Sonos beam

• 5 February 2019
  • 14 replies

Badge
Sonos beam wired direct to EE brightbox router, once sonos is working my WiFi drops terribly when I turn sonos off WiFi works again. WiFi is set to channel 1 and sonos net is on channel 11 it’s to the point I can’t use phone for internet eg Facebook or twitter whilst beam is connected and only running tv sound out??? Please help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Is there any other Sonos device wired to the network?
Badge
There is a play three running on WiFi that I occasionally group to the beam.
There is a play three running on WiFi that I occasionally group to the beam.
If the Beam is wired, and powered on, the Play:3 should be connecting directly to it via SonosNet not over WiFi to your router. What do the 'WM' parameters say in Settings/About My Sonos System?
Badge
Where abouts would I find these via sonos controller on my iPhone once connected?? Under what heading will they be?? Thanks
Where abouts would I find these via sonos controller on my iPhone once connected?? Under what heading will they be?? Thanks
More > Settings > About My Sonos System, as I indicated above.
Badge
Thanks for directions in menu... I’m new to this, says WM 0
The WM:0, on all (both) speakers, is as expected. You were obviously able to use the controller to access the system. What exactly triggers the internet problem? You hinted that it was when the TV was playing through the Beam.
Badge
Yes that’s right, internet and WiFi in house is fine the minute I turn on tv and beam it goes down to around 2Mbps and even Facebook etc won’t load on my iPhone. The tv and beam are both on wired connection to LAN ports 2&1 respectively on EE brightbox router. As soon as I turn beam off wifi and internet is restored to around 20Mbps
Do you power the Beam off along with the TV? It's designed to be left powered up, and in your case it will be providing a wireless connection to the Play:3. The Play:3 wouldn't work otherwise, unless you've previously entered your WiFi details into the Sonos system.
Badge
Yes I power beam off along with tv. Only occasionally use the play3 as awaiting payday to purchase another to make stereo pair. I can’t understand how having a LAN connection to the beam can reduce my internet is it taking all the bandwidth? The wifi details were put into the play3 as bought this prior to the beam.
You're inducing some instability in the system, and on the network, every time you power the Beam on. Because it's wired it will set up a SonosNet signal when it's powered up, which will cause the Play:3 to flip over from WiFi. In the process there will be bursts of broadcast network traffic.

If you're insistent on powering the Beam on and off every time -- which it's not designed for and will shorten its life -- then I suggest you remove the Ethernet cable from it. At least then it can come and go on the WiFi without causing the rest of the system (the Play:3) to thrash.
Badge
Thanks for advice I will leave beam now turned on, on same set of plug sockets as the router which stays permanently on. Will doing this see the system balance out and begin to stop influencing the internet and wifi issues? I’m sorry to keep asking questions I’m new to all this so keen to get it running perfectly.
One would hope it will be okay now. See how it goes.
Badge
Thank you for your help it is very much appreciated