Answered

Sonos Pairing with Samsung Q9 Series TVs One Box technology

• 2 December 2018
  • 5 replies

Has anyone had problems pairing Sonos playbar, etc with Samsung Q9 TVs ? A couple of reviews on Best Buy indicate that this is a problem. Would like to know before I purchase the TV
icon

Best answer by controlav 3 December 2018, 14:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I recently got a QN75Q6FNAFXZA from BestBuy and it works fine with my Playbar. What problems are they claiming? My TV has an average rating of 4.8 and I don't see any Sonos references in the 218 reviews.
Controlav, Thanks for the reply. You are right about not believing everything you read. The problem seems to be only with the Q9 series because of the new One Box connect system it uses to attach all other devices through one port into the TV and have the controls of those devices done with InfraRed. Problem is not with your model
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The OneConnect box isn't anything new for Samsung. TV models of theirs in past years have used it too. 2017 QLED models have had it and the OneRemote Bluetooth remote too. It's very much possible to program the TV/remote to work with Sonos home theater speakers.

You might check out this Sonos support article... maybe print it out with you and take it with you to the store.

Configure Sonos home theater speakers with Samsung One Remote

If you opt for a Beam, you don't even need to worry about the infrared bit, since the TV will send volume control commands over the HDMI connection.
How on earth does "don't believe everything you read..." become a best answer - not helpful at all. The Samsung OneConnect controls the Playbar through infrared and not the optical cable. If you do not have line of sight or reflection from OneConnect to the Playbar, then then volume control won't work even though the audio transmits via optical. Very disappointing design / implementation for both Samsung and Sonos.
I have a 2018 QLED with one connectbox and a playbar. It works fine. Just don't place the one connectbox in a closed cabin. I however have mine placed behind a curtain and it still works. there must be enough room for the infra red signal to reach the playbar. apparently it bounces around my room enough to work or something like that.