Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Userlevel 3

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

icon

Best answer by Ditte 22 January 2021, 17:53

View original

668 replies

In the Sonos app, go to System | About my System. Scroll down. You should see that it’s streaming Atmos. If not, the patch has done something. 

When watching Jack Ryan on Amazon prime (which I’m sure used to be ATMOS) it comes up with Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1. I’m almost sure when you click on the Sonos acr audio control the ATMOS symbol used to appear however it doesn’t now. 

Yeah, Jack Ryan isn’t in Atmos anymore, don’t think. Don’t believe Prime does Atmos anymore. I get the Atmos icon watching some NetFlix shows. That’s how I check. 

Ah right that makes sense, sorry for the unnecessary concern! I also must say I haven’t had a single dropout since the patch.

That’s a  relief. Going to call support to have this done.

I was able to contact support and after a long Q and A, my case was escalated.  Unfortunately, lots of others must be doing the same as it’s at least 5 days until someone will be reaching out to me with the fix (hopefully).  I’ll be doing Arc reboots in the meantime.  :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok. So I had the patch installed yesterday. Cudos to Sonos support who recognised the problem and organised the patch quickly. It seemed to work. I went about doing what I normally did to reproduce the issue: no problems. However. There was one occasion, right in the middle of watching a program on Prime, when audio dropped right out. Just dropped out. Flipped over to TV, ok. Netflix, no audio. Turned off TV, back on, all good again. Maybe this was just a glitch, not sure. I’ll keep monitoring. If the problem’s still there, I expect Sonos will be on it. 

Hi. I also have had similar problems with constant sound dropouts between my Sonos Arc and Samsung Q95 series TV. Turning the power of the Sonos on & off was the only way to temporarily resolve this.
I firstly contacted my supplier who said it was a known problem and that I would have to wait for an update from Samsung or Sonos, something he could have mentioned before I made the purchase !
I then contacted SONOS support who first asked me to try out stuff like another HDMI cable and remove other HDMI connections. None of these worked of course. I had told them that I had seen information about the Patch in this community. A couple of days later I was contacted by a Tech guy form Sonos who almost immediately remotely loaded the patch onto my system. He also told me that Sonos was going to release the patch to the public very soon...Good news for those who still have  a similar problem.
I was very pleased with the support I receive from Sonos and that they actually listened to me.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. I also have had similar problems with constant sound dropouts between my Sonos Arc and Samsung Q95 series TV. Turning the power of the Sonos on & off was the only way to temporarily resolve this.
I firstly contacted my supplier who said it was a known problem and that I would have to wait for an update from Samsung or Sonos, something he could have mentioned before I made the purchase !
I then contacted SONOS support who first asked me to try out stuff like another HDMI cable and remove other HDMI connections. None of these worked of course. I had told them that I had seen information about the Patch in this community. A couple of days later I was contacted by a Tech guy form Sonos who almost immediately remotely loaded the patch onto my system. He also told me that Sonos was going to release the patch to the public very soon...Good news for those who still have  a similar problem.
I was very pleased with the support I receive from Sonos and that they actually listened to me.

Agree. Given the patch isn’t out for public release yet,I thought SONOS support handled the issue pretty well  (for me, anyway, and by the sounds of it, for you too). Fingers crossed, no repeat instances of the problem since my recent ‘glitch’, we’ll call it. 

Has anyone had the patch installed by Sonos and it didn’t fix the issue at all? That’s what has happened to me.

Has anyone had the patch installed by Sonos and it didn’t fix the issue at all? That’s what has happened to me.

That’s really disappointing to hear.  I’ve only had my Arc for about two weeks.  I jumped on the support chat as soon as I had time and I should get the patch on Tuesday.  I’ll test it hard for a few days after and if there are ANY issues, it’s going right back to Crutchfield.  I can live without it more than I can put up with bugs.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, Spider21. I would get back in contact with Customer Support about it. Just make sure the patch has been applied, though. In your SONOS 2 app, select System | System Updates | Check for Updates. The patch may have been deployed to your SONOS, but not applied.

Userlevel 1

13 days with the patch and have had no issues. Atmos shows up when it’s on. All good. Thanks sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

13 days with the patch and have had no issues. Atmos shows up when it’s on. All good. Thanks sonos. 

That’s great. Sounds promising. All’s good here, too. Fingers crossed.

Where will be the patch exactly applied? To be Sonos App or to the Arc? And build contains the patch? Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge

Where will be the patch exactly applied? To be Sonos App or to the Arc? And build contains the patch? Thanks

You kick it off from your app, but it’s applied to your SONOS Arc. 

Received the patch this morning.  Very interesting technical issues being resolved with this patch but it does appear to work.  Of course, I am using an Apple TV 4k which can handle STREAMING Atmos, but nothing else . . . but I tested playing an “atmos” file, then switching to Apple TV+ (which did report Atmos in the app), then to a Blue Ray video, then Airplay from my iPhone, then back to TV.  There was a LITTLE stuttering during the Airplay switch, but resolved immediately.  

So far this is a HUGE improvement and I expect I won’t need to reboot the Arc daily.  This “patch” does disable the Sonos screen saver component, but I think that’s a fair trade off.  Should Samsung actually fix something on their end then perhaps this will longer be needed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Received the patch this morning.  Very interesting technical issues being resolved with this patch but it does appear to work.  Of course, I am using an Apple TV 4k which can handle STREAMING Atmos, but nothing else . . . but I tested playing an “atmos” file, then switching to Apple TV+ (which did report Atmos in the app), then to a Blue Ray video, then Airplay from my iPhone, then back to TV.  There was a LITTLE stuttering during the Airplay switch, but resolved immediately.  

So far this is a HUGE improvement and I expect I won’t need to reboot the Arc daily.  This “patch” does disable the Sonos screen saver component, but I think that’s a fair trade off.  Should Samsung actually fix something on their end then perhaps this will longer be needed.

Sounds like you tested it pretty comprehensively. Likewise, agree, huge improvement. Side-question: how are you connecting both your Apple TV 4K and TV to the soundbar—HDMI switch?

Userlevel 2

Hi guys, 

I'm hoping to get the Samsung Q95t to go with my Arc set up. From the messages above, it looks like Sonos has sorted this issue out. Before I buy, I really want to be sure so any advise welcome. 

Thanks 

John 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It looks like you  have to call Sonos to get the patch, though.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi guys, 

I'm hoping to get the Samsung Q95t to go with my Arc set up. From the messages above, it looks like Sonos has sorted this issue out. Before I buy, I really want to be sure so any advise welcome. 

Thanks 

John 

So far so good. Believe SONOS have it sorted. But if you want to be really sure, maybe wait ‘til it’s released to the public. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It looks like you  have to call Sonos to get the patch, though.

Yep. As the patch hasn’t yet been released through public channels, you will need to call SONOS support to have the patch ‘pushed’ down to you via your SONOS account. You’ll then be able to apply it using your S2 app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like you tested it pretty comprehensively. Likewise, agree, huge improvement. Side-question: how are you connecting both your Apple TV 4K and TV to the soundbar—HDMI switch?

A switch wont work for HDMI-ARC. There is only one way to do this: ATV → TV via HDMI, TV->Arc via HDMI-ARC connection.

As controlav stated, to use this soundbar correctly, you can’t use a switch.  My Apple TV 4k goes directly to the first HDMI port of the OneConnect box and the Arc is plugged into HDMI 3, which is the eArc port for the OneConnect.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I’ve also had the patch installed for around 2 weeks - not one hiccup since…..

i got my arc today, connected it to frame tv and started playing a movie from my plex server...immediately started clipping, i called Sonos support like so many of you have done and told them i was familiar with the forums and the frame has an issue. I still had to send several diagnostics...and then samsung also had a firmware update today…..so they made me install the update before sending me the patch, i received the patch about an hour later and i got 20 minutes into john wick before it started clipping again. Real Sad Face right now

Userlevel 1
Badge

As controlav stated, to use this soundbar correctly, you can’t use a switch.  My Apple TV 4k goes directly to the first HDMI port of the OneConnect box and the Arc is plugged into HDMI 3, which is the eArc port for the OneConnect.

Thanks for that. I have the additional challenge—how to get my projector in there somehow so that I can throw video to either TV or projector and have audio go through the Arc.  

Quick follow-up:  it has been more than two weeks since the patch was installed by Sonos support.  Zero problems since.  Prior to the patch it was unwatchable unlistenable.

I wish Sonos would make the patch generally available.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Quick follow-up:  it has been more than two weeks since the patch was installed by Sonos support.  Zero problems since.  Prior to the patch it was unwatchable unlistenable.

I wish Sonos would make the patch generally available.

Same here. No problems since the patch was deployed. I’m sure SONOS will make it available generally. They absolutely should.

Common problems (sounds dropping every 2 seconds, or no sound at all in built in Netflix app) with Sonos Arc and pair of Sonos One SLs as surrounds and the Frame 55 2020…

I emailed Sonos’ CEO a week ago stating that I know about the patch discussed in this thread, Emily from Support replied to my email (she was absolutely helpful and understanding), we exchanged a couple of emails where she asked me to submit diagnostics etc. and finally she sent me the patch today.

So far so good! Fingers crossed the problem is solved.