Sonos Arc and Samsung - eARC compatibility issues

Show first post

100 replies

Having this same issue right now with my Sonos Arc and Samsung QN75Q9FN. It is driving me mad that neither of them are owning up to it. I also think this is Samsung since I don’t have an issue with my LG OLED 

Hi all, I am about to buy a Samsung QN85 Series TV and was hoping to also pair it with a Sonos Arc (I have never owned a Sonos product).  Is the compatibility issue between the 2 resolved or should I look elsewhere for a sound bar?

TIA

same issue on Sonos Arc  , sound cutoff with my samsung q65t firmware tizenos ver 1460,9 …. please fix it :)

I just bought a 2021 QN95A and can confirm this issue persists between the Samsung TV and Sonos Arc. 

very frustrating that it hasn’t been resolved yet. 

I tried the input signal plus setting but had no luck there. 

My q8dt with arc isn’t getting atmos according to the app.  Any ideas?  I have all the same settings as mentioned in this thread.  Tried with 4K Apple TV on input 1 and also through the native apps and not getting it.  Shows Dolby multi channel pcm 5.1.  Arc is in input 3.  Did everyone use the hdmi cable that came with the arc?  

Badge

Anyone with 2019 QLED having any success ? I have Q70R 2019 and still waiting to get update.

And of course I ended up rebooting everything this morning and can now play atmos streaming from the Apple 4K.  Not going to bother with the native apps for now.  Sounds awesome!

Just got backordered Arc yesterday and have a new (2020) Samsung QN75Q80T. No sound if set to Auto. Very frustrating.

Yes ! I know…. same issue here. Please sonos…. fix sound on qled tv Samsung with arc !! Dont hesite to create new topic about that on forum… ! 

I have had a samsung technician attend my home to look at the same issue. When i choose AUTO the Sonos ARC mutes.. no sound! Also, when i turn my 2020 75” Samsung frame on the Sonos ARC sound cuts in and out. I have to unplug and reset it, once i have done that is it OK. 

I also took my Sonos ARC and tested it on a 2020 SONY And LG  TV and had no problems at all. 

Samsung tested a new samsung Soundbar with ATMOS and it worked fine.

Samsung and  SONOS are blaming each other. Doesn’t really help the consumer. 

Hi All

I wanted to make you aware of an experience I am having with both Sonos and Samsung. I am on my second Samsung tv (replacement q95t) and the following letter to CEO’s of both companies should explain. Be interesting to know if any members of this community are aware or have experienced these issues.

Dear Patrick/Sang Ho Jo gwi-ha

Apologies for the direct approach, however I must make you aware of a situation with regards to two of your companies top consumer products.   I have been a loyal purchaser of both Samsung and Sonos products for a number of years now, and most recently have purchased your Sonos Arc Soundbar and Samsung Q95T television products.   On receipt of these products, I have noticed a compatibility issue between the two aforementioned products around the eARC connectivity. Simply put, once eARC is enabled on the Samsung device, no sound is transmitted via the Sonos Arc. Once Disabled however, sound is apparent.   From a samsung perspective, I have been issued a second device which has had the same issue, and no further known resolution to fix has been offered with technical advising its not a Samsung issue. From a Sonos Perspective, the response from technical has been to "confirm that the issue you are experiencing has been raised with the right teams who are looking into it, regarding e-ARC needing to be off to get audio from this TV. We don't have a timescale on a resolution at this time".   From a loyal user, this is far from perfect with no eta to fix, or even a guarantee that it will be fixed and no clear view on where the issue resides, with Samsung or Sonos?   On looking at the Samsung forums, this appears to be an issue not just for myself but for many other users now. The following is one example of feedback from Sonos on the Samsung Forums:  

"It does look like there may be some issues arising when the eARC function on the TV is enabled. DD+ is capable of carrying a compressed ATMOS signal, so you should still be able to experience ATMOS from your Arc. In the mean time however there's no fix for this.

I'm not able to give you a solid answer right now unfortunately, however the Arc is known to work with other TVs so my inclination would be that this is a Samsung issue. We are certainly aware of this however and we are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this resolved.

I would expect this to be fixable via a Firmware update, however I can't guarantee this unfortunately.

We are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this issue resolved. Due to the huge number of TV models and manufacturers, issues such as this do sometimes arise - in any case we are looking in to getting it resolved and we are happy to assist any customers which are affected by this issue.

So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's. No firm promise of a fix, not very impressed with SONOS at this point as Samsung could be classed as a major supplier of global premium TV's, you would have thought that they would have ensured their premium soundbar would work with the new Samsung Flagship range, but apparently not."   So my ask is simple - please can your organisations work together to resolve this issue as opposed to the blame culture that has been our experience - Many users have purchased both devices on the strength of this eARC capability, and this is clearly advertised as a function of your devices.  My retailer in the UK is on standby to take these products back if we can't get to a resolution which would be a major disappointment so I hope you can find a solution to this issue for me.   Kind Regards   Mike

I have had a samsung technician attend my home to look at the same issue. When i choose AUTO the Sonos ARC mutes.. no sound! Also, when i turn my 2020 75” Samsung frame on the Sonos ARC sound cuts in and out. I have to unplug and reset it, once i have done that is it OK. 

I also took my Sonos ARC and tested it on a 2020 SONY And LG  TV and had no problems at all. 

Samsung tested a new samsung Soundbar with ATMOS and it worked fine.

Samsung and  SONOS are blaming each other. Doesn’t really help the consumer. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have the Q8DT (Costco (big box store) version of the Q80T) and confirm it does NOT use the One Connect box. I am waiting for my back ordered Sonos Arc. I will report my experience back to the Community when I receive it.

Sonos, fix this quick please.  I am starting to assume that the ARC is currently back ordered due to this defect and the company trying to buy time to resolve it.  If that’s the case, that’s fine, but I expect all current ARC owners to be shipped a new unit to replace this recallable product.  

Sorry for the redundancy…. but we are all in this crappy situation, just like the COVID!  We need a vaccine for our speaker now!

I was notified last night that my backordered ARC has been shipped. I sure hope your assumption is correct and they have done something to the new batch of ARCs. I’ll post my adventures.

Userlevel 1

I have the Q8DT (Costco (big box store) version of the Q80T) and confirm it does NOT use the One Connect box. I am waiting for my back ordered Sonos Arc. I will report my experience back to the Community when I receive it.

Sonos, fix this quick please.  I am starting to assume that the ARC is currently back ordered due to this defect and the company trying to buy time to resolve it.  If that’s the case, that’s fine, but I expect all current ARC owners to be shipped a new unit to replace this recallable product.  

Sorry for the redundancy…. but we are all in this crappy situation, just like the COVID!  We need a vaccine for our speaker now!

I was notified last night that my backordered ARC has been shipped. I sure hope your assumption is correct and they have done something to the new batch of ARCs. I’ll post my adventures.

Great!  Please update ASAP.  I was told by a Best Buy employee that Sonos changed manufacturing locations recently, and that caused the back order delays.  Piecing info together, maybe there was an issue with earlier models.  I am tempted to return my soundbar and buy the “back ordered” model.  Sucks to have to wait, but may be worth it.

Badge

Thanks Michael, I still think I am going to OLED from LG . I have a 55” for the past 3 years with no problems with sound. Funny I use a Samsung sound bar with it. I researched the one I am getting from best buy and no audio issue like the Samsung.  If you know a good reason to not go in that direction let me know. Also LG has come down in price closer to the Samsung Qled.  Thanks 

Userlevel 1
Badge

That is so frustrating! I am reporting the issue now to Samsung in the Netherlands as well. Hoping to see if they are able to do anything with it…. will keep you all posted if anything new comes up

So I have a Samsung 2020 75” Frame TV.   Ordered a Sonos Arc bar and 2 x One SL surrounds for our TV room.   Got the One SL’s today, but the Arc seems to be backordered for a little bit (maybe a good thing?).   Was just looking around today on Atmos support and found this thread.   Have to admit, I started off super worried that I made a huge mistake.    Judging by recent comments though, when my Arc arrives, I should be fine plugging into eArc and turning to Auto, correct?    Does the Samsung Frame support Atmos, it says it doesn’t have Atomos on Samsung website, but does that mean it’s just not built-in to the TV speakers (but using a soundbar like Arc I’ll have full Dolby Atmos?).   Thanks, sorry for the relatively dumb questions! 

To start with, the Frame does not support Dolby Atmos (from what I can see on the 2020 models, don’t have your TV model number, so cannot say it with 100% certainty). 

Depending on your level of audiophile requirements, I honestly don’t think you need to be worried.

Atmos is a great future, but even the ARC does not provide a true Dolby Atmos experience. In my opinion you will need a full Atmos (wired) setup for this with ceiling mounted speakers. I find it hard to really hear the difference between an Atmos movie or a 5.1 Dolby Surround and my TV does support Atmos. I have the same setup with the Arc, 2x Sonos One’s as surround and I do have the subwoofer which really is awesome. 

The e-arc issue I believe is also not a concern for the Frame, as from what I can see the Frame only support “arc” (audio return channel) but not e-arc. Even if it did, you can still get the sound to work great with the e-arc functionality off. You will still get a fully imersive surround sound, as the e-arc function on my TV has not been working since my purchase in April, yet I can watch movies and listen to music and still make the house shake. 

sorry for the lengthy response, hope this settles your purchase nerves. Hope the Arc arrives soon!

Sorry, but you are incorrect. The Frame does indeed support e-Arc. And correct me if I’m wrong but the TV doesn’t need to support Atmos does it? I thought that was a function of the sound system, in this case the Arc.

Some issues also…
Have Samsung QE65Q80B (2022) with eArc + [Sonos Arc+2OneSL] + Sony UBP-X700.

I can get Dolby ATMOS with stream….but not with 4KUltraHD or BlueRay (playing in UBP-X700).
Sonos ARC connect directly on eARC from TV.
What can i do?

Thanks for your support

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@BBH , question for you … so are you seeing any dropout of sound at all? And if not, are you set to auto eARC?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I am set to Auto and I don’t notice any dropouts at all. I added a SONOS AMP to “fold in” my existing in ceiling speakers as Surrounds. All sounds good to me.

@CvH7 im not sure about your research, but if I go into expert audio settings on the TV it has the option to turn eArc to auto 🤣🤷‍♂️.    Let’s hope the new arcs shipping in November have fixed the issue once and for all! 

I’m sorry to report I don’t think it’s completely fixed. I have a 65 inch The Frame and a new ARC. It did work out of the box for a few days but then suddenly I had the intermittent audio. To make a long story short I turned off e-Arc and that worked for a day. The following day the problem was back so I reset and reconfigured the ARC and now everything is working again. Not sure what cause the system to become intermittent. One thing I noticed is the Samsung would show HDMI e-Arc, then  just HDMI when the problem was occurring. 

Hopefully this was a transient issue. I’ll report back if it comes back.

I have same issue , after the last auto update on the Samsung tv 1403.1 its an issue again for me. So a sulation for you Was to reset Sonos Arc ?

Yes. I did a hard reset and it’s all working now. 

Hi Everyone. After reading through the various posts I still don’t see there being a resolution to the problem. We recently bought a Samsung Q80T bundled with the Sonos Arc and Sub (Gen3). Everything worked great till just recently: We are suddenly experiencing sound cutting in and out. I stress that everything was fine for weeks and the problem suddenly started for no apparent reason? Nothing has been changed in terms of system settings, connections, etc.

When the problem occurs disconnecting the Arc from the TV fixes the problem for a short time. Alternatively powering down the Arc and starting it back up fixes the problem for a short time. 

Otherwise sound from the TV speakers works fine and there is no sound outage. It is sound from the Arc that seems to be the problem.

My concern relates to the fact things were fine to begin with and the problem suddenly started for no apparent reason? If we were to change TV we may be in the same situation where the Arc works well in the beginning but then suddenly is plagued by gremlins. In the meantime there are reports of problems with other Arc+TV combinations. Hence the one common denominator seems to be the Arc.

Badge

I have reported the audio lag video problems on my 2019 Samsung 75” Q80R.  Internal apps work, but anything passing through the inbound HDMI has the problem with an audio lag using the HDMI-ARC port.  This is not Atmos, but frustrating.  I have since connected to the Optical port and use the Optical/HDMI adapter.  I am currently pursuing a refund from Samsung since the set is under warranty and not fixable.

Curious if you have any luck with the refund. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Interesting. For me, though I got my Arc early (so not from the latest manufacturing location), what I see is almost like clock work, every 25 to 30 minutes the sound cuts out for a split second. It use to be less predictable but much much more frequent, but after various firmware updates (on the TV, a Q90T, and the Arc) as well as a reboot of the Arc and the TV I’m now in this clockwork like state.

It is exceptionally odd. Most of my watching, however, is from an Xbox One (and I have tried and Xbox One S and Xbox One X, both have this clockwork like behaviour).

Has this issue been fixed? I just purchased Q80T THIS PAST WEEKEND! I am concerned that upgrading my SONOS playbar to ARC will resort in the same issue you are all facing. Is this a world wide issue or isolated to UK? Are customer in USA finding same issue with Q80T and Sonos Arc compatibly? 

Any help appreciated? I spoke to Samsung tech and they say they have no complaints so far on this issue? They are not aware of an issue. They also said the most recent firmware on Q80T is 1301 August 4, 2020! I am tempted to return the TV if I can not use Sonos ARC with the Q80T

thank you.. 

Can you clarify a couple things regarding your post?  What sources are you using for your test cases?  You mentioned DD+, so I assume streaming sources.  Are those internal smart apps or an external source?  Are you able to get audio from TrueHD sources?

You mentioned enabling/disabling eARC.  On my tv, ARC is called AnyNet.  Does your TV have a different naming convention.  Are ARC and eARC turned on separately?  I ask because I’m not exactly sure how you would get audio with eARC disabled at all, unless you could enable ARC without enabling eARC.  I assumed it was all one configuration, but perhaps I am wrong on that.

As far as the issue of blame, there is standards involved here.  TV manufacturers and audio companies claim they are ARC, eARC, DD+, TrueHD, CEC, Atmos, etc by following those established standards.  The point of the standards is that TV and soundbar should work if they follow the standard without having to test specifically with every possible combination of TV and soundbar.  In this case, although it’s possible that both Samsung and Sonos did not properly follow the standard, the most likely case is that one is following the standard and the other is not. Given what I’ve seen with ARC and CEC related issues on TVs when the Beam and Amp came out, and that Sonos works on with other TVs, I suspect the issue lies with Samsung.   Perhaps Sonos can help Samsung fix the issue in some way, but hard for them to take responsibility for it.

As far as taking back the products, not really necessary to take back both.  You could switch out the TV with something that doesn’t have the eARC issue, or you could you could switch out the Arc for something that doesn’t rely on eARC.