Sonos Arc crackle / Rattle in Dolby Atmos

• 20 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone, 

I recently purchased a Sonos Arc to accompany my Philips PUS8204/12. I have noticed a rattling / crackle at certain times watching blu ray movies. I have a case open with Sonos and senior sound engineers are checking the issue. It seems very similar to the issue found in the Bose forum https://community.bose.com/t5/Home-Theater/Bose-Soundbar-500-rattle-crackle-with-Dolby-Digital-Source/td-p/207427/page/6

I first noticed the crackle listening to blu ray (Hans Zimmer live in Prague - inception time). This was very audible and my family and I looked at eachother worryingly all noticing the strange noise. The same issue occurred watching the Conjuring 2 even at low volumes. Both were receiving Dolby atmos signal as shown in the app. Things I have tried below;

• changed Xbox one to Panasonic blu ray player issue persisted 
  • changed HDMI cables issue persisted
  • downloaded the same movie (conjuring on rakuten - no crackle but not sure of the audio output)
  • changed the TV audio output from multichannel (bypass) to stereo - resolved the crackle but not a solution since I have not bought a £799 sound bar to listen to stereo quality.
  • changed output to Dolby digital instead of atmos crackle persists 
  • no crackle audible on music even at high volume from streaming service Spotify 
  • no audible crackle playing TV channels 
  • reset all devices crackle persists
  • reset EQ on Sonos advice crackle persists 

I have also sent logs of the crackle to Sonos to no avail as of yet - the issue has been passed to senior sound engineers. I am wondering if anyone that is tech savvy has any more suggestions to get to the root of the problem or if anyone is experiencing the same issue. It is quite disheartening to save for so long to run into issues like this. Hopefully it can be resolved. My suspicion is either the processing of the atmos signal in the TV or sound bar but I am not sure.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Was there ever a resolution to this? I’m watching a TrueHD Atmos soundtrack on my Sonos Arc for the first time and the crackle is really annoying. 

LG CX OLED

Sonos Arc (wired Ethernet)

Sonos Connect:Amp rear (wired Ethernet)

Sonos Sub Gen 2 (wireless)

Xbox Series X Blu-Ray Player

FWIW, I’ve never experienced this with the Sonos Arc since owning it, but I’ve only ever had the LG CX sending DD+ Atmos via eARC from my Apple TV. 

-Sean

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @rickispotify.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is not a normal Sonos behavior. Allow me to share with you my provided recommendation above.

Hi @Briqht.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I would also like to thank you for trying to isolate the issue since not only were you able to provide a very detailed description of replicating the issue, you were also able to provide some key points to better understand what works and what does not.

From this point, I would recommend calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps to better understand how to get this fixed as this is no longer a normal behavior of a Sonos device. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, we are always here to help.

Thanks,

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. We are all here to learn and help each other out.

Thanks,

Same problem here…. Very loud “metal/robot” noises… sporadically

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Briqht.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I would also like to thank you for trying to isolate the issue since not only were you able to provide a very detailed description of replicating the issue, you were also able to provide some key points to better understand what works and what does not.

From this point, I would recommend calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps to better understand how to get this fixed as this is no longer a normal behavior of a Sonos device. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, we are always here to help.

Thanks,