Answered

Sonos Beam short IR range with TV remote

same here. I tried 2 remotes. they do work but I have to point super close. hopefully a software update will help. I am using alexa now for volume control
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 16 August 2018, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Had same problem. Tried several remotes, all had the same limited range of a few feet. Moved the unit into kitchen to avoid possible interference with plasma tv with no change.

Solution: returned unit and got a new one. Remote works from 20 feet away.
Badge
@Pierre O that's great to hear! I traded in mine for a new one at the "same store" but has the "same issue"
Tech support at Sonos told me it could be an entire faulty batch at that store! Maybe i should contact them and ask for another one directly from them ( Sonos )
so did I. returned and the new Beam (from a different store) is working fine with my IR remote. so it is a hardware issue.
Badge
@smartandee & @Pierro O, from witch countries are you guys? I'm from Holland! This will maybe point out how wide spread this problem actually is.
Anyway i contacted Sonos and i will be getting my 3rd Beam now, but this time directly from them! I'll report if this fixes my problem too.
Germany
Badge
I got my new Beam and problem solved! Definitely a hardware issue in certain batches!
Having the same problem. Bought my Beam in the week after release at Mediamarkt in the Netherlands.
Badge
@Megamol, ruil je Beam om via Sonos zelf! Bel: +31-800-5551234
Ik had mijn Beam ook bij Media Markt Den Bosch gekocht, daarna omgeruild bij Media Markt voor een nieuwe maar helaas had die hetzelfde probleem.
Vandaag kreeg ik mijn derde via Sonos zelf en die werkt perfect!
Volgens mij is er een hele batch aan Beam's met een productie fout in omloop met name te koop bij Media Markt zo te zien.
I recently bought a Beam and had not trouble with any of the setup and it is working great. The only issue is that the remote (I have tried both a TiVo and TV remote) does not control the volume if I am more than 18 inches away from the Beam. Has anyone else experienced this? I changed the batteries to fresh ones and it didn't help. Same issue at night and during the day.
Add me to the list. Bought this two days ago with a new Samsung UHD TV. Tried new TV remote, old TV remote, and Verizon Fios remote and got all to work within about 2-3 feet. Nothing at all past that range. Very disappointing seeing as this is supposed to me my new 5.1 system....
Badge
@landry410 you should trade it in for a new one. My problem and 2 other people on this thread got solved by getting a new one!
I traded in my second Beam directly at Sonos, because Media Markt in the Netherlands has more defective units with this problem. Make sure you ask for another from a different batch.
Witch country are you from? This will point out how wide spread this problem is.
Bought mine at Best Buy in the USA. I have an email into support regarding this and citing this discussion. I will most likely try to get a new one directly from Sonos as well. Thanks for the info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, to keep things clean, I've moved the posts from the duplicate thread for this issue over here. Pardon the dust as a few comments might not make sense. In short, this is the main thread.

The IR sensor on the Beam is pretty low on the device, so if there's a lip on your table or something that could be blocking the bottom part of the Beam, make sure to move that. If you'd tried out a few locations and still have trouble with the IR range, I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line and a technician can help out. Though it's possible an individual unit could have a bad sensor, it's always best not to make that assumption right away as it could be a number of other environmental concerns.
Badge
@Ryan S, i had 2 Beam's ( black ) from the Media Markt with the same issue. Coincidence? No!
In some cases standard troubleshooting may help, but people are often well informed ( it's 2018 ) and have tried everything! In my case it was definitely a hardware issue, or the IR sensor was not correctly placed within the Beam.
My 3rd Beam is standing in the same place with all the same conditions and is working properly!
Sonos should seriously look into it! So far, the Netherlands, Germany and the USA have reported this issue. Coincidence? No!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad you're all set now, Dynamike. We're definitely looking into it, which is why I suggest giving us a call so that the team can get all the right data. It's just good to first do the basic steps, like making sure nothing is in the way first. Just because sometimes it's a bad IR sensor or other component, doesn't mean it's always a bad IR sensor.
Badge
@Ryan S, true! People should always do the basic troubleshooting first!
It's good to know Sonos is looking into it.. When functioning properly it's an awesome product! 😉 I'm not here to bash the product into the ground. Only trying to help! 🙂
Just an update... Sonos sent me a replacement unit (beam) and all remote controls work with no issues. My original purchase must have been defective. Support was quite helpful and we literally tried every test in the book before they sent my replacement.
Add me to the list as well. Bought in US, Samsung UN50H6201, no HDMI ARC so used optical. Only works within 2.5 feet. Nothing blocking the path. Frustrating.
@Megamol, ruil je Beam om via Sonos zelf! Bel: +31-800-5551234.
Thanks. I called support and after doing some tests they let me trade my Beam for a new one. This one is working perfectly! It's much more convenient to control the volume using a remote than your smartphone.
Same isssue as everyone else with a new Beam. Have to be 2-3 feet away and hold my remote 2 feet off the ground.to adjust volume. Fortunately ond of my resr sinos 1's is close enough to adjust the vol with that. My beam's mointed about 3" from my LG TV using a comcast x1 remote. Let me know if i need a new universal remote to remedy this or what. Its disappointing.
Thanks,
Justin
I'd certainly recommend that you follow the steps that the person who posted directly before you. i.e. contact Sonos to discuss it. That way, if it turns out to be a hardware issue, you can get a replacement. If it's some other issue, they can help you resolve it.
I'd certainly recommend that you follow the steps that the person who posted directly before you. i.e. contact Sonos to discuss it. That way, if it turns out to be a hardware issue, you can get a replacement. If it's some other issue, they can help you resolve it.
Badge
The IR sensor on the Beam is pretty low on the device, so if there's a lip on your table or something that could be blocking the bottom part of the Beam, make sure to move that.

This absolutely solved it for me. I know I should have tried the obvious and easiest fix first, but the mac trackpad that was sitting in front of my beam was so low-pro I didn't even think of it. That trackpad is only like .5" thick, but it was sitting right in front of the Beam, and once I moved it, the AppleTV remote now controls the Beam's volume from 10 feet away, no problem. Before, I had to walk up to the Beam to get the IR to work.

:8