Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Userlevel 3

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

icon

Best answer by Ditte 22 January 2021, 17:53

View original

668 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same thing: Q95T, Sonos ARC.

perfect sound with EARC OFF. No Sound in EARC Auto.

would be very helpful to know whom to blame, which device to return..is it Samsung or sonos..

really hope sonos is reading along here and we‘ll soon see a Software fix...

Glad someone else with the same setup is having the same problem, I've been in touch with samsung who have told me the issue lies entirely with Sonos, I'm thinking I might have to return mine if I can't find a solution soon!

Userlevel 1
Badge

The part I'm most baffled by is the fact it worked for 10 minutes or so.

Very frustrating. 

Could the TV have taken a firmware update during those ten minutes? We know that the newest LG firmware for the C9 causes problems with the Sonos Arc.

You could well be on to something there! I hadn’t thought of that but it would make sense.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same thing: Q95T, Sonos ARC.

perfect sound with EARC OFF. No Sound in EARC Auto.

would be very helpful to know whom to blame, which device to return..is it Samsung or sonos..

really hope sonos is reading along here and we‘ll soon see a Software fix...

Glad someone else with the same setup is having the same problem, I've been in touch with samsung who have told me the issue lies entirely with Sonos, I'm thinking I might have to return mine if I can't find a solution soon!

Seems to be quite a few of us with the same setup/problem. I don’t really want to return either I just want the problem fixed. Oh well I guess we shall just continue to wait a little longer. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

As I understand it eArc is needed for full uncompressed Dolby Atmos and that there isn’t a lot of content apart from the odd Blu-ray. Also eArc as I understand it, is really best suited to a full on HT set-up. TV Arc is just fine for a Soundbar where you are unlikely to discern any real difference between uncompressed ( even if you have a source of uncompressed DA that is )

So is eArc really such a big deal?

Userlevel 1
Badge

As I understand it eArc is needed for full uncompressed Dolby Atmos and that there isn’t a lot of content apart from the odd Blu-ray. Also eArc as I understand it, is really best suited to a full on HT set-up. TV Arc is just fine for a Soundbar where you are unlikely to discern any real difference between uncompressed ( even if you have a source of uncompressed DA that is )

Appreciate what you’re saying, there was certainly a very clear noticeable difference between uncompressed DA and DA 5.1 (which I’m getting now). Netflix/Prime have a lot of DA programmes now.

However the point is more that I bought both items (TV/Arc) at a great expense specifically to get full DA experience one wants it to work as it should.

(Edit - removed analogy, it was awful!)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I need eARC on my TV as Samsung only allow the audio pass through option with an eARC device, as my Sonos Arc only shows as a HDMI Receiver I can't enable audio pass through which is causing at least a one second audio delay on my Xbox One X rendering the soundbar unusable.

I have a Samsung Q90T and in order to get the eARC to be enabled I had to go into the System settings and make sure that Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) was enabled as it was originally off. Once that was enabled then I was able to endable the eARC functionality in the Sound settings.

I have been experiencing intermittent cutouts of the audio in eARC mode in both regular cable box source and my Apple TV that has Atmos enabled on the Netflix content I was watching and even Hulu old reruns. I even tried disabling eARC and it was still happening so I turned eARC back on and then I power cycled the Sonos Arc which was a pain to access the cable to pull the plug. After it rebooted the cutouts stopped happening at least for the rest of last night across both cable box and apple tv sources. Will be curious to see if that continues to be the case or if it continues to happen.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Samsung Q90T and in order to get the eARC to be enabled I had to go into the System settings and make sure that Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) was enabled as it was originally off. Once that was enabled then I was able to endable the eARC functionality in the Sound settings.

This makes me wonder if its something to do with the one connect box then? (pretty much only difference from Q90T & Q95T) My Anynet+ is/was on as default, I’ve even tried turning it off but that didn’t work for obvious reasons.

It’s all very frustrating and nobody (Samsung/Sonos) seem to be able to assist.

This makes me wonder if its something to do with the one connect box then? (pretty much only difference from Q90T & Q95T) My Anynet+ is/was on as default, I’ve even tried turning it off but that didn’t work for obvious reasons.

And just to verify you have the Arc plugged into HDMI 3 or whatever equivalent eARC port on your one connect box? And you have used the HDMI cable from Sonos or made sure whichever one you are using is compatible as some old cables I bet won’t work?

Userlevel 1
Badge

And just to verify you have the Arc plugged into HDMI 3 or whatever equivalent eARC port on your one connect box? And you have used the HDMI cable from Sonos or made sure whichever one you are using is compatible as some old cables I bet won’t work?

Have indeed, and using the supplied Sonos cable, have tried others which all caused an error.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I've got the 95T with the one connect box, it looks as though my Anynet was also On as default and still no luck, I even tried doing the usual 'on and off again' on the anynet but I'm still unable to enable eARC mode :(

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sounding more than ever like a problem with one connect box as the Frame also uses one connect.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

I might purchase a Q90T just to see if it works for me, still in return period for Q95T and not overly fussed by lack of one connect.

Received the arc today bought a Q95t for the arc and earc last week. I got the same problem no sound only when turning earc off I also wonder who’s fault this is. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Think about gettin the q90t and return the q95t...unbelievable that we have to deal with these problems...

Userlevel 1
Badge

alright, just ordered the q90t, q95t will be returned...will let you know if that led to a solution

Userlevel 1
Badge

alright, just ordered the q90t, q95t will be returned...will let you know if that led to a solution

I was planning on doing this today, maybe I will hold on a few days until you’ve reported back :) 

thanks man. In that case it would be an issue with the one connect box. 

I also own the q95t and this is a big letdown after a lot of comparisons and trying to go future proof with earc. Also with this tv i can only select Auto or PCM, ill leave it on auto for now but nowhere to be seen if im using dolby digital +, only thing i see is dolby digital 5.1. In netflix i see atmos content thought but i rly wonder if it works because so far i havent rly heard things flying above my head. And in the store with the same tv and soundbar it was outstanding. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also own the q95t and this is a big letdown after a lot of comparisons and trying to go future proof with earc. Also with this tv i can only select Auto or PCM, ill leave it on auto for now but nowhere to be seen if im using dolby digital +, only thing i see is dolby digital 5.1. In netflix i see atmos content thought but i rly wonder if it works because so far i havent rly heard things flying above my head. And in the store with the same tv and soundbar it was outstanding. 

These are the settings I have to use to get any sound through the Arc, if I play a Netflix DA it shows in my Sonos app as ‘Dolby Atmos (DD+)’

If I’m viewing Sky Q content I have options PCM/Auto/Pass Through

If Netflix content I only have Auto/PCM

These are the settings I have to use to get any sound through the Arc, if I play a Netflix DA it shows in my Sonos app as ‘Dolby Atmos (DD+)’

If I’m viewing Sky Q content I have options PCM/Auto/Pass Through

If Netflix content I only have Auto/PCM

Thanks, so yes we've basically got the same. Both only can choose PCM and auto. My sonos app also shows atmos on atmos content. The thing is i saw nowhere in the tv that i was using dolby digital +. I tend to test the atmos from the arc and tried downloading some atmos files from the dolby and digitaltrend site. Both atmos by true hd content and digital + but when i try to play this from usb a voice tells me however the file is supposed to be atmos my device cant play the atmos sound / content. Do u perhaps have an idea how to test this are there other files am i doing something wrong. I find it hard to test it in netflix. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, so yes we've basically got the same. Both only can choose PCM and auto. My sonos app also shows atmos on atmos content. The thing is i saw nowhere in the tv that i was using dolby digital +. I tend to test the atmos from the arc and tried downloading some atmos files from the dolby and digitaltrend site. Both atmos by true hd content and digital + but when i try to play this from usb a voice tells me however the file is supposed to be atmos my device cant play the atmos sound / content. Do u perhaps have an idea how to test this are there other files am i doing something wrong. I find it hard to test it in netflix. 

I’ve not tried any other content other than Netflix I'm afraid so can’t really help you on that, Netflix shows that have DA show that on the programme details - some examples are Okja, Rome those are the two I’ve tried and as I say these show up in Sonos app as Dolby Atmos (DD+)

Sorry if you already know the above and that I can’t help you with the other questions.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Q90t will be delivered next Tuesday… will report back when I have news...

Samsung and Sonos really need to step in and solve this.  I’m ready to pull the trigger on a 65” or 75” Samsung Frame (2020) and Sonos ARC to use with an Apple TV 4K and Panasonic 4K Blu-Ray Player, which will require eARC to work with uncompressed Atmos!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve now started a return on the Q95T and ordered a Q90T which will hopefully solve the issue.

Replacement arrives Wednesday.

Out of curiosity, where are you returning the Q95T from and getting the Q90T from? Trying to figure out which retailers will be most helpful for this.

Having a similar issue with Samsung Frame (2020) - while using an appropriate HDMI cable.

Get Atmos on native apps and from ATV (with some lip sync issues)  … until I turn on eARC and it all mutes.

I know both Samsung and Sonos are aware of this issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Out of curiosity, where are you returning the Q95T from and getting the Q90T from? Trying to figure out which retailers will be most helpful for this.

Having a similar issue with Samsung Frame (2020) - while using an appropriate HDMI cable.

Get Atmos on native apps and from ATV (with some lip sync issues)  … until I turn on eARC and it all mutes.

I know both Samsung and Sonos are aware of this issue.

Sounds the same as everyone here I’m afraid, I still think it’s down to the one connect on these TV’s, I’ve got bored of waiting for Samsung/Sonos - I’m very inpatient.

Purchased both mine through Samsung directly (online) They have 28 days no quibble return. Although I’m yet to hear from them about returning the Q95T but only submitted request last Friday)