Sonos Arc TV sound drops off

• 22 August 2020
  • 58 replies

Badge +1

My Sonos Arc connected to Sony Bravia TV (new and earc capable, drops sound randomly. Appears to be a known issue neither Sonos or Sony care much about. After a month of this happening I must say I am totally over this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will Sonos or Sony acknowledge the issue!!!!!!!!??????? Unlikely 🤔. Ok how about fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

I’m having the same problem with my Arc and submitted multiple support tickets with no solution in sight (Sony X900H). 

based on this thread, it seems like it’s a problem with Sony, which is funny because this does not happen with my PS4, only with built in streaming apps. I can’t remember if this happened with my old Plasma but my wife is ready to throw the TV and Arc out the window. 

Userlevel 7

Didn’t the latest firmware update for your TV add eARC support?

So, I realized the hdmi port on my TV is ARC but not eArc so instead of leaving the audio compression set to auto on the sonos, I changed it to compressed. It seems to be better but it still will drop, l but very in frequently. 

I am thinking about putting it on the optical cable to see if that takes care of it but it's pretty aggravating to have purchased a PRICEY eArc atmos compatible sound bar and then not be able to receive that format.

Userlevel 7

If that doesn’t work, one other option would be to change the S/PDIF and eARC setting to Dolby Digital Plus. I’m not sure how this will affect non-DD+ audio though.

Ok. eARC is the only thing on. Let's see how that goes.....

I was just going to update this because my sound just dropped! The diagnostics is a waste of time.

I'll look at standby

Userlevel 7

Try disabling System Standby too since you don’t have any other devices connected.

The only change I just made was to completely disable the TV speakers. Maybe that will make a difference. The rest of the settings were as they are pictured.

Userlevel 7

Did you set up CEC and enable HDMI ARC on your TV?

My only source is my TV. I have a Roku OS so I can stream directly from it or watch cable from it. No other source is attached to the ARC. My software version on the TCL is 9.4.0 which is current. The build is 4200.

Userlevel 7

Does the audio drop out no matter the source? Are you using any external media devices? What firmware version are you running on your TV? Can you send photos of your TV settings?

Not yet. I am using the earc hdmi cable that came with it. Are you familiar with this problem? I'm so very sickened by this. Its happening right out of the box and this system was so expensive

Userlevel 7

@Bpf12158 Have you tried using a different HDMI cable?

I have a new TCL 65" Class 4K UHD QLED Roku Smart TV HDR 6 Series 65R625 TV and just bought an Arc and Sub. I'm having the same issue where the audio randomly drops at least once a day. If I reboot the TV it comes right back but this is so disappointing. I bought sonos because my brother has the original sound bar and sub and it rocks. This was pricey but I was so excited to get it only to find it's not what I was hoping for. Is there a fix for this?

Not sure this will help but saw this on a Reddit forum and it’s how I have it set up on my Sony af9.

hdmi 3 output (which is what the sonus arc should be connected to for eArc): set to standard and not enhanced (apparently Sony says this is the issue), all other hdmi ouputs can be set to enhanced 

earc: set to auto

pass through: set to auto

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have the Sony 75x9500G too, with a Sonos Beam, and its been dropping sound for a year now. Connected via HDMI Arc. 

The only way to get sound back is to reboot the TV through the settings. 

Should i just give up on HDMI Arc and connect via Optical?

No it’s not the same issue, same outcome though…. audio not working.

I have no issues watching television using my arris digital decoder. As soon as I switch to Netflix and watch a high audio/video it starts cutting out. Rebooting is the only thing working right now… and it’s highly annoying considering it’s €2500 entertainment system...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is it the same issue as described in this thread? https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/arc-tv-sound-cuts-in-and-out-6842963

Any updates so far? 

Audio keeps dropping... 3 times in 1 hour while using the Netflix app on my Sony XG950. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @method_ben, thanks for your response. We understand where you all coming from and we are working on it. We’ll let you know here once we have an update available. Appreciate your patience and understanding. 

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge +1

Hi @Krishma M 

The problem here is that there is no fix for the Sony 950G and I really hope that Sonos is talking to Sony to find a solution. I spent a lot of money on my Sonos system and it should be compatible with all the well known brands like Sony. Using DD instead of DD+ is not an option for me because it doesn’t support Atmos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out here and welcome to the new users here. Let me share this thread that may be helpful to your concern. Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

issue is not fixed and no update yet 

tried below and now drop off issue reduced and rarely happening now.

1. Connect Sonos S2 app to  2.4 GHz channel 6
  2. Change 2.4 GHz  WIFI router settings from Auto to channel 11.
  3. connect your TV Network also to 2.4 GHz. I faced lot off drop offs when connected to 5G. I suspect may be my 5G WIFI signals were not healthy in where my TV placed. After connect my TV to same network as ARC (2.4) it is reduced lot.
  4. Disable TV Audio output- Audio system prioritization