Answered

Sonos Placement in a Great ROom

• 27 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hello All!

Just moved into a new home and trying to figure out how to place my Sonos system. I have the Playbar, Sub, and two Play 1:s.

In my old house i had a pretty small living room so it was easy to mount the surround speakers (Play: 1's) on the wall at head level to the left and right of the couch.

In our new home I'm told the Family Room/Kitchen Combo is now called a "Great Room". So I don't have a wall behind where my couch is. To the left of the couch (if you're sitting on it) is large windows, and to the right of the couch is a hallway that leads to the other rooms.

So since I have a window on one side and nothing on the other side I'm lost to where I can place my Sonos speakers safely. Back up plan is getting a Speaker stand, but I really don't want to do that with cables and such lying around.

So I'm thinking maybe I could mount them on the wall on either side. One side would have to be above the window where there is a gap between the window and ceiling. And on the right there is an overhang where I could possibly mount the speaker as well. This would mean I would need to have an electrician add a power plug in both areas which would add a lot of extra costs to this, but if it's the best bet it'll have to do.

Just wondering if other people have similar issues or a floor plan and what you guys did.

Also what is the thought of having the Surround speakers mounted high up pointed at an angle towards the couch?

I have included an extremely bad picture of the rough layout of our Great Room. If it helps at all they are 9ft ceilings as well.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 January 2019, 04:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For really big sound but minimal room intrusion in wall speakers and subs are a great (but expensive) option, I like them a lot more than ceiling mounted or through-ceiling mounts. They may have a bit more impact on neighboring rooms, also an issue with a second story above through-ceiling mounts.

The Sonos setup gets you pretty good sound and minimal intrusion but you do have to run power and I'd run Ethernet too.
Badge
Hi sufficientlyrelieved

Congrats on your new home! You could use a ceiling mount shown in the link. Depending upon whats above the great room you could have an electrician install electrical outlets in the ceiling. You can also get short Sonos power cables for a ceiling application or have an electrician alter the existing cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexson-Ceiling-Mount-Sonos-Play/dp/B00JUQ65JA/ref=asc_df_B00JUQ65JA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309820257524&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2909146696450122216&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023909&hvtargid=pla-467678015958&psc=1

Another option is to have electrical out lets installed in the floor and use stands.

Cheers!

Thanks for the recommendation! I thought about ceiling mounts for my Play:1's, but thought they might look a little weird hanging down in the middle of the room, which is why i was opting to wall mount my speakers but at a higher height (around 8ft high in a 9ft ceiling room).

I was concerned a little if sound quality or effect would diminish quite a bit with it being not ear level.

Also was wondering if you guys had any secret set ups I might not have thought about in terms of getting this done. I'm actually surprised there isn't more Great Room placement questions as it seems a lot of homes are going that route now for design.
Userlevel 7
Hi sufficientlyrelieved

Congrats on your new home! You could use a ceiling mount shown in the link. Depending upon whats above the great room you could have an electrician install electrical outlets in the ceiling. You can also get short Sonos power cables for a ceiling application or have an electrician alter the existing cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexson-Ceiling-Mount-Sonos-Play/dp/B00JUQ65JA/ref=asc_df_B00JUQ65JA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309820257524&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2909146696450122216&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023909&hvtargid=pla-467678015958&psc=1

Another option is to have electrical out lets installed in the floor and use stands.

Cheers!