Answered

Sonos ARC connection to LG 55LW6500 HDMI ARC port

I am trying to replace a Sonos Playbar with (optical connection) with a new Sonos ARC that requires an HDMI ARC connection.  My TV is a 2012 vintage LG 55LW6500 that says it has 4 HDMI In 1.4 ports, with HDMI 1 having ARC (but not eARC.)  I know the TV will not pass through Atmos.  That is not the issue.  I cannot set up the ARC.  It connects to my Sonos system and is recognized.  I’ve connected it to the HDMI 1 port on the TV, and in the TV sound setting it says the ARC sound option is ON.  But the Sonos ARC is not finding the TV HDMI ARC conncetion.  All cables are secure.  I’ve had tor revert to my Playbar for the time being.  Ideas?  I do plan to replace the TV with a newer model, just not yet.  

icon

Best answer by controlav 8 August 2020, 23:58

I have the exact same LG TV, but use a Playbar. In order for that to give DD 5.1 I had to buy a special remote, get to the service menu for the TV, and enable it there. Before this the TV would only deliver Stereo.

Given how hard it was for me to get a decent signal from optical, I am hardly surprised that the HDMI-ARC support on it is weak. (I assume you have enabled SimpLink on the thing?).

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @wamaruna, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to take a look at a diagnostic. Please reconnect the Arc to the TV on HMDI 1(ARC).

Set the TV output to ARC and take a diagnostic in the Sonos app. Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and reply with the confirmation.

We should be able to see what signal the Arc is getting from the TV.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Thanks, Kyle.  I will do that at my first opportunity, but it may be a couple of days.  My window of opportunity to make the switch has closed for right now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @wamaruna, thank you for notifying us.

No worries, we’ll keep this thread open and I’ll keep an eye out for your update. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi Kyle A.  I ran the diagnostic this morning.  Assigned to 659959938.

I tried using the ARC with my music from my computer wirelessly and that worked, so I know that part of the ARC is functional. Still not getting sound from the LG TV.  TV sound is turned off and ARC is turned on.  ARC cable is plugged into HDMI 1 which is supposed to be the HDMI ARC connection. Sound level on the TV is turned up.

Wayne Maruna 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @wamaruna, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

I checked the diagnostic, Sonos Arc has an eARC passthrough connection. 

Please try other audio formats on the TV like PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD.

If you still don’t have sound, I would recommend calling our Phone support.

1 800 680 2345 Mondays to Fridays from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

They’ll have more options to look deeper into the system and they can also escalate the issue further if need be.

Update us with your findings.

The Sonos ARC manual suggests that the Sonos ARC works with TVs that have ARC OR eARC ports.  Since my LG has an HDMI ARC port, I would think it should work. I know the eARC port is required for Dolby Atmos.

I’ll try and contact phone support during the week, though I’ve read that wait times are horribly long.  In the meantime, I will try using the optical adapter, since I am successfully using an optical cable with my Playbar. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

HI @wamaruna, thank you for the update.

Yes, eARC is required for Dolby Atmos. You should be able to get PCM, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Digital Plus with the ARC connection at least.

I see that an Optical connection is more stable for your Sonos Arc; you can continue using it until a Phone agent can assess the Sonos Arc.

I have been seeing problems with Sonos Arc with the HDMI - ARC connection. I suspect a bad batch during production or a communication issue with the TV.

However, we won’t know if yours is until an Agent can assess the speaker.

With an optical adaptor connection, you should be able to get PCM or Dolby Digital.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. The community is here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I have the exact same LG TV, but use a Playbar. In order for that to give DD 5.1 I had to buy a special remote, get to the service menu for the TV, and enable it there. Before this the TV would only deliver Stereo.

Given how hard it was for me to get a decent signal from optical, I am hardly surprised that the HDMI-ARC support on it is weak. (I assume you have enabled SimpLink on the thing?).

This is the first time I’ve heard the term SimpLink.  Time to go check that out.  As far as I know, I’m not having any issue with the optical cable to my Playbar.  I plan to check out optical to the ARC tomorrow. 

“Controlav”, thanks for hopping onto this conversation.  I looked up SimpLink on the web, then found it on my LG remote and turned it on.  I tried hooking up the ARC again this morning via HDMI-ARC, and bingo, I got sound!  Thank you so much!