Question

Sonos Beam PCM or 5.1

• 19 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi folks,

Recently upgraded my Play 5 Gen 1 for a Sonos Beam. 

Fairly happy with it though music playback was probably better on the speaker. 

Anyway my question is regarding TV audio input. 

I am only using the beam for my TV audio (ie no extra surround speakers). 

Would I get any benefit from using Dolby 5.1 source from my TV ARC output or am I better sticking to PCM stereo? 

I have read a lot of conflicting things online. 

It seems there are less issues with dialogue sync using PCM but Dolby 5.1 is better "quality" - however I am not sure if this makes any difference if I am only using the beam on its own. 

Thanks in advance if anyone knowledgeable can help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

The Sonos Beam alone is just a 3.0 channel sound bar meaning it will separate the left front, right front, and center channel audio from a multichannel source like Dolby Digital 5.1. The biggest benefit from this setup is dialogue will have it’s own dedicated center channel which could produce clearer dialogue than a two-channel PCM Stereo setup.

Is there a big difference in audio quality between DD 5.1 and PCM 2.0 on the Beam alone? I would say that is dependent on your ears and what you think sounds best. But if you are experiencing bad lip sync issues with 5.1 content, I would stick to PCM Stereo.