Answered

Sonos Arc - Volume Control via FIOS Remote

• 14 December 2022
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos Arc soundbar.  My Fios remote only lets me increase the volume but not decrease it.  The only way I can decrease the volume is by using the app on my phone.  I spoke to a Sonos Tech and he told me that I needed to contact Frontier to have them do something with my remote.  I did and was told that they do not have a remote to do what I want.  They said they no longer have my FIOS system and there was nothing they could do.  Is there a Universal remote control that I could use?  I prefer to use a remote that reduce the volume via my Phone.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 December 2022, 12:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @The Commish 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The Arc can be programmed to accept just about any remote - as long as it transmits InfraRed (IR). Check if you have an IR remote. Some newer remotes (definitely those with microphones for voice assistants) use radio instead of IR, but these can usually be configured to transmit IR too.

I recommend you find a remote you already have for an old, disused TV or HiFi, replace the batteries and program your Arc to accept it - Control Sonos home theater with your TV remote. If you don’t have any old remotes, just about any universal remote should work - just tell it to use a random manufacturer’s codes and then teach the Arc.

However, if your Arc connects to your TV via HDMI-ARC or eARC, rather than via the optical adaptor, then none of this is necessary - just use the TV’s remote! As long as HDMI-CEC (it has different names on different TVs - SimpLink on LG, Anynet+ on Samsung, VieraLink on Sony) is enabled, the TV remote’s volume commands will be passed along the HDMI cable to the Arc.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.  I did buy a universal remote but could not get it to do the volume.  I will try again.  Thanks for the response.