Sonos Arc Audio Issue - Momentary Sound Drop and White Light Comes On.

• 19 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

Setup: LG CX 55, Sonos Arc, 2 x One SL

I’m experiencing random audio drops, or quietens, on my Arc. I have the status light disabled but, when the sound drops, the status light comes on for the duration. It usually lasts less than a second and then audio returns to normal.

After much searching, I’ve tried everything suggested to resolve this (quality HDMI cables, rebooting everything etc). Currently, the Arc is wired into the network (the One SLs using WiFi), and the CX is connected to the Arc via eARC. All software/firmware is up to date.

I thought that perhaps Alexa was picking up something that sounded like it’s wake word, but it’s definitely not this.

Has anyone else seen this specific issue, or does anyone know how to stop this? I’m guessing most people have the status light on, and so wouldn’t see the white light coming on briefly?

Thanks in advance...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I’m experiencing random audio drops, or quietens, on my Arc. I have the status light disabled but, when the sound drops, the status light comes on for the duration. It usually lasts less than a second and then audio returns to normal.

After much searching, I’ve tried everything suggested to resolve this (quality HDMI cables, rebooting everything etc). Currently, the Arc is wired into the network (the One SLs using WiFi), and the CX is connected to the Arc via eARC. All software/firmware is up to date.

I thought that perhaps Alexa was picking up something that sounded like it’s wake word, but it’s definitely not this.

Has anyone else seen this specific issue, or does anyone know how to stop this? I’m guessing most people have the status light on, and so wouldn’t see the white light coming on briefly?

Thanks in advance...

What makes you sure it’s not an Alexa issue? Do you have other Alexa devices around the home and could they perhaps be ‘enabling’ the same group as the Arc in the Amazon Alexa App? Your post just seems to me to be an Alexa ‘group audio ducking’, or ‘wake-word’ issue. 

Badge

Thanks in advance...

What makes you sure it’s not an Alexa issue? Do you have other Alexa devices around the home and could they perhaps be ‘enabling’ the same group as the Arc in the Amazon Alexa App? Your post just seems to me to be an Alexa ‘group audio ducking’, or ‘wake-word’ issue. 

It’s the only Alexa device, and it doesn’t behave like Alexa does. The sound dip/status light comes on for less than a second. When I use the wake word, the sound dips/light stays on for about 5 seconds before resuming. Also, the same section of the movie doesn’t trigger the issue when I replay it. It seems to be completely at random - even when no one is speaking.

Happy to be wrong about this though.

It’s the only Alexa device, and it doesn’t behave like Alexa does. The sound dip/status light comes on for less than a second. When I use the wake word, the sound dips/light stays on for about 5 seconds before resuming. Also, the same section of the movie doesn’t trigger the issue when I replay it. It seems to be completely at random - even when no one is speaking.

One of the next reasons for the white status LED is the Arc ‘perhaps’ acquiring an IP address. Do you know if the time that you see this issue occur, if it may coincide with the DHCP lease time period on your router. Also if running on WiFi or a SonosNet signal, have you perhaps tried a different wireless channel (whichever is applicable with your setup)? 

Badge

Appreciate you trying to help Ken!

The audio drop can happen a number of times during a film, for example. My lease is set to 7 days.

The Sonos Arc is wired, with the One SLs on WiFi (as this is what I understand to be the preferable setup?), but the WiFi channel is set to 11 in the Sonos app. Is this the SonosNet you refer to? My home 2.4ghz WiFi is on 6.

I’ve just changed my DCHP server to allocate fixed IP addresses to all three Sonos devices. Worth a try.

I’ve also enabled the Wake Word Chime setting, to help identify if it’s Alexa related.

Thanks

Yes that all sounds good with the WiFi/SonosNet/DHCP Reservation setup there MilkyJoe. 

You could also try simply 'temporarily’ switching off the mic, just to see if the problem goes away. In other threads here in the community I’ve seen one or two users report the TV interfering with the mic touch control, with the Arc being set quite close to the TV. Moving the Arc forward slightly resolved their issue, but just need to see if it is the mic touch control first of all.

Badge

I don’t use the touch controls, so I’ll try disabling them too. I hadn’t thought of that. My Arc is right in front of, and just below, my TV.

Thanks again!

Badge

Damn. All seemed well for a few days, but I’ve now had the Arc chime and drop audio briefly (so it does think it’s heard the Alexa wake word) but I’ve also had it drop the sound without a chime. So two separate issues by the look of it...

Damn. All seemed well for a few days, but I’ve now had the Arc chime and drop audio briefly (so it does think it’s heard the Alexa wake word) but I’ve also had it drop the sound without a chime. So two separate issues by the look of it...

...and was that with the mic and touch controls disabled?

Badge

That was with touch controls disabled, but the mic was enabled. I’m now trying it with the mic disabled too.

The odd thing is “Alexa” ordinarily waits for 5 seconds for an instruction once it hears the wake word. When the sound drop happens, it resumes within a second. Something is amiss...

When the mic is off, it can be pressed like a ‘push to talk’ option, I’m just wondering if you move the Arc a little further away from the TV if that might resolve the matter?