Answered

Sonos Arc + Apple Tv + LG HU80KSW projector confusion

• 27 December 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

So I really thought I had this set up figured out. Surround with Arc, Sub and 2 x Sonos One. HDMI connection to HDMI Arc from Arc to projector. HDMI connection from the Apple Tv to other HDMI port of projector. The LG HU80KSW is essentially a smart tv in a projector package. But I can’t get the wired audio connection to work? I only get audio from Airplay which sounds fine, no lag so far. Why is the Sonos Arc not using the wired Arc connection? I know projectors are theoretically not supported, but the LG HU80KSW is just a tv in another format with a normal HDMI Arc connection. I have a feeling some people on here got this to work but I’m stumped. All the right elements are in place. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 December 2021, 23:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge

Excellent, I figured as much, thank you! DD+ 5.1 is plenty for my at home use.

Nice Projector too by the way ..👍

Thank you. I got it at the beginning of the pandemic when it became clear that I wouldn’t be traveling much or going to the cinema. So I figured I’d put my travel budget towards a nice at home set up. 

Nice Projector too by the way ..👍

Badge

Atmos audio ‘usually’ requires an HDMI-eARC (enhanced port) connection and when I look at the Projector user manual there is no mention of Atmos, but it does support DD+ 5.1 which is used by the streaming services for compressed Atmos audio.. so there’s no guarantee, but if you do subscribe to say a Netflix Premium Plan (required) then try playing ‘6 Underground’ movie or any movie that shows ‘Atmos’ audio next to its title, but I’m not confident it will work on that Projector, but nothing ventured …etc.

The ‘Now Playing’ Screen in the Sonos App, or the ‘About Box’ Audio-In next to the Arc in the device list will show the Audio codec in use by the Arc.

Badge

Just one thing, Atmos content ‘only’ appears to be playing in Dolby Digital 5.1. I mean, it’s plenty for our living room, but I’m wondering if I can get Atmos to work.

Badge

OMG, I think it worked. The two Sonos Ones disconnected for a second, I had to re-add them. SIMPLINK was indeed switched off. The soundscape is insane, thanks a million.

I think you perhaps need to switch Simplink (HDMI-CEC) on in the Projector settings… see if that resolves the sound-out issue. 

From user manual…

Press the (Q.Settings) button on the remote control and select General SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC).
Set SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) to On.
Configure the AutoPowerSync settings to On