Sonos Beam and UK Sky + sound issue

• 12 February 2019
  • 22 replies

Badge +1
Hello

I have had a Sonos Beam since about July 2018 and I'm loving it. So much so I expanded my setup to include two Play 1's to create surround sound and a Sonos One in the kitchen.

However there is one thing that I can't quite work out. When I turn the TV on from Stand-by sometimes the I get no sound when connected though my SKY+ HD box. I have to use the AV switch on my Panasonic TV to change to the SONOS ARC input or the TV Ariel input channel. The sound then starts and I have to wait for about 5 - 10 seconds before I can switch the input back to the SKY+ HD input ( HDMI) and then it will work.

This does not seem to affect Airplay or Alexa etc so I'm not sure what the issue might be. I have tried a re-setup and power down etc but the issue returns.

Anyone have this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

I would perhaps check the other devices connected via HDMI to your TV and ensure that they are non trying to steal away the CEC controls. It’s best if the CEC controls are turned off on the other connected devices in fact. Sometimes it’s not always possible to switch off the CEC controls on some attached hardware via their settings, in which case, it is best to use a CEC-Less HDMI Cable or Adapter (available via Amazon and other online services etc).

I would unplug each HDMI device, one at a time, to try to establish which one is perhaps (possibly) causing the conflict.
Badge +1
Thanks for the reply!

The only HDMI device that is attached is the BEAM via the ARC and the SKY Box via the other HDMI connection. So I'm not sure how that would help?
Thanks for the reply!

The only HDMI device that is attached is the BEAM via the ARC and the SKY Box via the other HDMI connection. So I'm not sure how that would help?
Thats okay, but have you tried turning off the HDMI control on that box, assuming you are able to do that? It has to be worth trying that.
Badge +1
Hi Ken, You mean the HDMI control on the SKY + HD box? I don't think it has one as it is over 7 years old. The reason I think this is because I have the Panasonic "link" turn on but I always have to turn my Sky Box on manually. However I will check when I'm home tonight.
Hi Ken, You mean the HDMI control on the SKY + HD box? I don't think it has one as it is over 7 years old. The reason I think this is because I have the Panasonic "link" turn on but I always have to turn my Sky Box on manually. However I will check when I'm home tonight.Like Panasonic call their implementation of CEC, 'Viera', ...looking briefly online it looks like Sky called theirs 'One Touch Play' on that box... see this link:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/hdmi-one-touch-play
You could also perhaps uncable the Sky+ Box and temporarily switchover to 'Freeview' TV, just to see if the issue with the Beam goes away. It’s just a question of trying to find the cause of your issue.

Some TV's may have 'Auto-Switching HDMI' too in their settings and obviously, if that applies, you would need to turn that off, but most people tend to see that option, or it gets disabled by enabling the TV CEC control anyway, but I’ve only ever seen that problem mentioned with some Samsung TV's and not Panasonic.

Anyhow see how you get on with the things suggested later this evening.
Badge +1
Ok so I have looked over the TV and have looked at the setting:

Sky box seems - OK

Freeview - OK
Viera - Seems ok

Auto HDMI - Was set at two "Mode 2" have changed this to mode 1 then 2

I will have to test further as it does not always happen every time.
Solosheep,

Your sky box settings do not look okay to me from the screenshot you’ve posted. Your image shows that the CEC control is switched on. It needs to be switched off as stated in my earlier post. Just leave CEC control on for the Beam and your TV.
Badge +1
I tried it turned off too. But I need it on as I use Remote eye on another TV in another room. If I turn it off the remote in the other room won’t work
I tried it turned off too. But I need it on as I use Remote eye on another TV in another room. If I turn it off the remote in the other room won’t workIf you try it temporarily though, I was just wondering if it fixed your issue? If it does, then you will at least know where the problem lies. Although the only solution to it, if you need to leave the Sky CEC controls enabled, might be to move the Beam over to your TV Optical port instead.
Badge +1
I did try this and sadly it did not fix the issue. So confident it’s not that. I then changed the auto HDMI mode and it seemed to kick the sound into life.

And turn of all Veria link options to test

So I guess it’s more testing now.
Sorry your last two photos have confused me. Surely, It’s this one (attached) on your Sky Box that needed turning off?... the TV Settings looked fine to me in your original photos. What is the difference between mode 1 & 2 on your TV?
This link may help you...

http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33923/~/why-am-i-not-able-to-get-audio-or-video-when-connected-to-cable%2Fsatellite-box

If you switch HDMI modes, you might want to just check and confirm that your 5.1 audio-output to the Beam has not been manually switched to PCM stereo.
Badge +1
Hello

I don’t have an HDCP setting on my TV

So far with this switched round it seems to be ok.
That’s good news.

Did you check things, just to see that your Beam is still getting DD 5.1 surround sound, rather than just stereo, (where appropriate) when using the different HDMI mode on the TV. I would just check that.

You can see the type of audio received by going to 'About my Sonos System' in the Sonos App Settings and look for the 'Audio In' entry next to your Beam device.
Badge +1
I think it’s just stereo from the picture below. But i don’t know how I would get 5.1 when I only have the Beam and two play 1s

It would still show the 'audio in' as 5.1. You won’t get that kind of audio from normal TV channels. Do you have access to Netflix or Amazon Prime ... those Apps tend to output DD 5.1
Badge +1
Yes I have Netflix. So I will load that and then go to that setting on the app and see what it says
Badge +1
Ok so I think it was the mode issue as in Netflix it does say 5.1 audio.

Thanks for all the direction good to talk it though and find the solution
Solosheep

Ah good to hear it now appears to be sorted for you.?