figured as much aloud here back then). Alexa probably won out because it was extremely well documented, Amazon made commitments, it looked easier, etc, etc. But, while it brings a lot of things, like AI and connectivity to devices, it brings a lot of limitations, too, like a very limited set of supported services, no support for local files, etc. Soundify would allow Sonos to voice-enable all services and local files, something the CEO has said is coming, possibly this year. Alexa isn’t going anywhere, Google is next, but Soundify may very well be in Sonos future, too. “Hey Sonos! Group Kitchen and Living Room!” “OK”. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Good stuff chicks!
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Oh i forgot, i would really like to be able to use wireless Bluetooth headphones on Sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It much way to ever do that except with a Connect (only Sonos device with output)
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Oh i forgot, i would really like to be able to use wireless Bluetooth headphones on Sonos

Not being sarcastic, but what for exactly? I’m struggling to think of an use case that is not better addressed by having the same stream play direct (to headphones). Curious what the purpose of powering on a lot of speakers, only to put on headphones would be. I’m probably missing the point though ?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Well all most any modern receiver has an Bluetooth output.
I have a pair of b&w p7 wireless - sure i can use it for Movies on Apple tv (atv has Bluetooth output).
But im not able to have audio from DVB-c or any streaming services on my smart tv.
Sure its not Sonos’s “problem” but its would be a nice fix.
I would be so much easier If i wouldnt have to shift Bluetooth Connectivity from atv 4k to ps4 an still miss out on Netflix because of no options for headphone audio:)