Question

Sonos as my doorbell ???

• 13 January 2014
  • 15 replies

Hi there, I am using my Sonos System as my doorbell. Unfortunately does the Sonos not play my "Ding-Dong" Mp3 file? Do you have any ideas whtat i am doing wrong ?? Thanks Carsten

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

there is a failure message, that the .mp3 codect is wrong....... please help :-))))
Badge +18
Do you know how the mp3 file of the doorbell was encoded or where it was obtained from?  It might've been created using a codec which isn't compatible with Sonos or is in a file format which can't be played.
Do you know how the mp3 file of the doorbell was encoded or where it was obtained from?  
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have no idea how to figure that out. The problem was, that the original ding dong mp3 was to short. So I edited it with a 2 sec. pause at the beginning. Is it possible to send you the files ? Thanks in advance.
Do you know how the mp3 file of the doorbell was encoded or where it was obtained from?  
I am interested in doing this, how do you have your Sonos setup to be a doorbell
I know this is an old post, but has anyone resolved how to setup the Sonos to play a doorbell sound?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You would need to describe your specific issue. Sonos will play most file types
Recently we have installed a door station from Holovision in an apartment which is communicating with some Crestron touchpanels (TSW-750’s) inside. They are working fine, but the client says that “the doorbell sound on the panels is too low”. They have installed speakers in various zones been fed by some Connect Amp's. They are asking if there is a way to have the doorbell sound to come out through the speakers. The Sonos amplifiers are in the same network as the Crestron touchpanels. Is this possible?
This might be the best way to do wha you need: http://kck.st/1Sc3s5J .@Netonosnote
Sounds good, but it is not available yet.
Sounds good...
Hi Carsten,
could you tell us how you managed to use your Sonos System as your doorbell?
Thanks
Holger
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If you can run a node.js installation and integrate your Creston with it you could use this api to play a song: https://www.npmjs.com/package/sonos
Badge
With lextend, you can setup a sonos doorbell in 10 Minutes. Just connect lextend to the LAN and your existing doorbell button to an input of Lextend D-I6.

https://shop.egger-enertech.ch
I too would like to see an integrated SONOS Doorbell. I looked at the Lextend product suggested by segger, but it is prohibitively expensive (over $500) I believe that if SONOS offered an integrated doorbell, it would be well received by customers, and it would put the SONOS ecosystem up one big notch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With my smartthings I could have a motion sensor or button at front door tell Sonos to say via text to speak “someone is at the door” or “ding-ding”