Answered

Sonos Beam / LG C7 / TV-box lip sync problem

Badge
Hallo,

I purchased the new Sonos Beam today. My TV is a OLED LG65C7V. I have used the included HDMI from Sonos to connect my Beam to the HDMI2 (ARC)-port on the TV.

To watch TV (regular broadcasting channels) I use a digital box from my broadcaster GET (Norway). This is connected to the HDMI1 on my TV.

When I'm watching TV with my Beam, there is a lip sync fail. I had no issue with this before the Beam. However, when I now watch Netflix (with the integrated smart-OS on the TV), there is less or non problem with lip sync.

Anyone have a solution for how I can fix the lip sync when watching regular broadcasting TV? Please let me know if you need more information about my setup (not an expert in this).

Regards,
Magnus
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 18 July 2018, 19:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Magnus, we haven't found this same delay in testing with the Beam and the LG TVs, though some cable boxes have had this issue too. We'd love to take a look at your setup and see what's happening. Can you give us a call on our support line and work with a technician so we can get a closer look?
I am having the exact same issue with my SKY Q box and my beam. It’s very frustrating. The sound is lagging behind the picture, I have the LG 55 B7V.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Isn’t audio sync problems on LG TVs via ARC or optical a known issue with the TV firmware itself? I had audio sync issues before the Beam and they are still there now, though a bit better it seems. Loads of threads discussing these issues on here and elsewhere,
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Isn’t audio sync problems on LG TVs via ARC or optical a known issue with the TV firmware itself? I had audio sync issues before the Beam and they are still there now, though a bit better it seems. Loads of threads discussing these issues on here and elsewhere,
We've seen issues with some of those TVs handling Dolby Digital over optical but want to make sure it's the same problem before just assuming that's the case.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
We've seen issues with some of those TVs handling Dolby Digital over optical but want to make sure it's the same problem before just assuming that's the case.

Have you guys got an update to share with us from either LG or yourselves about the optical issue being worked on? LG OLED are basically the pinnacle of TV's at the moment so it would be good to know that Sonos is ever going to be compatible with it after spending so much money.
I have similar problem with my LG TV, Beam connected to LG via supplied HDMI cable
1) Lipsync issues with free to air using native tuner. Less of a problem with netflix via LG OS but still noticable.
2) Alexa cant turn the television on of off either. Says no supported device

What a shame as as the sound is so nice. But I'm not paying that kind of money for a lipsync issue in 2018.

Surely you guys test this when you know theres a known issue (that I didnt know about.) Maybe a disclaimer is required for Beam and LG TV's
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I have similar problem with my LG TV, Beam connected to LG via supplied HDMI cable
1) Lipsync issues with free to air using native tuner. Less of a problem with netflix via LG OS but still noticable.
2) Alexa cant turn the television on of off either. Says no supported device

What a shame as as the sound is so nice. But I'm not paying that kind of money for a lipsync issue in 2018.

Surely you guys test this when you know theres a known issue (that I didnt know about.) Maybe a disclaimer is required for Beam and LG TV's

Sonos total silence about any fix for this issue is very damning. You can look all around online and it is almost always an LG issue with Sonos specifically, not other sound manufacturers. Sonos blamed the optical port on the LG OLED and Sony XBR TV's and people didn't have much choice but to believe Sonos considering most soundbars from other manufacturers use HDMI ARC and it was hard to compare. If now HDMI ARC is also having the same problem then it is very problematic for Sonos, as other soundbars aren't having the same issue.

I would be surprised if something major doesn't come from this resulting in Sonos needing to label on their packaging incompatibility with LG OLED. People are spending way too much money to then not even have lip sync work properly to let this go.

I would be surprised if something major doesn't come from this resulting in Sonos needing to label on their packaging incompatibility with LG OLED. People are spending way too much money to then not even have lip sync work properly to let this go.

Cheers for reply, Ill try again tonight but if its a known issue looks like Ill box it back up and return it. Bugger.
My new Sonos Beam will not maintain an ARC connection between the TV speaker and the Beam for more than 5 seconds. It bounces back and forth between the two rendering the Beam unusable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing, everyone. We're looking into the trouble with some LG and Samsung TVs, similar to the issue that existed with the Optical connections. We're also investigating a potential issue with the audio from Sky Q cable boxes on certain channels.

I'd like to encourage everyone, if you're having trouble with lip sync or audio playback with your Beam, please give us a call. The team would like to look into what's happening and what might be in common. The more information here, the better, as this could be certain TV models, a similar software or hardware version of cable box, or any number of other variables.
I have fixed the issue with my Beam and audio sync with my lg b7. However it requires changing the output on my sky q to pcm from Dolby digital. I spoke with a Sonos rep who said there is no difference in sound quality on the beam between pcm and dd. However I am sceptical. Can anyone confirm if pcm is inferior to dd on the beam. Someone has said that dd is 5.1 surround and pcm is stereo, but as the beam isn’t a surround system then surely that’s not an issue? I am getting very anxious about it and would like some guidance. If I’m paying £400 I want the best audio I can get, if not I’m going to have to reluctantly return my Beam
Badge +1
"Some LG TVs....some Samsung TVs....some cable boxes" ... which one ? Should we buy first to discover incompatibile models ? We should pay to become beta testers 🙂 ? I know you can't test all TV models but if you know that specific models are problematic let us know .
I am sorry,i don't want to be rude but i become very frustrated. I wanted to replace my Bose Tv bar with Beam and two Play 1. Three weeks ago i bought two Play1 impatiently awaited Sonos to start selling Beam .Now i'm reading three days already about problems ...C'mon Sonos...First half baked Alexa implementation-ok,i turned off mic and i use Echo for voice control.Next ,immediately problems after AirPlay update , now Beam .
I appreciate help here ,appreciate offer to call and talk with technician but why i should spend hour or more on the phone(btw i coming home late ,no way i can make this phone call )? I(we) spend money on "premium" -top of the line devices. Maybe is too much but i expect it to work ,sorry for comparison but like my Bose devices -plug,play and forget .
I don't know ,sadly but Sonos looks for me more and more like bad idea .
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
"Some LG TVs....some Samsung TVs....some cable boxes" ... which one ? Should we buy first to discover incompatibile models ? We should pay to become beta testers 🙂 ? I know you can't test all TV models but if you know that specific models are problematic let us know .
I am sorry,i don't want to be rude but i become very frustrated. I wanted to replace my Bose Tv bar with Beam and two Play 1. Three weeks ago i bought two Play1 impatiently awaited Sonos to start selling Beam .Now i'm reading three days already about problems ...C'mon Sonos...First half baked Alexa implementation-ok,i turned off mic and i use Echo for voice control.Next ,immediately problems after AirPlay update , now Beam .
I appreciate help here ,appreciate offer to call and talk with technician but why i should spend hour or more on the phone(btw i coming home late ,no way i can make this phone call )? I(we) spend money on "premium" -top of the line devices. Maybe is too much but i expect it to work ,sorry for comparison but like my Bose devices -plug,play and forget .

I think many of us are very disappointed in Sonos with this issue and the lack of any updates. I don’t believe for a second that the problem is with the TV anymore. Otherwise it wouldn’t now be across LG, Samsung and Sony and many people with other sound bars would be complaining as well.

What makes it even more disappointing is that Sonos when it comes to Music Playback and services are so far ahead of Bose and other manufacturers that it makes it terrible that they are shooting themselves in the foot with something so basic like lip sync, and making people consider inferior products like Bose. Sonos don’t make TV’s, so they absolutely should be fixing compatibility issues with the biggest manufacturers TV’s. How the Playbar can still not handle a dolby signal properly from an LG or Sony TV is beyond comprehension.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think many of us are very disappointed in Sonos with this issue and the lack of any updates. I don’t believe for a second that the problem is with the TV anymore. Otherwise it wouldn’t now be across LG, Samsung and Sony and many people with other sound bars would be complaining as well.

What makes it even more disappointing is that Sonos when it comes to Music Playback and services are so far ahead of Bose and other manufacturers that it makes it terrible that they are shooting themselves in the foot with something so basic like lip sync, and making people consider inferior products like Bose. Sonos don’t make TV’s, so they absolutely should be fixing compatibility issues with the biggest manufacturers TV’s. How the Playbar can still not handle a dolby signal properly from an LG or Sony TV is beyond comprehension.

Bit unfair there - certainly for some LG TVs.

My LG OLED has sync issues with any device via optical or ARC. In fact the Beam has reduced the sync issues to a tolerable level. I know they are there but my wife cannot detect them. Our previous sound bar it was worse.

The issue is inherent to certain LG OLED builds and I assume LG in general. Interestingly on other forums people have identified certain specific builds that have this issue and others that don’t even of the same model. Suggesting there will never be a fix for these TVs.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

My LG OLED has sync issues with any device via optical or ARC. In fact the Beam has reduced the sync issues to a tolerable level. I know they are there but my wife cannot detect them. Our previous sound bar it was worse.

The issue is inherent to certain LG OLED builds and I assume LG in general. Interestingly on other forums people have identified certain specific builds that have this issue and others that don’t even of the same model. Suggesting there will never be a fix for these TVs.

Where are all these forums? Whether you are looking at AVS or Sonos or wherever else, the lip sync issue with LG Oled always seems to be either years old and no longer relevant after a firmware update, or if more recent and on the 2017 models, followed by “I have a Sonos Playbar or Playbase”.

There is hardly any mention recently of LG Oled lip sync issues with the 2017 models outside of issues with Sonos devices. I would be happy to be proven wrong with this, as I half expect these issues from a company with a woeful track record like LG and at least the picture is worth the money. I expect a lot more from Sonos given all they do is audio and their reputation is so good.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Where are all these forums? Whether you are looking at AVS or Sonos or wherever else, the lip sync issue with LG Oled always seems to be either years old and no longer relevant after a firmware update, or if more recent and on the 2017 models, followed by “I have a Sonos Playbar or Playbase”.

There is hardly any mention recently of LG Oled lip sync issues with the 2017 models outside of issues with Sonos devices. I would be happy to be proven wrong with this, as I half expect these issues from a company with a woeful track record like LG and at least the picture is worth the money. I expect a lot more from Sonos given all they do is audio and their reputation is so good.

Lip sync issues on 2018 OLEDs
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-c8-lip-sync-issues.2178084/page-3#post-26374768

Lip sync issues on 2016 OLEDs (note final post confirms the latest July 2018 FW update has NOT fixed the issue for affected sets). Also note that different hardware builds are identified and some seem affected and others don't.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-lipsync-problems-in-apps-issue-thread.2084839/#post-24747601

Lip sync issues on 2017 OLEDs
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-c7-lg-sh7b-sync-issues.2111274/

Note these are not related to Sonos.

There are similar reports for LG LCD TV's too.

The issue is the TV and how it processes and passes audio via ARC and optical. Clearly some models have builds that differ in whether they show a problem or not which suggests that no firmware will eradicate this.
Hi, I have LG B7 and beam with HDMI ARC and no problem with lip sync after i changed in the audio output>Digital Sound Out menu from pcm to AUTO.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Lip sync issues on 2018 OLEDs
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-c8-lip-sync-issues.2178084/page-3#post-26374768

Lip sync issues on 2016 OLEDs (note final post confirms the latest July 2018 FW update has NOT fixed the issue for affected sets). Also note that different hardware builds are identified and some seem affected and others don't.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-lipsync-problems-in-apps-issue-thread.2084839/#post-24747601

Lip sync issues on 2017 OLEDs
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-c7-lg-sh7b-sync-issues.2111274/

Note these are not related to Sonos.

There are similar reports for LG LCD TV's too.

The issue is the TV and how it processes and passes audio via ARC and optical. Clearly some models have builds that differ in whether they show a problem or not which suggests that no firmware will eradicate this.

I'm specifically referring to the 2017 LG OLED, but I do appreciate what you have linked. The 2017 AVS Thread you linked is only 4 pages, there are a few other threads on AVS which have a lot more mentions of the Sonos Playbar or Playbase (But this may be indicative of how popular the Playbar is)

Either way, thanks for going through the effort to link what you did. The fact that 2016 and 2018 model LG OLED's are having issues with a range of different soundbars does somewhat reassure that the 2017 TV is also likely to be the culprit and Sonos are not just passing the buck.
Hi, I have LG B7 and beam with HDMI ARC and no problem with lip sync after i changed in the audio output>Digital Sound Out menu from pcm to AUTO.

cool, to clarify that isn't going to help with a 5.1 setup right? As PCM will force stereo?
I dont use it in 5.1, but I think AUTO mode is the only one option for 5.1. PCM is stereo, and when it's PCM, I think the TV convert the audio to stereo and caused the lag.
Badge

Unfortunately that doesn't make any difference for me. I have a LG C7 and the problem is consistent no matter if I change the TV audio output to auto/PCM, or if I change the TV box sound to Dolby Digital/PCM.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Unfortunately that doesn't make any difference for me. I have a LG C7 and the problem is consistent no matter if I change the TV audio output to auto/PCM, or if I change the TV box sound to Dolby Digital/PCM.

This is the issue. In LG TV's some are affected and some aren't. And even within the same model different builds of that model are affected and others aren't.

This isn't going to be fixed I don't think as it seems like too much variance across hardware to be a simple firmware fix.

So if you can't live with the lip sync issue the only ultimate solution is a TV change. OR a sound setup that allows you to plug your devices directly into a sound system.
I bought an LG OLED C7 two months ago and have been waiting to add Sonos speakers to it. I was going to go with the Playbase when the Beam was announced and decided to wait. Now, based on what I am reading it seems that Sonos is not the right product which is a bummer. The Beam was going to be my entry into the world of Sonos (I am the target!).

I do think Sonos should've have tested the Beam against LG OLED TVs and worked with them to introduce a FW fix, especially since this isn't a new issue, or alerted prospective buyers of the potential incompatibility. Lip sync issues are super disruptive and definitely not a "premium" experience.
I had the same problem with my Samsung UE43J5500. I fixed it by changing through sound / additional settings. HDMI audio settings to PCM and changing the audio delay to 170. Hope it helps?
Badge
I had the same problem with my Samsung UE43J5500. I fixed it by changing through sound / additional settings. HDMI audio settings to PCM and changing the audio delay to 170. Hope it helps?

Thank you for your respons. I’ve tried using PCM and manually adjusting the TV-box audio delay. Unfortunately that didn’t fix the issue.