Sonos Connect Connectivity: HDMI

• 26 March 2013
  • 17 replies

Are there plans to release a Sonos Connect type device with HDMI connectivity? Here's why I ask. The HDMI connection between my TV and receiver allows my TV to both power up the receiver and to directly control the volume level of the receiver. (not just the line level out to the receiver) I would love to be able to do this with a Sonos type device. I picture walking into the house after a long day, opening up the Sonos app on my phone or tablet, playing a track and the Sonos device automatically powering up my receiver (including direct volume control). All this without having to walk to the hi-fi component shelf to power up the receiver and choose a suitable volume level etc..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Add to this thought ... why not enable the SONOS device to be controlled directly from my smart TV via HDMI and the TV remote. My coffee table is already clutter with a host of remotes, why add to the clutter?
I agree.  Especially like to be able to control the volume of the receiver directly. i.e. adjusting volume level after DAC conversion on the receiver.
Please add HDMI to the Sonos Connect! I have tried the connect tied in with my receiver to play sonos in my family room through my surround speakers, but my wife can't seem to figure out that she needs to turn on the receiver to make it work. All the Sonos speakers work without turning anything on, so she assumes the sound will come out of the family room speakers as well.

If the connect could power up my receiver like the TV does, then everything would work as it should. Are there plans to add HDMI? I have given up on Sonos in the family room until then. I would gladly fork out another $350 for another connect if it had HDMI. Without, it's useless to me.
The current SONOS connect is operating on old technology. As soon as the connect is hdmi 1.4 compatible, I will purchase one. Until then, only a fool would invest A$500+ in the current (and functionally limited) optically driven connect. The rest of my system talks via hdmi, why not SONOS?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I entirely agree. The current Connect it outdated and an HDMI output is a must.
I am playing with Testflight, but my HDMI switching receive cannot play audio from one input and video from another (i.e. Apple TV). Need Sonos HDMI connection with embedded music visuals
Badge +1
Middle of 2018 and still no HDMI option for the connect. Come on guys. Geez.
Middle of 2018 and the Sonos Beam has been announced, featuring HDMI-ARC. Geez.
What feature are you wanting to gain through an HDMI connection? If you're wanting to use HDMI ARC to control the receiver as someone above suggested, that's not really the best option. Sonos has the 'Works with Sonos' program going now where a receiver with wifi can be controlled through the Sonos app for things like input switching and volume control.. Onkyo/Pioneer has signed up for it.

https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos/

It's not ideal yet by any means, but I think it'll get there when other receivers get on board...hopefully cheaper ones. And I personally like this method much better, so that the HDMI ARC can connect the reciever to the tv where it can better more useful functionality.

I'm not sure what else you want from an HDMI connection in the Connect. I'd like to see an upgrade to the Connect with voice control added maybe, but nothing to do with hdmi really.
Middle of 2018 and still no HDMI option for the connect. Come on guys. Geez.The purpose of the Connect is to turn a conventional hifi system into a Sonos player. Why would it need HDMI?
Badge +1
HDMI ARC support would be nice. I just bought it and will test it out this next week and see how it mixes with my system. I am using zone two with some in-ceiling speakers outside so it will be nice to have those working when using all of the Sonos speakers. I am running 8 of the Sonos One with Alexa in our smart home and 2 play 5s. Adding this will add the 5.2 system in the living room and keep me from needing to add a sub in that room. Now that only leaves me with needing a solution for the gym. Was really hoping for a playbar with Alexa (not beam) and a sub for that room then I'm done unless I decide to add 2 Sonos One in stereo for the garage. Just trying to get it all figured out and only just got into Sonos about a month ago.
I am still unclear what you want to achieve with a Connect. It isn't designed for TV applications. Can you clarify?
Seriously, if there is an applciation for HDMI ARC with the Connect, I'm really curious to know what that is. If you want the connect (and thus the Sonos app) to control your receiver, that's best done through the Works with Sonos program as I mentioned earlier. Even then, I doubt it's going to allow you to do much control of your zone 2 on the receiver.

Speaking of your zone 2, you may want to look at taking those off of your your 5.1 setup and powering them with a separate connect:amp. That will obviously give you full control through the Sonos app. I probably would do that move before the sub in the gym or speakers in the garage, personally.
Badge +1
I have a 2 channel, a 3 channel and a 5 channel separate amp. I am bi-amping the front and using 7 channels and zone 2 in ceilings have the other 2 channels leaving me one extra. The subs are the PB13s and I hope they mix well. Excited the find out.
Badge +1
Photo of the space

Middle of 2018 and still no HDMI option for the connect. Come on guys. Geez.The purpose of the Connect is to turn a conventional hifi system into a Sonos player. Why would it need HDMI?
The hdmi connection would allow the connect to turn on the receiver and set the correct input automatically when it starts streaming music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The hdmi connection would allow the connect to turn on the receiver and set the correct input automatically when it starts streaming music.

I think Sonos’ solution for that is the works with sonos programme which allows a compatible receiver to do all that. So I highly doubt that they’ll update the connect - at least not for that purpose. Pioneer/Onkyo receivers that WWS have that functionality built in.