Question

SONOS ARC- what can you do if your TV does not pass through Dolby Atmos from external Blu-ray player / game console / streaming box?

• 12 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am struggling to get Atmos to pass through my TV from external media player devices into the Sonos Arc.

Am I forever limited to Atmos from internal TV apps?

Surely I must be able to run Atmos out of my 4K Blu Ray player or what's the point?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Currently, there isn’t much to be done, except purchase a new TV that can pass through the necessary signals. There is some hope that one of the makers of HDMI switches will make a new version that will be able to pull off and create either HDMI ARC or an eARC signal for us, but that device doesn’t yet exist. 

That’s disappointing. 

There must be a way to fix this via a firmware upgrade.

In the couple months since I originally responded, there has been an change. See the HDFury thread here

Badge

Probably not the answer you are looking for but I have had success with Shield tv (the newest cylinder shaped one). It gives me Atmos on all apps that support it and my tv only has arch not e-arch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

With no eARC you're getting DD+ with compressed Atmos. TS already has this from his TV apps.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but I have had success with Shield tv (the newest cylinder shaped one). It gives me Atmos on all apps that support it and my tv only has arch not e-arch.

How does that work? since there is only one HDMI input on the Sonos ARC, you have to connect the Shield TV to it. My Samsung TV only has ARC not eARC.

Sad that other sounders offer atmos despite the limitation. 

Badge

I plug the Sonos into the arc input ( I don’t have e-arc either) then the shield into HDMI 2 on my tv.

Badge

With no eARC you're getting DD+ with compressed Atmos. TS already has this from his TV apps.

this is true. I was just offering another option of getting Atmos.