Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post

668 replies

I’d suggest talking with Samsung. I believe they made a change to the CEC implementation on the TV set, which is no longer sending a standard CEC ARC signal. 

Badge

I have a Sonos Beam Gen 2 + TV Samsung q70t, and when I play Atmos sound, I experience audio cuts every 15 minutes, which is annoying. I've tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Is there a patch for this?

Hi All - I purchased my first Sonos product - Beam - and attempted to connect it to my Samsung 50” Frame (2020) yesterday with no success. I found this thread today and spent enough time going through it to, I think, decipher that unless I want to spend time that I do not currently have devoted to the Samsung/Sonos apparent saga, I should just return the Sonos Beam to Costco while I still can. 

Before I do, I was just hoping someone might read this post and confirm for me that the problem with my Sonos/Samsung still exists and its not my technological ineptitude :). Seems like they’re getting closer to patching/fixing the issue, but not there yet. Correct?  THANK YOU for any response! 

Badge

I thought I had the sound issue sorted although not sure I was receiving Dolby Atmos as well. I was just pleased that the Sonos Ark was working with my Samsung TV and Sky. Went fine for a few days but since Sunday evening the sound goes on and off every few seconds. I initially just unplugged the hdmi lead from the Samsung connector box e-arc which restored good sound but last night (Tuesday) I had to electrically unplug the Ark and plug back in before it resolved the sound issue. 

Totally unacceptable for a supposedly high-end TV and sound bar setup.  Each morning when I turn on the TV, the sound cuts in and out incessantly, until you go into the Expert Sound Settings menu and toggle eArc and Atmos Capability on and off a few times.  My advice is to avoid the Sonos Arc and Samsung Frame TVs at all cost.  Now I need to figure out how to return them or file a warranty claim to receive a refund.

alright, just ordered the q90t, q95t will be returned...will let you know if that led to a solution

thanks man. In that case it would be an issue with the one connect box. 

I also own the q95t and this is a big letdown after a lot of comparisons and trying to go future proof with earc. Also with this tv i can only select Auto or PCM, ill leave it on auto for now but nowhere to be seen if im using dolby digital +, only thing i see is dolby digital 5.1. In netflix i see atmos content thought but i rly wonder if it works because so far i havent rly heard things flying above my head. And in the store with the same tv and soundbar it was outstanding. 

These are the settings I have to use to get any sound through the Arc, if I play a Netflix DA it shows in my Sonos app as ‘Dolby Atmos (DD+)’

If I’m viewing Sky Q content I have options PCM/Auto/Pass Through

If Netflix content I only have Auto/PCM

Thanks, so yes we've basically got the same. Both only can choose PCM and auto. My sonos app also shows atmos on atmos content. The thing is i saw nowhere in the tv that i was using dolby digital +. I tend to test the atmos from the arc and tried downloading some atmos files from the dolby and digitaltrend site. Both atmos by true hd content and digital + but when i try to play this from usb a voice tells me however the file is supposed to be atmos my device cant play the atmos sound / content. Do u perhaps have an idea how to test this are there other files am i doing something wrong. I find it hard to test it in netflix. 

Badge

Throwing my hat in… Do we have a resolution for this issue? I have a new (2020) Samsung 55” Frame TV and the new Sonos Arc. However, I can not get them to work together. On their specs sheets its seems like they should work very easily together but that is not the case. Can anyone help?

If you can, I would return either the Samsung TV or the Sonos Arc.  They don’t work well together and neither company seems to be taking the lead in fixing the problems.  Sure, maybe they will eventually fix the problems, but it’s not worth the frustration!

Userlevel 1

Also very happy to help. Though this really should be pretty easy to reproduce with two items of hardware, given how widespread the issue seems to be. Never been more disappointed with such an expensive purchase and product combo. This still happens frequently in our household and it’s deeply frustrating...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi all, yet another note from the dev team:

We have been working on the ongoing audio problem between the Sonos Arc and several 2020 Samsung TV models. These models support the new eARC connectivity. Samsung TVs prior to and from 2019 do not support eARC and are not seeing this particular problem. Customers will randomly experience a complete loss of audio which requires either the rebooting of the Sonos Arc and/or the rebooting of the Samsung TV. 

If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.

Best,

Ditte

Reading this, the thread you are posting your message in is about 2020 Samsung The Frame model, so this should not be the problem you report. 

I just purchased a Frame 55 inch and won’t be buying an Arc until this is resolved. This issue along with the debacle over support for ageing Sonos products is making me veer away from Sonos products fast. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I thought I had the sound issue sorted although not sure I was receiving Dolby Atmos as well. I was just pleased that the Sonos Ark was working with my Samsung TV and Sky. Went fine for a few days but since Sunday evening the sound goes on and off every few seconds. I initially just unplugged the hdmi lead from the Samsung connector box e-arc which restored good sound but last night (Tuesday) I had to electrically unplug the Ark and plug back in before it resolved the sound issue. 

Thanks James. I’ll give customer support a try first. Hoping its just me! 

Sound Cutting out even worse after update to 1402. eARC works but sound cut out/lag now occurs every time i start the TV. Really (desperatly) hoping for a fix

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m in the UK. I have the Samsung QE75Q95TATXXU TV (not the FRAME though but thought my experience might be os some use. I posted this on the similar thread in relation to the same problems with Sonos Ark + Samsung Q90T Tv’s)) I’m using the TV with the Sonos Ark and  Sky Q streaming service. From the beginning with the Ark I have had sound problems. Lip sync was out when watching Sky (and couldn’t be adjusted the right way through the TV) or cutting out. I went through the loop of support phone calls to Sky, Samsung & Sonos, none of whom resolved the problems and blamed the others. I went down using the optical sound cable route which was fine but no Dolby Atmos of course. I’ve gone back to hdmi lead into the e-arc port on the TV. I’ve still had intermittent problems with no sound when I switch the TV on which i initially resolved by unplugging the Ark hdmi lead but that didn’t always work. I’ve now unplugged the TV and Ark from their electric sockets and having reconnected, it now seems to work albeit no trace of Dolby Atmos. I have just watched the Youtube video suggested by Krishna M Sonos staff and adjusted the sound settings on the Tv as suggested and Voila! I am getting Dolby Atmos DD+ on a Netflix programme with Dolby Atmos (Virgin River). I’m just hoping that this also resolves all the sound problems. I’ve been holding off buying the Sonos Sub, here’s hoping the sound issue is now resolved and there is a Black Friday deal for the Sub on offer.

im over sonos and there bull****, i have tried numerous times for the patch and no one seems to understand what the patch is and what is needed for it 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

I have a Samsung Q90T and in order to get the eARC to be enabled I had to go into the System settings and make sure that Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) was enabled as it was originally off. Once that was enabled then I was able to endable the eARC functionality in the Sound settings.

I have been experiencing intermittent cutouts of the audio in eARC mode in both regular cable box source and my Apple TV that has Atmos enabled on the Netflix content I was watching and even Hulu old reruns. I even tried disabling eARC and it was still happening so I turned eARC back on and then I power cycled the Sonos Arc which was a pain to access the cable to pull the plug. After it rebooted the cutouts stopped happening at least for the rest of last night across both cable box and apple tv sources. Will be curious to see if that continues to be the case or if it continues to happen.

Badge +3

Throwing my hat in… Do we have a resolution for this issue? I have a new (2020) Samsung 55” Frame TV and the new Sonos Arc. However, I can not get them to work together. On their specs sheets its seems like they should work very easily together but that is not the case. Can anyone help?

If you can, I would return either the Samsung TV or the Sonos Arc.  They don’t work well together and neither company seems to be taking the lead in fixing the problems.  Sure, maybe they will eventually fix the problems, but it’s not worth the frustration!

I’d really like to hear from an official Sonos rep about this and to be assured that this isn’t a forgotten/ignored issue… I want to hear about action being taken.

Badge +3

Hi all,

A quick note from our dev team:

We are aware and monitoring an issue when connecting Sonos Arc to late model Samsung TVs via eARC. We are working closely with Samsung to resolve this and will share more as available.

All the best,

Ditte

@Ditte 

Can you provide an update on if this issue between Samsung Frame’s One Connect and Sonos Arc has been resolved? Is eARC working and Atmos working? What was the resolution/fix?

THANKS!

I would like to know whether eARC worked with any other sound device attached to the 2020 Frame first (or vice versa: Can someone point to a successful Sonos Arc eARC connection with another TV make/model?). This might help determine if it is a Sonos issue, or a Frame issue. In some respects I am not surprised, both are pretty new pieces of hardware with firmware updates coming regularly. The Sonos ARC being the most recent and likely shipping with MVP firmware.

Badge +3

Installed the new updates to both Samsung Frame firmware 1403 and Sonos 12.2 yesterday and so far 24 hours and eArc is working .  Prior I was lucky to make it more than a few hours .

Samsung Frame 75 + Sonos Arc 

Same here, Frame 55 2020 and Sonos Arc. Day 3 now and no issues 

@adam.hiron 

So eARC is working with Atmos for you?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. I also have had similar problems with constant sound dropouts between my Sonos Arc and Samsung Q95 series TV. Turning the power of the Sonos on & off was the only way to temporarily resolve this.
I firstly contacted my supplier who said it was a known problem and that I would have to wait for an update from Samsung or Sonos, something he could have mentioned before I made the purchase !
I then contacted SONOS support who first asked me to try out stuff like another HDMI cable and remove other HDMI connections. None of these worked of course. I had told them that I had seen information about the Patch in this community. A couple of days later I was contacted by a Tech guy form Sonos who almost immediately remotely loaded the patch onto my system. He also told me that Sonos was going to release the patch to the public very soon...Good news for those who still have  a similar problem.
I was very pleased with the support I receive from Sonos and that they actually listened to me.

Agree. Given the patch isn’t out for public release yet,I thought SONOS support handled the issue pretty well  (for me, anyway, and by the sounds of it, for you too). Fingers crossed, no repeat instances of the problem since my recent ‘glitch’, we’ll call it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Q90t arrived. EARC possible now without any problems, Arc is shown as HDMI EARC Receiver. Interestingly the sonos app now shows Input: Dolby Atmos instead of DD+ (Dolby Atmos), when watching a show on Netflix in Atmos.

so i think it’s really a one connect box issue.

i have the tv on its stand anyway, don’t care about the one visible connection, the arc in front hides all cables..so just saved 200€ and now have the full capability...

Excellent news - My Q90T arrives today! I’m not fussed about cables either as mine will be on a stand.

Still not heard from returns people about collecting Q95T though.

I have the patch installed but still not working. 🤬 (The Frame 2019)

Thanks for this! I’ve just tried downloading the update for my TV (Frame 55” 2020), but the TV isn’t recognizing the update. Now I’m trying to solve that problem. Haha

Quick update. I got the firmware update installed on the Samsung. Problem was my USB stick was formatted for MacOS. I reformatted it to Fat32 and was able to use the update.

I’m now able to enable eARC mode on the Samsung Frame 55. 

Badge

Common problems (sounds dropping every 2 seconds, or no sound at all in built in Netflix app) with Sonos Arc and pair of Sonos One SLs as surrounds and the Frame 55 2020…

I emailed Sonos’ CEO a week ago stating that I know about the patch discussed in this thread, Emily from Support replied to my email (she was absolutely helpful and understanding), we exchanged a couple of emails where she asked me to submit diagnostics etc. and finally she sent me the patch today.

So far so good! Fingers crossed the problem is solved.

I think you’ll be fine. Believe they’ve resolved the issue with this patch. 

I did the same and a teck named Jason contacted me but did not send a patch. What can you tell me about the patch?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Atmos can be uncompressed, which need eARC, and compressed, within a DD+ container - no eARC needed. You probably heard the latter. For uncompressed Atmos you’d probably also need a Blu-ray player - most streaming is on DD+ Atmos.