Sonos Beam low volume

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Same issue. Just sent a diagnostic. Was the issue solved for anyone? Low, embarassing volume on TV while plays great on any streaming music service...
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Same problem here. Ran my LG OLED B6V with playbar flawless but with the beam the volume at Netflix and Other streamingservices are way to high when switching sources from tv. So when the kids switch source, se all go nuts.

Not impressed with the playbar at all Sonos. Got my 100 days returnpolicy to lean at..thinking of using it.
Hi,
I also have some volume issues, but I'm almost sure the differences/problems are in my TV box (orange 4K box):

Before changing my setup with the beam I used a yamaha rxv3900 and already the volume needed to be quite UP using this tv box (between -35 and -30db), my previous (SFR) box with the same setup needed between -60db and -55db.

So I suppose it's the same the the beam.

The difference now is DD vs stero: some tv channels are in stereo and the Orange TV Box send a very low volume thru hdmi (and in this case the volume is controllable with my orange remote, and it's low event at 100%), and some other channel (or netflix app in the orange box) are in DD5.1, and DD5.1 is sent directly to the beam, in this case the volume is at lot more louder and is not changed by the orange tv remote.

So for me it's not a sonos/beam problem, but more a orange problem: they did not any uniformization in volume between channels and the stero volume is by default very low (and I did not found any option to change this setting).
[the orange tv box audio is set to HDMI/Home Theater 5.1 mode]
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
well, there a lot different issues with volume for the Beam, maybe related to Version 9 like in my case.
to watch movies is almost a nightmare with DD...
i did troubleshooting and everythings leads to Sonos and Version 9, i wish it would not the case but thats it.

my experince with the beam regarding HDMI ARC is not good, so i am using optical ,might be als an root cause in some cases.

but the TV just passes the audio signal to Sonos and they are processing it and if the sounds is good for tv speakers, something is wrong with the Sonos processing ot whatever.

maybe the support for some TVs has changed in Version 9 or whatever, but Sonos Support is not really able to get the issue and says, its normal for action movies....yes, but not this extreme and fact, before Version 9 i had no Volume issues.

i guess we have to live with it and hepfully with newer version solved.
Just thought I would add perhaps a slightly different perspective here. I have an LG TV model 28MT48S and my TV volume-out via HDMI-ARC seems perfect with the Beam in a 5.0 surround setup with two Play:1’s . The normal LG TV volume controls are single digit increments, between 1 and 100 and a setting of 30 to 35 is more than loud enough for my dining room which seats eight to ten people, whilst it’s max volume is also loud, but without any distortion being evident. It is certainly more than loud enough for my small room (and ears) and would definitely dusturb the neighbours next door, or even the folk in the house after that, at its max setting.

I’m not seeing much volume difference between PCM and Dolby Digital output either and switching over to playing music seems to be on par with the TV sound.

So this appears to me to possibly be a TV audio-out issue, by some brands and or models of TV perhaps?

Obviously I’m no TV audio expert, but presumably there is no industry set standard here for volume output and that each manufacturer are gearing things for their own in-built TV speakers and their own brand of soundbars, leaving other manufacturers, like Sonos, having to average their sound accordingly across all the various different brands and models.

I’m just wondering if pin-pointing that average audio output, to suit the majority, is something Sonos would choose to do with the new Beam, once they have been able to collect the data and feedback from its 'real-world' users, as it would be nigh on impossible to test the Beam with every make and model of TV out there, prior to its public launch date.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I wonder if this issue is to do with dd5.1 sources? [...] At lower volumes parts of the mix such as quiet voices or music are just way too low. But using might mode or speech enhancement doesn’t entirely fix it as both introduce significant downsides. Tiny voices or in the case of night mode removal of all noticeable bass.

I find that with 5.1 sources the sound bar just isn’t balanced especially at low volumes. Anyone else experienced this?

Exactly this. Switching the output (from either Netflix or from the TV HDMI settings) to a stereo signal immediately delivers a more balanced mix with clear voices.

With 5.1 I get an overly dramatic mix with massive emphasis on special effects and music, but barely audible voices. To make out what people are saying the volume needs to be cranked up so high I'm afraid my neighbors will start complaining soon.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Play 1's for surround but not before this 5.1 issue is fixed.

do you guys have the balance volume issue for every video?
i have the same behaviour since Version 9 but not for all Videos
seems to be ralated with
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-beam-dd5-1-problem-6810138
Suggy.. is your problem with low volume resolved? I had the issue when I setup the beam. I played around with the sound settings a bit. it seems setting the headphone/audio out in Sony android tv to Variable then increasing the volume to 30 and then reverting audio output to Fixed may have resolved my issue. I am seeing improvements now on the volume. I am getting desired volume at low setting in the remote now
Hi Matt, experiencing the exact same issue as yourself (with a Samsung TV) and there doesn't appear to be any fix or even the admission that this is a problem from what I have seen. Regarding HDMI ARC Vs Optical I was getting the exact same sound out of both from my TV. It would be interesting to see if you have same behaviour.
I am having the exact same issue with my Beam - previously my Sony Bravia (Model XBR-65X750D) was set to 30 or so for normal watching. After plugging in my new Beam via HDMI ARC, I have to turn it all the way up to the 80s to get the same level of volume. However, when I stream audio directly to the Beam using AirPlay 2, the volume is way too loud. I have reset all my TV sound settings back to default and have not been able to make any progress regarding this issue. Has anyone discovered a fix? I'm debating plugging in my optical cable with the adapter to see if that works better - although I'd really like to be able to use Alexa to control a few things.
Dave.....I get numbers, mostly, but they jump in increments of 2? No idea!

Have tried playing with TV settings, no idea what I am doing, but it may have worked on my Sony Bravia????

Go to settings/ system settings/ sound/ advanced/ set Dolby Digital plus out to off.

Setup// AV setup/ Audio Out to fixed/ Digital Audio out to Auto1/ HDMI signal format to HDMI3 enhanced.

Absolutely clueless but it may have given me control of volume???
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
*Stupid question*

But how are you all getting numbers showing your volume? Before I got the beam, whenever I changed the TV volume, it showed it in numbers which I liked. As I normally aimed for 10 as the perfect volume.

But since adding the beam and two play 1’s when I change the volume on my TV I don’t get any numbers, just an up or down arrow flashing depending which direction I’m going so I have to guess/listen if it sounds about right.

This is correct behavior for Samsung TVs and arc.
Maybe someone at Sonos missed to test the Beam with Samsung?
Have been seriously unimpressed with my Beam from day 1, I have so many variable performance issues it is embarrassing when someone says ooh.........you have the new Sonos, how is it?

It is a bundle of excrement so far! Holding out for a software fix, but why do I need to?

No Napster functionality for Alexa and such poor volume control, either so low you hardly hear it or so high the neighbours complain, and little control in between!
*Stupid question*

But how are you all getting numbers showing your volume? Before I got the beam, whenever I changed the TV volume, it showed it in numbers which I liked. As I normally aimed for 10 as the perfect volume.

But since adding the beam and two play 1’s when I change the volume on my TV I don’t get any numbers, just an up or down arrow flashing depending which direction I’m going so I have to guess/listen if it sounds about right.
I am having the exact same problem and have spent the last 1+ hour troubleshooting over the phone with no solution. The conclusion was that there is a disparity with EQ levels in which my TV (Samsung UEH6400) delivers audio to the BEAM compared to what I play at source i.e. Spotify etc. I was also informed that there is a beta feature that alows for Advanced EQ settings that may resolve this in the future.

My concern is that I have a very expensive Music Streaming speaker (I already have a Play 5) that can't output sound near the levels of my internal TV speakers. This is extremely disappointing and it looks like my only option is to return the beam and get a refund.

Before I do this are there any estimates as to when this advanced EQ features will be delivered or are there other known fixes that will resolve this issue and a delivery date?
Oh and it shows pcm in my settings
Hello I.am having the exact same issues:1 bought beam today:-

1) Samsung tv
2)sky Q
3) netflix
4)Xbox

I find the sound coming through beam needs to be set to 80 for it to be loud enough even watching via sky q

When watching via Netflix (using tv smart app) the sound only needs to be set at 30.

The beam is is connected fine turns tv off etc so.cec is working as it should.

It comes up as receiver in settings and listed as stereo.

This surely can't be right to have such poor output from device?

Ps what does airplay do? As when I click beam it doesn't do anything

Thanks
I wonder if this issue is to do with dd5.1 sources? [...] At lower volumes parts of the mix such as quiet voices or music are just way too low. But using might mode or speech enhancement doesn’t entirely fix it as both introduce significant downsides. Tiny voices or in the case of night mode removal of all noticeable bass.

I find that with 5.1 sources the sound bar just isn’t balanced especially at low volumes. Anyone else experienced this?

Exactly this. Switching the output (from either Netflix or from the TV HDMI settings) to a stereo signal immediately delivers a more balanced mix with clear voices.

With 5.1 I get an overly dramatic mix with massive emphasis on special effects and music, but barely audible voices. To make out what people are saying the volume needs to be cranked up so high I'm afraid my neighbors will start complaining soon.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Play 1's for surround but not before this 5.1 issue is fixed.
I've sent a diagnostic through the Sonos app and now I'm waiting for some help! :D

I have the same issue using the HDMI-ARC connection to my Samsung TV. Interested to see how this one plays out. Also,how do I submit diagnostics?

You can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system using the steps on that linked page. Keep in mind, that just submitting a diagnostic doesn't send a message to our support team. You need to give us a call or contact the team directly with your confirmation number in order to get help. Also, a diagnostic alone doesn't help too much if they don't know what they're looking for, so please make sure when you contact us you include all the details of what you're seeing.

If you find that your TV volume indicator and your Beam indicator are out of sync, (assuming you're using HDMI and not Optical with the adapter), you'll want to check the CEC and HDMI-ARC settings.This thread may help checking those settings and getting that issue cleared up.

I followed the instructions as per Ryan above to get the CEC setup on my Samsung tv, and was then also able to set the tv output to Dolby. This seems to have resolved the problem. So instead on listening to the TV at a Sonos Beam volume of 50, it’s now normal at a Sonos Beam volume of 20-25.

Will monitor and see if the settings are remembered as I change source for consoles and on-demand TV. Thanks.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I wonder if this issue is to do with dd5.1 sources? I’m finding if I watch a movie on sky in 5.1 or via the blu day played on my Xbox that the volume needs to get to a certain point before all channels sound balanced. Once you get there it sounds great but is just too loud for the little one asleep upstairs.

At lower volumes parts of the mix such as quiet voices or music are just way too low. But using might mode or speech enhancement doesn’t entirely fix it as both introduce significant downsides. Tiny voices or in the case of night mode removal of all noticeable bass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I've sent a diagnostic through the Sonos app and now I'm waiting for some help! :D

I have the same issue using the HDMI-ARC connection to my Samsung TV. Interested to see how this one plays out. Also,how do I submit diagnostics?

You can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system using the steps on that linked page. Keep in mind, that just submitting a diagnostic doesn't send a message to our support team. You need to give us a call or contact the team directly with your confirmation number in order to get help. Also, a diagnostic alone doesn't help too much if they don't know what they're looking for, so please make sure when you contact us you include all the details of what you're seeing.

If you find that your TV volume indicator and your Beam indicator are out of sync, (assuming you're using HDMI and not Optical with the adapter), you'll want to check the CEC and HDMI-ARC settings.This thread may help checking those settings and getting that issue cleared up.
Same issue as original post. TV slider is all the way up to 80s to get same perceived volume as previously only needed 30s to get that level. (Even at 90% volume, the sound is loud, but not overwhelming, which I would have expected at that level).

I have turned the TV internal speakers off at this point, and the volume slider via the Sonos App and the TV display are in sync as they should connected via HDMI ARC, but the sound volume is a lot less than expected coming from the Beam with 2 Play1s as Surrounds.

Watching this thread as it develops.
Badge
I've got my Beam yesterday and been experiencing the same issue.

I got a new Sony android tv and set up the beam via arc HDMI as the Sonos app has shown.

My tv is on volume 10 and my Beam 54.
Is there a way I can fix tv on 30 and then use my Beam from that point?

I've sent a diagnostic through the Sonos app and now I'm waiting for some help! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Submitted. TV is a Bravia Kdl50w829b. Using a Beam via hdmi arc and a pair of Play 1s
Looks like the diagnostics under your account didn't go through properly, this can happen due to a number of things. It'd be best if you can give us a call on our support line when you have some time to look into this. We're pretty busy this week with the launch and the software from last week, so it might be good to wait just a bit first.
Badge
Beam sounds fantastic when playing TV via PLEX.