Question

Sonos Arc for Sony KD-65X9000E TV with ARC HDMI

• 26 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am looking at replacing my Sonos Playbar with a Sonos Arc. I will keep my 2 x Sonos Ones and Sub (Gen 2). However, reading a number of issues around Atmos play through and lip sync issues. 

Poor lip sync can drive me crazy (the family less so...).

My current TV as HDMI ARC (Sony Bravia KD-65X9000E) but not eARC - see specs https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-65x9000e/specifications

Anyone have a similar arrangement and can confirm this arrangement will work well as don’t want to fork out a bunch of cash for marginal improvement.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I have a Sony 850E. Arc connected to HDMI 3. No lip sync issues. In the sound settings of the TV, there is an “AV Sync” option. It is set to “on”, which ensures lip sync. 

Notes:

1. Sometimes, lip sync is lost. In this case, I have to turn AV sync off and then on, which fixes lip sync.
  2. Most built in apps do not support Atmos. The only one that does is Plex.
  3. You have to turn on “simple IP control” (or disable wifi) due to a bug with Sony TVs’ implementation of deep sleep. (If you do not, the TV will reboot every few days, which is annoying).
  4. Connecting the Arc via HDMI is great. It turns on and off with the TV, and the TV’s volume control control the Arc. 
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have the Sony X930E and have HDMI ARC. Netflix and Disney plus only does DD+, no Atmos. Prime Video gives Atmos over DD+. Connected Apple TV 4K only does Dolby Digital. There are two options to get atmos without upgrading the TV. One is to get Nvidia Shield as app on its support Atmos over DD+ or get HDFury Arcana to get a wider Atmos Content support. I went with the latter and pre-ordered HD Fury Arcana as I like to keep my main source to ATV 4K.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Sony 75x850f and I get Atmos through the TVs Netflix app but that is all. I have tried a Apple TV 4K with no luck and I have a Nvidia Shield tv (the latest model) and I get Atmos on all the apps that support it.