Answered

Sonos Beam, Nvidia Shield, Samsung TV surround problem

Hi

I have had my sonos beam since the launch in denmark, and are quite glad for the "wireless" surround i can have to my play:1 as rear speaker.

however, it annoys me in my setup that i have to use my "build in" plex / netflix app on my samsung TV to get 5.1 signal output.

Whenever i use netflix app / plex on the shield, The sonos Beam only plays stereo

My setup is:
TV: Samsung UE49KS7005
Nvidia Shield newest 16gb version
Sonos Beam+2play:1 rear speaker.

Cable:
HDMI ARC between TV and beam
Shield connected to HDMI port on samsung HDMI input.

When ever i play Netflix, plex movies on the build in app on my TV, the sound is decoded fine to Dolby digital 5.1

everything i play through shield is stereo.

is there no solution to this i have tryed to force surround output on shield, etc.
triet some "PCM" and "Bitstream" setting on samsung TV sound-setting, but always stereo only.
unless i find a plex movie, that has AC5.1 standard. then its surround but it wount chance a DTS movie to Dolby digital, Like my Samsung TV decodes.

Is there a solution here?
icon

Best answer by ratty 25 April 2019, 16:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

The Beam is simply playing what the TV has output. Either the TV is telling the Nvidia unit to send stereo, or the TV is down-mixing internally.
The Beam is simply playing what the TV has output. Either the TV is telling the Nvidia unit to send stereo, or the TV is down-mixing internally.

is there a setting / solution? for this.

The same tv can play the surround / decode on the apps from the samsung tvs native app? but not when i use the apps on the shield device.
Not in the Beam. You'd have to look in the settings for the TV or the Nvidia unit. It's not unusual for TVs to treat audio from an HDMI input differently from that generated internally by its apps/tuner.
Not in the Beam. You'd have to look into the TV or the Nvidia unit. It's not unusual for TVs to treat audio from an HDMI input differently from that generated internally by its apps/tuner.

i might wait for a expert to maybe help me with a solution further 🙂 i thought you had some solution for the problem / settings to try.
What kind of expert? I've told you that the Beam simply plays what it's been given by the TV. Go to the Samsung and/or Nvidia communities for experts in those devices.
What kind of expert? I've told you that the Beam simply plays what it's been given by the TV. Go to the Samsung and/or Nvidia communities for experts in those devices.

Maybe others on this community that has a Shield connected to their beam and has simular problem and knew what to do.
if i go to shield communty maybe 1% of the buyers have bought the beam, others use inbuild tv speaker, thats why i wrote here.
Maybe others on this community that has a Shield connected to their beam
But the Shield isn't connected to the Beam. It's connected to the TV. The HDMI connection between the Shield and the TV will have been negotiated between the two of them.
Maybe others on this community that has a Shield connected to their beam
But the Shield isn't connected to the Beam. It's connected to the TV. The HDMI connection between the Shield and the TV will have been negotiated between the two of them.

But the Beam is connected to HDMI ARC of the TV being the "primary" speaker everything connected to the samsungs ports plays sound trough this beam.

thanks for the debate but i will look for others advice
Badge
Before you go elsewhere....I have a very similar setup to you (different Samsung model though), but i'm not experiencing this issue.

I have to agree with Ratty here...it's the TV that's connected to the Beam, and you've already noticed that the TV apps are pumping out 5.1 from the built in apps...so that's good news, because it's showing your Beam is playing (and capable of Dolby 5.1).

So...in your case, that leaves the possibility that:

a. something is incorrect at the Shield end. It definitely works for me, so there isn't any compatibility issues.
b. the Samsung t.v isn't setup correctly to passthrough Dolby 5.1 from external source through to external speaker (Beam).

To be on the safe side...if you start experimenting with settings on the shield, use a Dolby 5.1 source from Netflix as your source. Plex has many settings and combinations for audio...and it only takes one incorrect setting within Plex to then mislead you into thinking something isn't working. Netflix is far more straightforward..no settings.
Before you go elsewhere....I have a very similar setup to you (different Samsung model though), but i'm not experiencing this issue.

I have to agree with Ratty here...it's the TV that's connected to the Beam, and you've already noticed that the TV apps are pumping out 5.1 from the built in apps...so that's good news, because it's showing your Beam is playing (and capable of Dolby 5.1).

So...in your case, that leaves the possibility that:

a. something is incorrect at the Shield end. It definitely works for me, so there isn't any compatibility issues.
b. the Samsung t.v isn't setup correctly to passthrough Dolby 5.1 from external source through to external speaker (Beam).

To be on the safe side...if you start experimenting with settings on the shield, use a Dolby 5.1 source from Netflix as your source. Plex has many settings and combinations for audio...and it only takes one incorrect setting within Plex to then mislead you into thinking something isn't working. Netflix is far more straightforward..no settings.

Can you please share the "sound" settings in your samsung tv
And what settings are in your shield under sound??

Also. where/how do i see if a netflix movie is Dolby 5.1 ?
Badge
i'll take some screenshots later on when I'm home.

Netflix will tell you the audio and video output when you select a particular title to watch. So for example if you click on 'House of Cards' you'll get the info page, telling you what it's all about, what season etc. It will also give details under the title as to what audio output it's going to be..Dolby Atmos, DD etc. 4k, HDR. Netflix is clever enough to figure out what you formats you are able to receive and set it to the correct level..so in theory you shouldn't see Atmos.

I've attached an image of House of Cards as an example..
Badge
as requested...some screenshots of my shield and sammy tv settings.

Frenzy382 Thanks so much for this!!