Answered

Sonos Arc Port (Ethernet, HDMI, Optical) Usage Impacts

• 24 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Does plugging into Ethernet degrade audio performance of ATMOS or other content in any way or can it only help with bandwidth for streamed audio content?

My understanding is... as long as optical adapters to port audio into the arc are not used, and the eARC from the tv is used via a quality HDMI cable, it will have the bandwidth to carry the Atmos content from the tv to the arc. (Obviously the quality into the tv also matters.) Basically don't try to use optical period.

If I have hard wired ethernet, plugging ethernet is better than wifi. I have hard-wired ethernet to the Arc, and I use the hdmi over eArc from the tv to the Arc. I was hoping someone can confirm this is optimal?

Also, for sonos sub, and/or one sl's ....plug the ethernet directly in or let the built-in wifi from the Arc push this to those speakers? Which is more efficient/better/etc.? Wondering if there are tradeoffs to consider.

I appreciate any insight any Sonos engineers might be able to provide. 

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 24 May 2022, 23:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Optical doesn’t support Dolby Atmos, so don’t connect the Arc to the TV via optical. Stick with HDMI. And the HDMI cable that comes with the Arc is sufficient. You don’t need to spend more money on a more expensive HDMI cable.

Wiring the Arc to your router with an ethernet cable might give you a little more network stability, but it is not necessary. Your Arc setup can work just fine on a completely wireless setup.

Keep the Sub and One SLs wireless. They are designed to communicate with the Arc wirelessly using the 5 GHz signal the Arc is sending.