Question

Sonos Arc, No sound until reboot

• Contributor II
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have a new Sonos Arc that will not play any sound from my Apple TV unless I restart the Apple TV. 

Also with my XBox One I can only get sound to the Arc if I turn off my TV and turn it back on. 

I notice that when I finally see the light flash green on the Arc then the sound (and remote) works again. 

Never had these issues with the Playbar. 

TV: Sony XBR-75X900E

Setup: Device → HDMI in on TV → HDMI ARC out to Sonos Arc

Suggestions to fix? Rebooting devices and TV to make the sound work is really annoying. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kyy.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post outlining your concern.

I would be more than glad to assist you and get this figured out.

May I ask the current status of the LED light on the Sonos Arc? Is it still flashing green?

If yes, then it means that the unit is still on the setup mode, you can check it also on this article to know more about Sonos LED Lights.

This article will help you get started with setting up your Sonos Arc.

If that doesn’t help, please submit a diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

The light is not flashing green.

My note there was that I notice that the light flashes green one time and that seems to indicate when it’s working again. Just a single flash and it happens after I restart my Apple TV or my Sony TV.

My diagnostic report code is 999085382

Thanks for helping with this

Badge

It’s happening with my system as well, until reboot the sound doesn’t come through the sound bar 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kyy.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking on the diagnostic result, there’s a large sync error detected by the system.

Commonly these issues come as a result of wireless interference, this article will help on how to reduce the interferences around Sonos products.

You may also try to clear any communication errors by following these steps:

• Unplug from power all of your Sonos devices.
  • Reboot your router.
  • Once the router has come back up, plug back in the Sonos devices, and give it a minute to load properly.
  • Then try a test.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number so I can check if there are any changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @upipp2.

Thanks for reaching out. 

Sorry to hear about the trouble, let me help and get this figured out.

Kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

@Annazel S this is diagnostic number 

Badge

The new diagnostic test number is 985564221

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @upipp2.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in submitting the diagnostics.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, your iOS controller is connected to another access point/router, different from where Sonos was set up.

To give you a heads up, if your phone is connected to the other Wifi, you will not see your Sonos system. 

• Kindly verify if you are able to play music from the Sonos app? Is the issue happening only on TV playback?
  • I suggest checking for firmware updates on both the TV and the Sonos app. Install any available updates.
  • What is the audio format in use on the TV settings?
  • Are there any devices connected to the TV as a source of audio like Blu-ray, Apple TV box, cable box, etc.?
  • Is it happening on streaming apps on the TV, like Netflix? 
  • Kindly try different audio sources from TV and see if it’s the same?
  • Try to adjust the audio format within the TV’s Sound or Audio menu. Typically, these settings are located under Digital Audio Format or Audio Output. This setting needs to be changed to one of the audio formats supported by Sonos.

If the issue persists after going through the above suggestions, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

Hello @Annazel S 

I am able to play music from the phone, the other wifi is just an extender to the same wifi network.

There are no updates on either sonos or my TV, but the problem still persists

The sound from TV without ARC output is fine.

The moment I go to menu > Sound and HDMI ARC output it takes forever trying to connect and it switches back to TV Audio.

Now I have a problem setting up the true play as well 843735696

Badge

If this helps 434293893

Badge

@Annazel S what do you suggest I do.

Do I return the product or are there any troubleshooting steps I can follow?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @upipp2.

Thanks for your response.

I reviewed these diagnostic reports but there are no registered players detected by the system.

This condition can be due to the controller and Sonos is not connected on the same network, or commonly it can come as a result of wireless interference.

Are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

Alternatively, it might be best to reach out to Sonos Support so they can take a closer look at this in real-time.

I suggest contacting phone support for they have more resources available for advanced troubleshooting like sharing your controller screen with the technician is one of their useful tools.

The toll-free contact number is 1-800-680-2345

Their hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

@Annazel S 

Sorry to bother, I am having the same issue.

My new Sonos Arc will stop playing sounds once in a while. The only way to fix it is to restart my Sony 950G TV. Unplugging the Sonos Arc power does not fix it. Can you please take a look at my diagnostic? My diagnostic number is 1698920879.

thank you!

​​​

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @joshni21.

Thanks for reaching out and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic, I’d be glad to help.

I reviewed the diagnostic report and there’s no issue detected on your system.

Is it also happening during music playback? 

You may try to check this article that provides common fixes for TV audio interruptions while using Sonos home theater speakers.

Hopefully, that solves it but if not, please submit a new diagnostic report, so I can see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Badge

@Annazel S 

My Sonos Arc stops playing sounds from my TV randomly. I can use it to play music via the Sonos app. But, there's no sound when I'm watching YouTube, Netflix and or other streaming services.

The only way to fix it, is to restart my Sony X950G. Once the TV resets, the Sonos will play sound from my TV again. However, this fix only last for a few days/hours. Then , the next time I turn on my TV, the sound will not play again. 

Here's my new diagnostic number 421701087. My Sonos Arc just stopped playing sounds again. My last reset was yesterday.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @joshni21.

Thanks for your response.

I reviewed the diagnostic report and got the same result, I just noticed that the audio format is on PCM.

If the above advice for common fixes for TV audio interruptions was followed, it might be best to reach out to Sonos Support so they can take a closer look at this in real-time.

I suggest contacting phone support for they have more resources available for advanced troubleshooting.

The toll-free contact number is 1-800-680-2345

Their hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

I’ve been having the same issues with my Sony 850H. Is this by chance an issue with Sony?  It makes no sense. I have had the Sonos Arc since July and all of a sudden in the last week or two many of my streaming apps now have no sound. I have to turn the TV on and off multiple times to get any sound to play and as of today, that trick no longer works. I messaged customer support and they told me to call the applications developers. That is ridiculous!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve been having the same issues with my Sony 850H. Is this by chance an issue with Sony?  It makes no sense. I have had the Sonos Arc since July and all of a sudden in the last week or two many of my streaming apps now have no sound. I have to turn the TV on and off multiple times to get any sound to play and as of today, that trick no longer works. I messaged customer support and they told me to call the applications developers. That is ridiculous!

I have to say Sonos support really seems to have gone downhill, reports of substandard responses like that are becoming depressingly familiar in this forum.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi everyone. Thank you for your patience in this. We appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us here in the community.

If the above advice was followed and you are still running into trouble, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so you continue working with us in real-time.

I’d still suggest contacting phone support for they have more resources and tools available on their system for advanced troubleshooting.

When you have a moment during the week, please give our support number (attached to the above link) a call.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.