Sonos Arc with Nintendo Switch and LG CX

Hello,

I recently tried using my Nintendo Switch for the first time since getting my Sonos setup, and I can't figure out how to get the Multichannel LPCM to work on it.

My current setup:

Sonos Arc

Sub Gen 3

2- Sonos One SL

LG CX

My Sonos app version is on the most current version of 13.1.3, and my Sonos system is on 13.1.1

The LG CX is also on the latest version of 03.23.06

My TV settings are as follows:

Sound Out: HDMI ARC

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through (Have also tried PCM and Auto)

eARC: On

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream (Have also tried PCM)

On the Switch under TV Settings, when I set it to Surround Sound and run a test, no sound comes through, and the Sonos app either shows No Signal or Silence. When I set to Stereo, sound will work, and the Sonos app will show Stereo PCM 2.0

I've seen other forums where people will say that Multichannel LPCM works for them using a Switch and LG CX, so I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong, or if there is something I may have missed.

I have tried different HDMI cables with the Switch and verified that my Arc is plugged into the eARC HDMI port (HDMI 2) on my TV. I have also tried multiple power cycles on the TV and Switch.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

I understand the Nintendo Switch should output LPCM 5.1 using the ‘surround sound’ setting and that the LG TV should have the following settings:

• HDMI Input set to ‘Bitstream’
  • eARC needs to be ‘ON’
  • Digital Sound Out - I would set that to ‘pass-through’

At least those would be my chosen settings.. As it’s not currently working for you, I would check for any device updates and put the mentioned settings in place and power off (not standby) all devices - Switch/TV/Arc for 30+ seconds and power them on again to setup the ‘Handshake’ between the products again. Then play a 5.1 audio source on the switch and see if that works for you.🤞

Userlevel 7

I would also try these settings:

Digital Sound Out: Passthrough

HDMI Input Audio Format: PCM

Nintendo Switch TV Sound: Surround

Good Morning,

@Ken_Griffiths  - I checked and verified that all devices (LG CX, Sonos system, and Nintendo Switch) are on the most current version.

I have the sound settings that you recommended, and then powered off all devices (unplugging the TV and Arc as well) for 30+ seconds. Unfortunately, after powering everything back on and trying again, the Switch will still not output any sound when running the test after switching to Surround, or running a 5.1 supported game (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe). 

@GuitarSuperstar - I also tried the settings you recommended, and the Switch still does not output any sound when running the test after switching to Surround, or running a 5.1 supported game.

If there is anything further I should try, please let me know 

Thanks!

@rflurry512,

The only other thing I can think of is to try a different HDMI cable between the switch and the TV - and perhaps also toggle eARC on the TV ‘off’ and ‘on’ again. It must be ‘on’.

Do you perhaps also have another 5.1 audio source on the Switch that you can try?

Hey @Ken_Griffiths ,

So I've tried 3 HDMI cables now, and two games that should run 5.1 (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Tennis) along with the test that runs after switching to Surround on the Switch.

There was an update for the Sonos app and system (13.4) that I ran as well, and the app still shows as No Signal when playing a 5.1 game on the Switch.

If there's anything else that you or anyone else can think of, please let me know.

Thanks!

These settings give me multi channel 5.1 with the full Arc system. The Switch is set to surround.

(Also, I named this Sonos set up "The garden" as there are 22 alive house plants in the room).

Those are the LG TV settings I would use too - but maybe it’s something connected with the Nintendo switch settings in this instance, but I’m not familiar with those settings so can’t add anything that will assist further.

Userlevel 7

Is there a “DTV Audio Setting” on the TV?

Is there a “DTV Audio Setting” on the TV?

I think the OP has tried that on Auto, & Dolby Digital (but may not have tried other’s, like DD+ …but I expected the default ‘Auto’ to work🤔?

These settings give me multi channel 5.1 with the full Arc system. The Switch is set to surround.

(Also, I named this Sonos set up "The garden" as there are 22 alive house plants in the room).

Lame question, but is your HDMI Input “Bitstream” or “PCM”? 

thank you!

Lame question, but is your HDMI Input “Bitstream” or “PCM”? 

thank you!

For clarification I have my tv set to bitstream. My bad on having PCM highlighted with the remote in the photo. Selecting PCM only gives me stereo sound with game consoles.

Oof! My dang setup only gives 7.1 with these settings and Switch, Arc, and LG

Thank you for the reply!

Hey Everyone!

Sorry for the delayed response, and @Tylertron21, thank you for the screenshots. Here are some of mine:

Sound Out: HDMI ARC
Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

eARC: Toggle ON
HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream (Have tried PCM as well)
Nintendo Switch TV Settings
TV Sound: Surround Sound
Sonos app: No Sound
Sonos app: No Signal

Please let me know if everything looks good on my end, or if I may be doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7

@rflurry512 Have you tried unplugging the Arc, Switch, and LG from power for a couple of minutes?

@rflurry512 Have you tried unplugging the Arc, Switch, and LG from power for a couple of minutes?

OP do this while also unplugging every HDMI to the CX. Leave the devices fully unplugged from the wall outlet and tv inputs for 10 full minutes. Set a timer to return to plug everything back on.

Start with the Sonos, plug your full Sonos system in to the wall and allow it all to power on.

Now the CX, turn on the CX, let it fully power up. Plug up the Nintendo and also power it up.

Now plug in each HDMI one at a time with the Arc being last in the chain. Wait a minute before playing any audio once you select the Switch input as the tv automatically switched from internal speakers to earc.

See if this woowoo magic works. This method fixed the audio lag issue I use to have with my tv and the Arc.

Hey all,

So here are the steps that I tried:

1. Powered off the TV, Arc, Switch, etc.
  2. Unplugged all devices from the wall outlet (TV, Arc, Fire TV Stick, Switch dock, cable box) and waited around 15 mins
  3. Plugged the Arc back in, and waited for it to fully come back up
  4. Plugged the TV in, and powered back on
  5. Plugged in the Switch, and the rest of the devices back into the wall outlet and powered on the Switch
  6. Plugged the Switch HDMI cable into the TV first, then the cable box and Fire TV Stick one at a time. Changed to the Switch input
  7. Plugged the Arc into the eARC HDMI port on the TV (HDMI 2)

After doing these steps, I waited a bit then tried switching the sound on the Switch from Stereo to Surround. Unfortunately, I was still not able to get any sound to come through when running the test after changing the sound. I also could not get any sound running a 5.1 supported game, and the Sonos app showed as No Signal (like my above screenshot).

I have also tried plugging the Switch another HDMI port to test, and had no success.

I’m not really sure where to go from here troubleshooting wise, but I’m willing to try any further steps you all may have.

Thanks!

Is it possible to try another Switch and dock with your tv? Maybe have a friend bring theirs over. I normally don't suggest these basic ideas for people but, have you tried another HDMI cable? I am using the one that came with my Switch.

Userlevel 2

With

HDMI Input: Bitstream
Digital Sound Output: Passthrough

your Sonos app should be showing Multichannelp PCM 7.1 in the app. The 7.1 is just an LG TV problem, the speakers will still be getting the correct 5.1

whats odd is that you’re not even getting the 7.1 to show up. Do you have every HDMI Input set to bitstream? Make sure to do that. Also double check that the Sonos Arc is plugged into the ARC HDMI port and turn eARC off then on again.

also make sure your sound out is only set to ARC. Not ARC + TV speaker or any other combination.

Userlevel 2

Also maybe buy brand new HDMI 2.1 cables just to be 100% certain every cable in this chain is up-to-date

Hey all,

@Tylertron21  - So I went ahead and tried both my brother’s Switch and dock with the same results. I have also tried 3 different HDMI cables including the original one that came with the Switch.

@ejihnen  - I included some screenshots above of how my settings are. One of the screenshots shows that the HDMI Input Audio Format for each HDMI input is set to Bitstream, another screenshot shows where the Sound Out is set to HDMI ARC only, and I did double check and verify the Sonos Arc is plugged into the eARC port (HDMI 2) on my TV. Here’s another screenshot to show this:

Per your suggestion, I did toggle off eARC and wait a bit, then toggled back on and tested with the same results. As for the HDMI cables, I am using the original HDMI cable that came with the Sonos Arc that goes from the Arc into HDMI 2, and I have tried 3 different HDMI cables for the Switch, all with the same results.

I do have one more thing I can think of trying which I will probably try later on this week, but I’m open to anymore suggestions prior to then.

Thank you again for the continued responses and recommendations!

Are there any other devices going to the LG through HDMI? A pc, laptop, HDMI splitter, dock, converters, other consoles or streaming sticks? If so unplug those with the tv on. Then while keeping all other devices removed unplug the tv from the wall for 5 or 10 minutes. Turn the TV on and with only the Nintendo switch and nothing else plugged in give it a try. 

If that doesn't work I would then suggest taking a photo of all your tv settings then perform a factory reset on the TV. Possibly even the Switch, though I know how much of a pain that can be to reinstall games.

Badge

I had the exact same problem as you, and even made a similar post.

I ended up finding a fairly good fix! Set the TV sound settings to passthrough, eArc on, bitstream on HDMI input. Also, in the Sonos app, make sure you turn audio compression settings to uncompressed. Not sure if it matters, but what the heck, right?

Then set the switch to surround mode. You won't hear anything, but go ahead and put the switch in rest mode. Turn the TV off. Then power the switch on with the controller while the TV is off. Proceed to turn the TV on and see if audio is working. It's worked for me twice now. It only seems to get out of sorts again if you unplug any HDMI inputs and mess up the eArc chain you've got going.

Hey @ChingisKhaan27,

So I tried your method, and unfortunately it didn’t work for me. I do believe this a LG CX issue though because I’ve found a workaround that will work temporarily too.

So if I set the Switch to Surround Sound with the normal TV settings (TV sound settings to passthrough, eArc on, bitstream on HDMI input) and start a game that supports 5.1 (like Mario Party Tennis) I can unplug the power cable for the TV from the outlet, wait a few seconds then plug the cable back in and turn the TV on. Doing this, the audio for the game will kick on using the Surround Sound, and the Sonos app will show the Multichannel LPCM. This only temporarily works until I change the input or power the TV off then back on, at which point it no longer works.

So just like you, I think this is an issue with the LG CX, and I’m hoping a future firmware update for the TV fixes this.

Thank you for your suggestion though!

@ChingisKhaan27

Actually, as soon I posted my reply, your way did end up working. I set the Switch to Surround Sound, powered it off, then turned the TV off. I waited a bit, turned the TV on first, then the Switch and the sound started working on surround with Multichannel LPCM 7.1 showing in the Sonos app. But, the same thing happens with the method I found where as soon as I switch inputs then come back to the Switch, the sound no longer works.

Having similar issues to this too, which is odd because everything was working fine last week. Was playing mario kart with surround no issue. 

Everything else works fine with surround from my pc to my ps5. I’m trying the ‘work around’ listed above and no luck.