Question

Sonos ARC- still muddy Bass

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I just heard a very bass-heavy song and unfortunately I heard a problem, with very deep bass it sounds like the drivers are at their limit and it sounds like an unclean muddy vibration... No matter if with trueplay or without  , trueplay made it even worse ... With the subwoofer you don't notice this problem.

With the stereo distribution, one does not always have the impression that something comes from the left or right and with Atmos from the top only minimally.

The voices sound rather thin and artificial and the adaptation to a 5.1.2 system with the Sub and 2 Play 5 does not work properly either, because the speakers sound very different in tone and you think that it is a completely different system from a different manufacturer  is.

I have a sub, the Arc in front of the TV on the furniture and 2 Play 5 in the back ... Everything at 0 EQ and still the Play 5 sound much warmer and more powerful than the Arc.

The bass reproduction is not the problem with the Sub, rather the coordination of the Arc with the Play 5.

With the Arc alone, the bass distorts at a volume of 50% and the bass to 0.

The best way to notice that distort on Spotify with the song hypnotized by Oliver Kolletzki as well as the bad tuning, also in Atmos films via Netflix where cars drive ... They sound much more real and pleasant on the Play 5 than on the Arc.

Trueplay was measured with the iPad Air 2, but the bass problem also exists without, just a little less.

I'm going to make a diagnosis after work tonight.

I have the feeling that the soundbar is not yet fully developed and has come onto the market too early.

Does anyone else have such problems?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 1

Diagnosis Arc: 1517330714 
Arc, Sub 2x Play5 (5.1.2.): 501970039

Yep still have this problem. I have raised a ticket and its with an engineer with whom I have shared video and sound recordings. Its a poor piece of kit considering how long it's been since the playbar came out and how much it costs. The playbar is immense so I'll be returning this assuming they do not have an immediate fix and I'll get myself the playbar again. 

Userlevel 1

I'll wait a little bit longer and give it a chance, because I like the Dolby Atmos and the wider soundstage... But if it remains as it is, than I'll send it back. As it is now, it isn't worth the money...

Yep still have this problem. I have raised a ticket and its with an engineer with whom I have shared video and sound recordings. Its a poor piece of kit considering how long it's been since the playbar came out and how much it costs. The playbar is immense so I'll be returning this assuming they do not have an immediate fix and I'll get myself the playbar again. 

I'll wait a little bit longer and give it a chance, because I like the Dolby Atmos and the wider soundstage... But if it remains as it is, than I'll send it back. As it is now, it isn't worth the money...

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I reported this last week was told to leave with them and yesterday they rma’d it I asked if a replacement would definitely fix it the closed the ticket and didn’t answer 

Userlevel 1

I reported this last week was told to leave with them and yesterday they rma’d it I asked if a replacement would definitely fix it the closed the ticket and didn’t answer 

That's bad, I was told to call the support for a solution... But it seems to be a general problem which are lot of us facing

Userlevel 1

I just called the support, 

They told me that they are aware of the issues I described and are working on a solution, they also said that it's about the software and not the hardware and that there is gonna be an update that's gonna fix it.

So we'll have to wait and see

They told me that they are aware of the issues I described and are working on a solution, they also said that it's about the software and not the hardware and that there is gonna be an update that's gonna fix it.

Hi.
So they are aware that the problem persists even after the update? Just so I get it confirmed, I have not been able to start a support case yet and wonder if you should just calm down and wait for a fix.

Userlevel 1

Hi.
So they are aware that the problem persists even after the update? Just so I get it confirmed, I have not been able to start a support case yet and wonder if you should just calm down and wait for a fix.

That's what they told me... The support said that they are working on it and will release new updates, and if the upcoming updates can't fix it, then it's a warranty case.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ALL.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us about your concerns.

We are still as of this moment working with the known issue about the Sonos Arc having muddied without satellites or a Sub. Our engineers are still trying to diagnose what is causing this issue. We do not have any turn around time yet but i suggest subscribing to this thread so you’ll be updated once the issue have been resolved.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @ALL.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us about your concerns.

We are still as of this moment working with the known issue about the Sonos Arc having muddied without satellites or a Sub. Our engineers are still trying to diagnose what is causing this issue. We do not have any turn around time yet but i suggest subscribing to this thread so you’ll be updated once the issue have been resolved.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Hi Paul

it is very much their with rear channels as well not just standalone 

thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve had similar issues.  I don’t believe the Arc integrates well with the rears.  So bad that I just disconnected rears and put them back in a bedroom. The Arc sounds much more coherent by itself.

I also notice the issue with stereo music reproduction.  This is the one aspect of the Arc that drives me crazy,  I know it can sound great with music.  But when almost all of the left and right stereo sound fires directly out the side facing drivers it’s going to sound bad.  There are left and right forward facing drivers, please route sound there Sonos!

Userlevel 3
Badge

…..the side facing woofers should be used primarily for bass support during stereo music playback.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @pyro225.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I would like to share that a topic or a thread is closed if Sonos mods were able to see that there were already more than 1 topic of the same issue from the same member posted on a specific medium like for this instance the Sonos community. However this does not mean that the issue is closed without addressing it. It was possibly closed to avoid possible spam. However, Let me assure you that this topic is not closed unless the issue has been resolved and a message will be posted once issue have been resolved.

Please let me know if your still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @pyro225.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I would like to share that a topic or a thread is closed if Sonos mods were able to see that there were already more than 1 topic of the same issue from the same member posted on a specific medium like for this instance the Sonos community. However this does not mean that the issue is closed without addressing it. It was possibly closed to avoid possible spam. However, Let me assure you that this topic is not closed unless the issue has been resolved and a message will be posted once issue have been resolved.

Thanks,

Thanks Paul - as I think you are aware we are just watching the clock on returns windows 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @pyro225.

Yes and thank you for your patience. Our engineers are working hard to get this fixed as soon as they can. 

We will keep you up to date once this is fixed.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just setup my ARC and started watching TV. The first thing my wife said was “What is the funny sound”. It sounds like its something wrong in the base. I don’t have a sub so I assume its the same problem. Hopefully there will be a softyware fix otherwise its going back. Way too much money not to sound right.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dmlear57.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out

We have already been made aware of this ongoing issue with the Sonos Arc having a muddy sound with the bass sound. 

Our engineers are working hard to get this fixed as soon as they can. 

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

Hi @dmlear57.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out

We have already been made aware of this ongoing issue with the Sonos Arc having a muddy sound with the bass sound. 

Our engineers are working hard to get this fixed as soon as they can. 

Thanks,

Thanks for answering, can you tell us if it is a software or hardware problem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @mumufcb.

Thanks for your feedback.

As of this moment, no information has been cascaded yet from our engineering team since this is still under investigation. Once issue has been determined and a fix has been released, that would be the only way on how can we tell if this is a hardware or software issue.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. I am always here to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you for the updates @Paul A . I think we all appreciate your updates.  But at this point, I think it would be helpful for someone a bit higher up at Sonos to:

• State whether or not you have reproduced the reported issues in-house.
  • Assure customers that all return windows and warranties will be extended until you have fixed the issue or acknowledged that you cannot fix the issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @bjl.

Thanks for the immediate feedback.

Here is the main thread about this topic and based on the feedback I got from the higher tiers. Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass, this topic on page 38 have a response from one of our Sonos product manager. Please feel free to read through the topic and commend if you deemed necessary to reach out.

I hope i was able to give you the requested assistance.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks

@Paul A 

Paul… I realize you’re just the messenger here so this frustration isn't all directed your way. However, your updates are appreciated they are frankly, and respectfully, not really informative. This has been ongoing for a month. Sonos released an update which was supposed to fix the bass issue and did not. Now it’s still under investigation. In the midst of that, as a result of some likely difficult corporate decisions, the one person working with the community (Ryan S) was let go. You repeatedly telling us that Sonos is aware and investigating isn’t helping. We really need Sonos to confirm the Arc hardware is not defective. Customers should be told whether or not they need to return their $800 soundbar before the return window closes OR there should be some guarantee that the return window will be extended until 45-days after a definitive solution is available. This will allow customers to experience the Arc, working as intended, for 45 days. As the return window closes for many initial buyers everyone can’t be expected to keep a clearly defective product until Sonos figures out what the issue is. Furthermore, if the issue ends up being hardware, customers don’t deserve to have their equipment swapped out with something that’s “certified like-new” or have a software fix tune the defective hardware such that it performs in a way that masks the issue. Customers need some assurance those things won’t happen. People have been patient but the whole “we’re investigating” talk track is getting old.

Userlevel 1

@Paul A

Paul… I realize you’re just the messenger here so this frustration isn't all directed your way. However, your updates are appreciated they are frankly, and respectfully, not really informative. This has been ongoing for a month. Sonos released an update which was supposed to fix the bass issue and did not. Now it’s still under investigation. In the midst of that, as a result of some likely difficult corporate decisions, the one person working with the community (Ryan S) was let go. You repeatedly telling us that Sonos is aware and investigating isn’t helping. We really need Sonos to confirm the Arc hardware is not defective. Customers should be told whether or not they need to return their $800 soundbar before the return window closes OR there should be some guarantee that the return window will be extended until 45-days after a definitive solution is available. This will allow customers to experience the Arc, working as intended, for 45 days. As the return window closes for many initial buyers everyone can’t be expected to keep a clearly defective product until Sonos figures out what the issue is. Furthermore, if the issue ends up being hardware, customers don’t deserve to have their equipment swapped out with something that’s “certified like-new” or have a software fix tune the defective hardware such that it performs in a way that masks the issue. Customers need some assurance those things won’t happen. People have been patient but the whole “we’re investigating” talk track is getting old.

I agree, it's getting annoying and it was not a cheap product... There has to be some clearance soon if the problem can be fixed by update (and when) or if we have to return the arc.

Userlevel 1

It also seems like nothing happens with the Arc if you turn the loudness in the EQ on or of, it sounds pretty much the same...

I love the sound of the arc but I definitely hear the bass issues everyone is talking about. My deadline to send back is tomorrow. Hoping they find an issue soon. At some point I plan on getting a sub but regardless the arc should work without it.