Answered

sonos beam and Roku

If a sonos beam/play 1 surround setup is plugged into the tv arc port, can a roku user get sound from the roku remote audio jack?  The purpose is to keep the house quiet for everyone else.  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 May 2020, 05:55

Is the Roku remote audio jack designed for headphone use? If it is, no. The Beam relies on the Digital signal carried through HDMI to the TV set. 

View original

5 replies

Is the Roku remote audio jack designed for headphone use? If it is, no. The Beam relies on the Digital signal carried through HDMI to the TV set. 

Thanks Bruce.  The audio jack on the roku remote control would plug into some Bose wired headphones.  That way you could listen to the tv sound without disturbing others.  If the arc connection to Sonos would prevent that from working then I wouldn’t buy the roku with that feature.  

It is possible, as HDMI CEC might block the ability for the Roku to use a separate output, as CEC (and ARC) are designed with one speaker (System) to be connected. I’d suggest a simple test, though, to see how much the Roku device respects the CEC command structure. Or ask Roku. 

Fantastic.  I really appreciate your guidance Bruce.  Will do.  

I’d be interested in what you find out. ;)