Answered

Sonos Arc Placement

Thinking of purchasing an Arc. My entertainment center soundbar shelf is 4” high and 58” across. Considering the Arc dimensions, side, and upward firing speakers will the sound be adversely affected?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 7 August 2020, 07:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @dchow288, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up. Regarding your concern about the Sonos Arc placements. Arc has two up-firing speakers within it that sound best when positioned either on a tabletop, or wall-mounted below a TV. Also, Arc requires a minimum of 5.5 inches on the front and sides of it, with at least 2 inches between the backside of Arc and the TV when in a tabletop orientation. If wall-mounting, it is recommended to have a clearance of at least 5.5 inches between the TV and Arc. but let’s also wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community users for the setup that they may suggest or they have. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi Simon, thank you for your reply. Based on your response, I believe I will be ok with the side firing speakers. However I will only have a 1/2” clearance between the top of the Arc (3.4”H) and the top of the soundbar shelf (4”H) (see picture). Will that wholly distort the sound from the up firing speakers? As you can see, the soundbar shelf is fixed.

Userlevel 7

Hi @dchow288 

The Arc requires openness to expand it’s acoustic chops. View the two (2) videos in the link to get a better understanding of the placement required to really enjoy the Arc acoustics

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/arc.html

Cheers!

Thank you for your response AJ.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @dchow288 , thanks for the update. I agree with @AjTrek1, that the Sonos Arc requires a much wider space to maximize the use of it. 

Hi Simon, so because of the confined space, you are recommending that I stay with the Beam? That the placement of the Arc in my setup will deteriorate the sound effects?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @dchow288, thanks for the update. In that case. that would be the recommended set up for the Sonos Arc. But we can wait for suggestions or feedback to our Sonos community users who may have the same setup in mind or those who currently have this kind of setup. Let’s wait for their suggestions and feedback.

Thank you Simon, I appreciate your responses.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @dchow288, thanks for the update. You’re Welcome. If there's any other issue you're having in the future, feel free to reach out.  

You're always welcome here.

Hi @Simon B : I can’t locate the “Positioning Guide” that was supposed to come with my official Arc mount. Do you have a PDF of this guide/template anywhere? Or any other tips I can use for ideal placement of the bracket? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @StrayTexel, thanks for reaching out. Regarding your concern, I can give you a link for the Sonos User guide for Wall Mount. What I can suggest for the set up would be:

• Place it on a credenza (If possible)
  • Place it horizontally on a stable and level surface.
  • Keep 4.0" (102 mm) space (minimum) between the top of Sonos Arc and the bottom of your TV (if placing Arc below the TV).
  • Don’t place vertically or on its side.
  • Make sure the touch controls are facing up.

Keep 4.0" (102 mm) space (minimum) between the top of Sonos Arc and the bottom of your TV (if placing Arc below the TV).

@Simon B  I’ll be wall-mounting… can you please elaborate on the *why* of the 4 inches between the TV and Arc when wall mounted? Is this simply to satisfy the up-firing tweeters? If so, what if your TV is only 2 cm thick off of the wall (like an LG GX)? Can the Arc be mounted closer to the TV in this situation? If so, how close?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @StrayTexel, thanks for the update. Regarding your concern, As long as the arc with physically be in front of the TV and the upward-firing speakers will not interfere that's fine. The Tv can be mounted closer to the TV as long as it’snot too close that may already affect the sound quality of the Sonos Arc. 

I have a similar question. I’m placing my Arc on a fireplace mantle, the TV mounted on the wall above it. Because the TV is already mounted higher than I’d prefer, I’m hoping I don’t need the full 4” clearance otherwise the TV will just be uncomfortably high. My mantle ledge is deep enough I can move the Arc to the front of the fireplace mantle and I think it will clear the front of the TV. So my question is, how far in front of the TV does the back of the Arc need to be before the vertical clearance recommendation of 4” no longer matters? For example, if the back of the Arc just barely clears the front edge of the TV by being placed at the front of my mantle, and the TV flush mounted on the wall behind it, am I good to ignore the 4” vertical separation requirement?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @fifthsola, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. About your concern on the Sonos Arc placement. You can try the example that you gave for your proposed setup. Sonos recommendation is 4.0" (102 mm) space (minimum) between the top of Sonos Arc and the bottom of your TV (if placing Arc below the TV). but try the example setup in mind. Let me know how it goes. And we can wait for recommendations and suggestions or feedback from other Sonos community users about the preferred setup or their current setup that may help you. 

Keep me in the know with the advice above. 

Hi Guys, following on with the above discussions - I was wondering as the side drivers are woofers they should be non-directional sounds so should the distance to a side wall come into effect? I have pre-ordered a Sonos Arc and a Gen 3 Sub, should I be worried about the side clearance for woofers or will these 2 speakers less worked due to the Gen 3 Sub or am I not thinking this through correctly?

I am getting a TV wall unit built and the soundbar will sit between 2 large cabinets on top of 3 smaller cabinets with a gap of 15.5cm on either side of the woofer drivers. I can change the design to make the end cabinets the same height as the middle ones which will then give the Arc approx. 80cm on the left and a lot more on the right side but I was looking for extra storage space to keep junk hidden away.

So will the Gen 3 Sub compensate for the side woofer drivers?

Many Thanks...

Hi guys,

I’m in the same situation as RomLFC except I have a bit more space either side 30cm.  Does anyone have any info on the limitations of the side drivers?

Cheers...