Question

Sonos beam audio cutting out on TV

• 5 September 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
My new beam's audio cuts out intermittently, say every 15 minutes, for several seconds on my Sharp smart tv. I only have a beam + tv setup connected via HMDI ARC (no additional surround speakers). My diagnostics number is: 727740947. Any help would be appreciated. I noticed this issue only recently. All cables are in and not loose.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
While you wait for a community moderator to pick up that diagnostic for you, a couple of suggestions.

1) Make sure that your TV is up to date on the firmware.
2) Try unplugging the TV from the wall for 5 minutes, then plug it back in. This will force a new HDMI-CEC handshake.

Thanks, but I’ve tried both to no avail. I also switched hdmi cables to be sure the one provided by Sonos wasn’t poor. It still cuts out. I should note like others with a similar problem that the beam works perfectly with no cutting out when playing music.
I think it’s quite likely the sharp TV is having issues processing some of the audio data in a 'timely' manner, as the Beam will only play the signals that are sent to it and at the the time they are sent.

Looking at some Sharp TV setups and information online, they appear to have these, or some of these, internal audio enhancing features...
  • Auto Volume
  • 3D Surround
  • Clear Voice
  • Bass Enhancer
There may be other audio features and some enhancement features may have similar names if they are not in the bullet-list above.

So my suggestion is to perhaps try connecting to the internal TV speakers and switching off some of these Sharp TV audio enhancements and ensure they remain disabled when connecting back to the external Beam HT device.

The hope here is that disabling these audio enhancements may help to reduce the burden on the TV processor and cause the signal to pass to the Beam with less, or no, intermittent interruptions.

I hope that suggestion makes some sense. I think it may at least be worth trying to see if it resolves the intermittent audio dropout issues.
While you wait for a community moderator to pick up that diagnostic for you, a couple of suggestions.

1) Make sure that your TV is up to date on the firmware.
2) Try unplugging the TV from the wall for 5 minutes, then plug it back in. This will force a new HDMI-CEC handshake.
Was merely a couple of precautionary things, not really knowing what the issue is.

The indication from your last post suggests it's the signal coming in from the TV set itself, since it's not happening on streaming music. Which is odd, since you've got it set up via HDMI-ARC (CEC), in which the Sonos tells the TV set what kind of signal it can accept, and the TV responds by sending that specific signal type (in most cases Dolby Digital )

I'll hope that a community moderator can come in sometime soon and pick up your diagnostic, or wait for you to get in touch with Sonos support and get an answer from them.
I have the exact same problem, although it cuts out every few seconds when watching programs in 4k.
Thanks for your reply Ken.

I posted a separate topic as I am actually having the same issues with a Sony Bravia TV.
Hunter7891,

I have an old Sony Bravia KDL-40EX503 and that works fine with the Sonos Beam. Do you have the latest firmware? Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
Hunter7891,

I've just read your other post ...is the 4K playing stream from a built-in TV App, like Netflix etc, or are you connecting via a cable box, or Apple TV4 etc? Do you get the same/similar interruption issues when streaming and playing to the internal TV speakers?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I think it’s quite likely the sharp TV is having issues processing some of the audio data in a 'timely' manner, as the Beam will only play the signals that are sent to it and at the the time they are sent.

Looking at some Sharp TV setups and information online, they appear to have these, or some of these, internal audio enhancing features...
  • Auto Volume
  • 3D Surround
  • Clear Voice
  • Bass Enhancer
There may be other audio features and some enhancement features may have similar names if they are not in the bullet-list above.

So my suggestion is to perhaps try connecting to the internal TV speakers and switching off some of these Sharp TV audio enhancements and ensure they remain disabled when connecting back to the external Beam HT device.

The hope here is that disabling these audio enhancements may help to reduce the burden on the TV processor and cause the signal to pass to the Beam with less, or no, intermittent interruptions.

I hope that suggestion makes some sense. I think it may at least be worth trying to see if it resolves the intermittent audio dropout issues.

Thanks. I disabled all audio enhancement options with a sharp advisor (none of which you mentioned were auto, but DTS TruSurround was). It still cuts out. I have since returned the beam and got a Sony HT-X8500 which works perfectly.