Question

Sonos One Rears as Surrounds

• 7 December 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 21 replies

Hello - purchased a Beam, Sub and Two Sonos Gen 2 One for surround system.  When playing from TV and ATV4, I don’t hear much from the rears.  Is that normal.  I did do the calibration.

I also purchased the Playbar, but doubt will keep it since technology wise it is not up to date, although I do think it sounds better than the Beam.

Also - I am trying the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar and that my sound the best with more depth.  Really would like the Sonos to work out though, as I like the Airplay ability.  The Beam does not seem to have the same depth as the Playbar or Ambeo, especially when just watching regular tv shows.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hi DBV

When a viewing material without a surround track the rears will be very low to silent. The best way to determine that your surrounds are working properly is to view programing or Disc that you know has a surround track. Then open the app to Settings > About My system >scroll to the room with the Playbar and/or Beam and look for Audio In: The choices will read as  DD5.1 or Stereo. The later indicates that there is no surround track.

Also, know that Sonos does not recognize DD+, Dolby Atmos or DTS codecs.

If you are having the issue when playing music click the link to make them play in Full Stereo:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927#surround_settings

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!