Answered

Sonos One, Three, or Five as Center with Sonos Amp

• 22 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
I have my TV in a large, echoing room. For sound I use a Sonos Amp connected to four in ceiling speakers and a Sonos Sub. The sound is decent when turned up, but dialog is tough to understand unless very loud.

I have a table behind my couch. I bought some Play:1’s to use with the Amp so I could hear dialog. Unfortunately, when in surround mode they do not produce dialog. Is there a way to use these as a center channel to hear mainly dialog? I tried using them in a group with the Amp and it was difficult to control volume appropriately. Is it possible to use any Sonos speaker as a center channel besides the sound bars? Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 April 2019, 00:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, Sonos does not provide any way of creating a center channel speaker. They offer three soundbars which contain the Left, Center and Right speakers, and the Sonos Amp, which creates a "phantom" center channel when using your own speakers. But there's no efficient way to use a single speaker as a center channel.
Userlevel 2
If I buy one of the soundbars, can I use it as a center and the Sonos Amp speakers as right and left channels (not rear surrounds)?
Nope, Sonos doesn't support that functionality, despite hundreds (as a guess) of requests for such a functionality.
Userlevel 2
Thank you for your response.