Sonos Beam lipsync issue

• 18 July 2018
  • 9 replies

Hi

Just set up the Beam, its hooked up to a LG 49UH652T using the supplied HDMI cable. Two issues:

1. Theres a lipsync problem when watching free to air television
2. Alexa cant control the tv on/off functionality.

The sound is great! But if its not in sync its a problem.

Any ideas or support are very welcome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

About the audio sync issue, there should be another thread floating around with some suggestions.
To allow the Beam to control the TV, you might have to enable CEC on the TV. I think for LG it's called Simplink. So look for a Simplink setting in your TV settings, should be under General
Thanks, yep Simplink is on. Still no joy, spoke to support and their response was "well it doesn't work on all tv's." Considering its a selling point of the Beam I found this a surprising response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I think the thread you're looking for is this one, thatsluke. We've seen issues with some LG and Samsung TVs that aren't handling Dolby Digital audio properly and it gets delayed slightly. What model TV are you working with?

A step for you to try with CEC, George, unplug all the other HDMI devices on the TV and re-set up the Beam. Some TVs don't have CEC done properly or completely, but it's also sometimes just an issue with another CEC device connected to the TV that's trying to hog the channel.
I just bought a Beam and have it hooked up to a Samsung TV and am having major lip sync issues. What can be done to fix this? Extremely disappointing to buy a brand new sound bar, replace the old one and now the audio is about 3 seconds out of whack with the TV.
I am also having lip sync issues on a samsung TV. i've tried all the steps above Ryan S has mentioned and its still a problem. especially when I'm watching a blu-ray from Xbox on X. I am connected via HDMI-ARC. connecting via optical cable didnt have this issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Beam will play your audio as soon as it gets it. The timing of the audio is based on when the TV sends it to the Beam, and usually we find any lip sync issues are a delay on the TV's processing side. We've found that some TVs especially have trouble sending Dolby Digital audio over HDMI-ARC while at the same time processing high-quality video.

In some cases, the manufacturer has addressed it already, and an update for the TV could solve the issue. I'd suggest making sure your TV is updated, and it would be good to contact the manufacturer to ask if they are investigating an audio delay issue with connected home theater devices playing Dolby Digital audio. If you're just listening to the TVs speakers, odds are it's converting it to stereo automatically, since most all TVs have stereo speakers.

Some TVs you can clear up any delay simply by adjusting the settings.

In general, for anyone having trouble, I'd suggest starting with checking the settings on the source device of your video that's behind. If it's a cable box or a source where you can edit the audio settings, see if you can set it specifically to Dolby Digital 5.1. Also if the TV has audio settings that are adding extra processing like an ULTRA mode or Clear Audio+, try turning those off.

If you're not concerned about getting Dolby Digital audio, you can set the source device to PCM or Stereo and the delay will likely go away, as that format is easier to transmit.

I am also having lip sync issues on a samsung TV. i've tried all the steps above Ryan S has mentioned and its still a problem. especially when I'm watching a blu-ray from Xbox on X. I am connected via HDMI-ARC. connecting via optical cable didnt have this issue
What audio settings do you have your Xbox set at? Are you able to send Dolby Digital 5.1 to the TV directly? If you set it to Stereo or PCM, does the delay go away?

I just bought a Beam and have it hooked up to a Samsung TV and am having major lip sync issues. What can be done to fix this? Extremely disappointing to buy a brand new sound bar, replace the old one and now the audio is about 3 seconds out of whack with the TV.
What sources do you see this issue with?
Ryan,

I am having the issue with ATT Uverse and Apple 4KTV. I have a 2009 Samsung HDTV and have the Beam connected through the Optical port using the supplied HDMI Optical converter. I've tried calling support can't seem to find a time where wait time does not exceed an hour.

As a customer this is pretty frustrating, I understand the challenge but would think when designing a TV soundbar these are things that would be factored into development. I did not see anywhere it mentioning that it may not work on certain TVs.

Any other avenues to get support and speak with someone about this where I can walk through and troubleshoot?

If I can't get this fixed, I'll need to return as TV is essentially unwatchable because the lag is so bag in the sound.

706-306-1395

What audio settings do you have your Xbox set at? Are you able to send Dolby Digital 5.1 to the TV directly? If you set it to Stereo or PCM, does the delay go away?

My audio output settings on the xbox one x are: HDMI Audio = Bitstream Out, Optical Audio = OFF. Bitstream Format: Dolby Digital. Under Disc and Blu-ray Settings I have Dolby digital set to Dynamic Range Control On. I had bitstream format set to the same, dolby digital and dynamic range control on with my playbar and it worked fine. I have 2 play:1s, and a sub so I havent set it to PCM due to having 5.1 set. Cable TV seems to be fine with the lip sync, its mainly with blu-ray discs watching movies that I have noticed this issue.

As far as the Samsung tv (UN65JS8500) , under additional settings I have HDMI Audio Format set to Bitstream. Audio Format set to Dobly Digital. Dolby Digital Comp set to RF, and HD Audio set to ON. Do I need to change any of these settings? I have the latest firmware installed on this TV...
i get similar sync issues. works a treat on anything other than HD,

PS4 has sync issues
sky tv has sync issues

tried adjusting audio offset on sky.... and on sonos app.

no joy

running sonos beam and 2 play ones through a panasonic 902b. the beam is plugged in via hdmi into hdmi port 2 (arc) sky is in port 1 and ps4 is in port 3.

seems to work well running sd footage not hd.

dd works but the sync is so bad you'd thinking I was watching a film from another planet.

only had it a day.

need an answer mr sonos. or its going back. cracking bit of kit or not....

thanks Chris