Sonos Arc and Samsung - eARC compatibility issues

Show first post

100 replies

I am seeing the same - have Samsung Q950TS - and Arc - and we get audio drops out every time we turn on TV

They can be reset either by toggling the cable on the Arc or by toggling the Dolby Atmos in Sound Expert Settings on TV

Hugely frustrating!!!

Been waiting eagerly for a driver update. This is 100% a Samsung issue.

The new firmware issued yesterday by Samsung has fixed this issue! There’s also a Sonos upgrade. 

Download both and install - eARC (auto) now works. Dolby Atmos content is playing as expected without any issues.

Badge

I have read this thread on the Samsung TV and I am in the same situation. The Sonos Tech after several jours of trouble shooting said and I quote” upon checking both diags, the TV logs are still showing something that is not normal in the TV processor, here is the message: Input Format change Dolby MAT (2.0.0) --> Dolby MAT
(5.1.0) so basically the TV processor is constantly changing the audio format and it can cause some issues with the audio.”

I purchased it at  Best Buy and I am replacing the  TV with an LG OLED.   I have no reason to not believe the Sonos Rep

I have received an e-mail from Samsung to advise Sonos and Samsung are working on this issue and should have an update mid September. 

@CvH7 im not sure about your research, but if I go into expert audio settings on the TV it has the option to turn eArc to auto 🤣🤷‍♂️.    Let’s hope the new arcs shipping in November have fixed the issue once and for all! 

I’m sorry to report I don’t think it’s completely fixed. I have a 65 inch The Frame and a new ARC. It did work out of the box for a few days but then suddenly I had the intermittent audio. To make a long story short I turned off e-Arc and that worked for a day. The following day the problem was back so I reset and reconfigured the ARC and now everything is working again. Not sure what cause the system to become intermittent. One thing I noticed is the Samsung would show HDMI e-Arc, then  just HDMI when the problem was occurring. 

Hopefully this was a transient issue. I’ll report back if it comes back.

Badge

I swapped my Samsung out with a OLED LG over a month ago no problems.      I hope Sonos continues to invest in the ARC with the 2 additional speakers in the supporting a surround sound simulation> I would like to see the voice carried to the back speakers

@CvH7 im not sure about your research, but if I go into expert audio settings on the TV it has the option to turn eArc to auto 🤣🤷‍♂️.    Let’s hope the new arcs shipping in November have fixed the issue once and for all! 

I’m sorry to report I don’t think it’s completely fixed. I have a 65 inch The Frame and a new ARC. It did work out of the box for a few days but then suddenly I had the intermittent audio. To make a long story short I turned off e-Arc and that worked for a day. The following day the problem was back so I reset and reconfigured the ARC and now everything is working again. Not sure what cause the system to become intermittent. One thing I noticed is the Samsung would show HDMI e-Arc, then  just HDMI when the problem was occurring. 

Hopefully this was a transient issue. I’ll report back if it comes back.

I have same issue , after the last auto update on the Samsung tv 1403.1 its an issue again for me. So a sulation for you Was to reset Sonos Arc ?

I unplug power from the Arc not the socket on the wal works again now after connecting again :)

I have the Samsung Q95T, 75 inch (German version GQ75Q95TGTXZG). It’s brand new and I have the brand new Sonos Arc full 5.1 system with sub and surrounds, plus Sonos 5, move etc. No issues with Sonos products before. I have the latest firmware on the Samsung TV 1460.9 and expensive high end HDMI cable connected to my one connect box in the correct e-ARC port.

There is no doubt that there is a fault here, the products don’t work together. If Dolby Atmos is enabled in the Samsung settings menu there will periodically be situations where the sound cuts out as the TV cycles between an e-ARC audio connection and HDMI connection (you can see it flicking between both if you have the sound menu open). 

As discovered by other users, power cycling the Arc fixes the problem temporarily. either until the next time the TV is switched off/on or if you are lucky a bit longer. Users that may report no issue with 2020 boxes and Sonos ARC May be to do with a difference between European and US versions of the Onebox firmware, or that the Dolby Atmos option in the sound menu is toggled off which also seems to help. 

Reports of a firmware update either from Samsung or Sonos that fix the issue in this and other threads are incorrect. Looks like this issue has been around for over a year now. I don’t have time to spend 2 hours on the phone with tech support and it beggars belief that these two top notch brands haven’t been able to fix it yet. Will check back periodically as I get more and more frustrated with the daily hassle. 

The recent update fixes this issue:https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Same issue with the Samsung FRAME TV (2020 version). Turning on eARC results in no sound…..

Personally more inclined to believe it’s a Samsung issue - Good TV’s but they always seem to have some firmware quirks...

Userlevel 1
Badge

Waiting for the Samsung update to get rolled out to other markets. I have a Q95T in Singapore and the update is still not available to me.

Also have the q8dt and arc with install slotted for Monday.  Subscribing to this thread and will share my experiences/settings/connections with everyone.  Sonos has a good track record of fixing things so I guess we will see.  Frustrating to spend this amount of money and have these type of issues!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Samsung Q95T here with Sonos Arc. Turning on eARC results in no sound. Sigh. 

Does anyone have an alternative to the Sonos that works well with Samsung TV’s? I just bought the Q90T and was looking into the Sonos Arc but after reading these issues I’m thinking it’s not a good idea. Is there another soundbar with Atmos that works better and doesn’t have these issues?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

These problems should have been resolved: 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have a 2020 Q80T, Arc, Sub Gen 2 and a pair of One SL’s. I have the Arc plugged into eArc, Atmos enabled in the TV and the TV set to eArc. No lip sync issues at all. The Sonos app indicates Atmos when playing Atmos content. If I turn off eArc in my sound settings the app indicates Atmos Dolby Digital+. 
my set up sounds great and has worked flawlessly so far. The TV is 10 days old. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Mike - Thank you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Bit strange it’s working for Alberta but not us. 

Could it be we’re uk based and have different software versions? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I think that Samsung has different firmware for UK/US. The plot thickens..

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps we have different software configurations. I feel fortunate having read the issues many have had with Samsung and Arc functionality. I bought the TV knowing there were people having issues but I’ve always been a Samsung fan. This is my first Sonos experience. Started with Arc and quickly added the Sub and Ones. Not because the Arc wasn’t getting the job done but after listening to the Arc in a full 5.1.2 set up I just felt I would take the plunge for max enjoyment. 

Any update on this issue?

I wanted to thank everyone for this post. I just spent 9 straight hours trying to get my Beam and two 3’s to a cable box and Samsung TV just bought from Costco. It all worked at first, then crapped out. Reset didn’t help. All the upgrades in firmware done.  I tried to route trough a pioneer elite receiver hoping it was maybe a Sonos issue, but no luck. I thought I was going to loose my mind and my wife was about to kill me when I found this post.  

I spent SO much time with the cable company trying to fix the issue until we agreed that it wasn’t their audio feed, which I already knew, but was enjoying the company and thought that two heads were better than one!  

Btw, I still think it’s a perfect shit storm of both Samsung AND Sonos here because the Arc doesn’t work with the Pioneer receiver (which which I acknowledge sucks as a receiver btw...shame on you Pioneer! You used to be terrific until you sold your soul!!) 

my final conclusion after a day of suffering is to either admit defeat and by a Samsung bar or go back to Costco and trade in Samsung for the LG I wanted in the first place but I let my wife talk me out of! Did I just blame my wife???? Sorry babe, you are perfect...😂

Any new downloads in sight, or do I have to go wait in line at Costco on a Labor Day weekend before the NFL is about to start? 

FYI Just got off the phone with Samsung and she sent me a link to download a new firmware update Version 1460.9. It’s not available through the TV’s automatic updates. You have to download the file.

This is from Samsung Tech support: This is the link of the website where you can download the latest software version of your Samsung Smart TV https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/qled-tv-q6dt-2020. After the download , extract and unzip the files then plug the USB at the back of the TV (usb port).

I just installed it and now the TV shows Sonos Arc Receiver as the output whereas before it would just show eARC.  Hopefully this resolves the issue we’ve all been having. Good luck to everyone.  

I have a 2020 Q80T, Arc, Sub Gen 2 and a pair of One SL’s. I have the Arc plugged into eArc, Atmos enabled in the TV and the TV set to eArc. No lip sync issues at all. The Sonos app indicates Atmos when playing Atmos content. If I turn off eArc in my sound settings the app indicates Atmos Dolby Digital+. 
my set up sounds great and has worked flawlessly so far. The TV is 10 days old. 

Thanks for your feedback Alberta, Can you confirm please that the eARC setiing is on AUTO. So Sound > Expert Setting > eARC enabled option is Auto. And then confirm you have sound. Can you confirm the source of Atmos please and also can you confirm when eARC is enabled if you get any sound on normal channels such as terrestrial broadcasting/in built apps such as Netflix?

Had dd+, but followed the settings as stated above. On my Samsung tv I hit settings>sound>expert settings>eARC enabled option is auto. Now when I check my system and main page audio output, I’m receiving true Dolby Atmos….no more Dolby digital +. Hope this helps others if you have a Samsung tv.