Answered

Sonos ARC > Sky Q > Lip Sync Issue

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have recently swapped an old 5.1 system out with the Sonos Arc.  The 5.1 system had all components connected into the A/V receiver with one HDMI from the receiver to the TV (Sony Bravia KD49XE8005) and had absolutely no lip sync problems.

I’ve now set up the Arc (via ARC) and, I thought, everything was still fine.  I had no lip sync issues on apple TV, PS4 and some Sky content.  Sonos Arc is connected via ARC (HDMI 3 in my TV’s case) with the Apple TV, PS4 and Sky Q box connected via other HDMI inputs.  

However, I have identified a very specific issue with Sky Q.  When watching stereo content (i.e. non HD) I have no lip sync issues.  When watching UHD Atmos content (output via DD+), there are no lip sync issues.  However, when Sky Q outputs DD5.1 the audio and video go out of sync in the way that can’t be fixed (i.e. video is ahead of the audio).

I have tried a power cycle and the issue still persists.  Additionally, when I set the Sky Q HDMI output to normal and it outputs in stereo the audio and video are in sync.

I really want to find a solution to this because the Arc sounds great and Atmos content is brilliant, but lip sync issues for what is likely to be the vast majority of my TV watching is a bit of a deal breaker!

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

icon

Best answer by RussHill919 5 July 2020, 08:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Userlevel 1

Any ideas anyone?  Someone mentioned that PCM resolves this issue but that only seems to give a stereo signal?

Badge

I have the exact same issue with my recently purchased Philips OLED854. The Same set up with my previous Samsung Tv did not exhibit the problem at all. My only solution is to change the skyQ sound output to “normal” which kinda defeats the purpose of having a Dolby digital/Atmos sound bar. Logic suggests it has something to do with the way the tv is processing the Dolby digital signal which adds a delay. As the sound is behind the picture there are no adjustments via the tv, skyQ or the Arc that can help. 

Userlevel 1

I have the exact same issue with my recently purchased Philips OLED854. The Same set up with my previous Samsung Tv did not exhibit the problem at all. My only solution is to change the skyQ sound output to “normal” which kinda defeats the purpose of having a Dolby digital/Atmos sound bar. Logic suggests it has something to do with the way the tv is processing the Dolby digital signal which adds a delay. As the sound is behind the picture there are no adjustments via the tv, skyQ or the Arc that can help. 

I feel your pain :(

After a ridiculous amount of research and a visit from the sky engineer, there’s nothing that fixes it.  It seems to be something to do with the DD signal from Sky Q, it’s a pretty well documented problem!  I even looked at returning the Arc and getting a different soundbar with multiple HDMI inputs so I can plug loads of devices directly in, but there doesn’t seem to be anything that does that and has good reviews.

What does work is plugging directly into the Arc via optical.  So for now, I’ve resigned myself to an optical signal with a switch to plug everything into.  There is a HDMI product called the Arcana from HDFury that will resolve the problem and allow full Atmos signals but is not available until October.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Another option is to try a native NowTV App if your TV has one, bypass the SkyQ box.

Badge

It is definitely an HDMI related issue as I have now  also linked up using optical and no problem at all with lip sync. Grrrrrr😤

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Another option is to try a native NowTV App if your TV has one, bypass the SkyQ box.

Sky Q and Now TV are different products. If you subscribe to Sky Q, you don't have access to Now TV….. it is an entirely different subscription and proposition.

There was talk of a native Smart TV App for Sky Q at one point, not sure if it is still on the cards…. but would be useful if it were

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, 

which model Q boxes are you using?

1tb UHD

V1 2tb (silver bottom) without power pack on power cable

V2 2tb (silver bottom) with power pack on power cable

V3 2tb black bottom and no power pack on the power cable?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

V2 2TB for me.

All TV apps are fine for me

Sky Q is hit and miss, some channels worse than others.

Sky 1 HD can be pretty bad

BBC 1 HD on live broadcasts is usually iffy

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks BMF.

does it happen just on live content or does it occur on on demand stuff too?

what tv are you using and what do you have the audio settings set to on the q box, tv?

I only seem to get it with mine when it’s been paused for around half an hour but a reboot of the tv sorts it, I’ve never noticed on live channels so much.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I’ve noticed it was worse on live TV with things like News, One Show etc

Hit and miss with on demand on the Sky Q sometimes it’s fine, other times it is out.

Rebooting TV does not fix it.

I have a Samsung UE55RU7400U connected to the 2TB V2 Sky Q box, but it was still iffy with the previous Panasonic TX-50cx680b.

Sky Q is set to DD+ over HDMI and Normal for Optical

setting it to Normal for HDMI usually fixes it, but that is obviously not an acceptable solution.

weirdly the Mini, now connected to the Panasonic seems fine with a Beam.

only common item with the issue is the Main Sky Q boxes (I had a V1 before)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks BMF, I will try some more here with mine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

If you find anything that helps, I would be interested to hear

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve passed the info on to some people I know at sky to see if they can push it to the right places 👍🏼

Userlevel 1

I’ve passed the info on to some people I know at sky to see if they can push it to the right places 👍🏼

Oooh that would be amazing.  I had a Sky engineer come out and he said he’d never heard of any lip sync problems before and his solution was to ‘just listen in stereo’.  Needless to say, I pointed out that wasn’t an option….

I’ve now got an optical switch and everything plugged directly into the Arc and placed a pre-order for the Arcana which should be shipping soon!  A quick Google search shows that this issue isn’t anything new to Sky Q so I’m not expecting a quick fix from them anytime soon!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yeah, Sky has always had issues with lip sync for as long as I remember. Sky HD was a nightmare for a while, but eventually it improved.

Sky Q has been iffy since launch with Lip sync, that is with 2 different TV’s 4 different sound bars, 3 different sky Q boxes.

I have ONLY had issues with Sky Q, never with AppleTV, Blu-ray or native TV apps.

The “set audio to normal” seems to always be the response, errrm no.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve had a call from one this morning so he’s going to see who he can get onto about it 👍🏼

I’ve had a call from one this morning so he’s going to see who he can get onto about it 👍🏼

Any luck Rich?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Any luck Rich?

All I’ve heard is that it’s landed with the right people and they’re starting to look into it, I’d say it’ll be a while yet but at least they’re aware of it 👍🏼

Badge

I have the same issue with my Philips OLED TV and Sonos Beam. No other issues with lip sync with PS4, Firestick etc but only with Sky Q. Switching from Dolby Digital to Normal fixes it but I don't want to watch a UHD picture with Stereo 2.0 sound. I've reached out to Sky who say they are not aware of any issues!

If I went down the optical switcher option that is found to resolve it. But I fear I would have to use the switcher to move the audio each time I was to change source to my fire stick etc.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same issue with my Philips OLED TV and Sonos Beam. No other issues with lip sync with PS4, Firestick etc but only with Sky Q. Switching from Dolby Digital to Normal fixes it but I don't want to watch a UHD picture with Stereo 2.0 sound. I've reached out to Sky who say they are not aware of any issues!

If I went down the optical switcher option that is found to resolve it. But I fear I would have to use the switcher to move the audio each time I was to change source to my fire stick etc.

Depends who you’ve spoken to at Sky, I’ve been speaking to some of the right people and they’re aware of this issues and testing things in the background, I’ve been talking to one of them again this even and trying a few bits for them. 

Badge

Depends who you’ve spoken to at Sky, I’ve been speaking to some of the right people and they’re aware of this issues and testing things in the background, I’ve been talking to one of them again this even and trying a few bits for them. 

Ok that’s really good news. I hope they release an update soon.

I too have this problem. With Samsung TV and Sky Q. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not sure how long it may take to be fair, at least the right people are now aware of it and starting to work on it 😁

Badge

I have ordered a Toslink splitter as an interim measure until Sky find a fix. This was suggested to me on mother forum. I have a PS4 and Sky Q. The firestick and chromecast are obviously plugged into the TV so the optical from the splitter into the TV should allow sound to work for those two. For the PS4 I will switch the source on the splitter whenever I use it.  Even if I use it until a fix comes in I'll be happy.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m also having the sound problems with my new Sonos Arc connecting to my brand new 2020 Samsung Q95T TV and Sky Q. I’ve spent several fruitless hours on the merry go round of phone calls with the retailer, Sonos and Sky. The usual response is it must be me as they are unaware of any lip sync problems, my connections are wrong or I haven’t plugged in the hdmi leads correctly. I like others, have now plugged in the optical converter connector supplied with the Sonos Arc from the Arc to the optical input on my TV which solves the issues except that Dolby Atmos doesn’t work as others have pointed out. The 5.1 sound I’m getting is an improvement on the TV sound (which to be fair is pretty good) but not what I’m paying a lot of money for. I’m still in my 30 day retailer return period. Do I return the Sonos Arc as a protest to get the attention of Sonos at least or is that a futile gesture? Do I keep the Arc and hope that a solution will be found in the future? How will I know if it has?