Answered

Sonos Beam + Apple TV 4K + ceiling mount projector = ???

• 9 December 2018
  • 1 reply

So here is the set up:

I have a basement that has a ceiling mounted projector (Optoma DH1009). The HDMI cable goes through the ceiling to the wall. I had a Vizio soundbar and an old Apple TV (HDMI direct from wall to Apple TV, and an optical cable from the Vizio soundbar to the old Apple TV.

I wanted to upgrade so I got a Sonos Beam (with Sub and 2 One's) and the new Apple TV 4k. But .... I cannot get it to work. I thought I could if I got an HDMI splitter feeding out of the Apple TV and one each into the projector and Beam. But the Beam does not recognize it as ARC and so asks me to connect via optical cable. But, the Apple TV does not do Optical, so I can't fo that.

Any suggestions (other than going back to the old Apple TV but keeping the Beam (which I have done)?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 9 December 2018, 04:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Chirish

You want to connect your AppleTV to the Optoma DH1009 via HDMI. Then you'll need a digital (Coaxial) to optical converter in between the projector's digital out and the Beam using the supplied optical converter connected to one end of the HDMI cable supplied with the Beam.

Click the link for an example of a digital (Coaxial) to optical converter: https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Converter-Bi-Directional-Repeater-ROOFULL/dp/B01N32C5GT/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544325951&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=digital+coaxial+to+optical+converter&psc=1

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!