Answered

Sonos In Ceiling speakers with Home Theater

• 8 February 2021
  • 4 replies

I have pre-wire for 5 in ceiling speakers.  Is it possible to use 5 sonos in ceiling speakers and use my existing sonos subwoofer for a 5.1 setup?  I have a playbar, but l’d rather not use it as it forces my tv to be too high above our fireplace mantle.  If so, outside of the 5 sonos in ceiling speakers and the sub, what else is needed to get it all operational?  Thanks for the help!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 8 February 2021, 03:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

You can use 4 of the 5 speakers. You’ll need two Sonos Amps - one to power the two front speakers and one to power the two rear surround speakers. You’ll connect your TV to the first Amp via HDMI ARC. The two front speakers will produce a “phantom” center channel. And you can add your Sonos Sub to complete the 4.1 system.

Thanks, that is a big help.  Though I am curious what that would sound like.  

Userlevel 7

I personally think using your Playbar or Beam would sound much better than your front in-ceiling speakers. Then you would only need one Amp to power your rear speakers and you would have a full 5.1 setup (with your Sub).

No question that would be the better setup.