Question

Sonos Amp or Beam for home theater setup?

• 17 January 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So currently I have the beam with 2 plays 1, and I also have a pair of unused floor stand speaker. I’ve been research about the Sonos Amp. I’m interested in sonos amp because I want to use my current floor stand speaker. I know the amp can be connect to the TV with HDMI ARC. So I’m wondering should I keep the beam or buy the amp and move the beam to another room. I’m also planning to buy a SUB for the setup!

Please let me know your opinion, thanks!

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

My current pair of speaker is this. I’m not sure to pair this with the amp, sub, and 2 plays 1. Or stick with Beam, Sub, and 2 plays 1.

I’ve heard of phantom center, will it impact the enjoyment while watching tv?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I would definitely get the Sonos amp to use with your speakers.  Hook it up to the TV and see if you’re happy with the sound.  If so, then follow your plan and move the Beam to another room. If not, then I would use the amp plus speakers for music and the Beam for the TV.   Do the same sort of testing with the sub.  Try it bonded with the Sonos amp and with the Beam and see what you think adds the most.

A lot of this is comes down to personal preference.  I do think it’s pretty safe to assume though that if you like what you got from your current speakers, then you will like them powered by the Sonos Amp.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I would definitely get the Sonos amp to use with your speakers.  Hook it up to the TV and see if you’re happy with the sound.  If so, then follow your plan and move the Beam to another room. If not, then I would use the amp plus speakers for music and the Beam for the TV.   Do the same sort of testing with the sub.  Try it bonded with the Sonos amp and with the Beam and see what you think adds the most.

A lot of this is comes down to personal preference.  I do think it’s pretty safe to assume though that if you like what you got from your current speakers, then you will like them powered by the Sonos Amp.

Cause I’m planning to buy this and bring it back to VN so it’s not possible for me to buy the Amp and if I don’t like it to return (cause I’m going back for 3 months, so the refund date won’t make it).

But do you think buy the Amp only for stereo music would be worth it? it costs the same price as the speaker itself

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Cause I’m planning to buy this and bring it back to VN so it’s not possible for me to buy the Amp and if I don’t like it to return (cause I’m going back for 3 months, so the refund date won’t make it).

But do you think buy the Amp only for stereo music would be worth it? it costs the same price as the speaker itself

I've gone from a playbar+ Sonos sub to a Sonos amp+ speakers and psb sub. Very much prefer the amp over playbar for everything TV/movies/music. 

That's just me, ymmv. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes, I absolutely would do this in your situation. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So would you use the beam or amp in this situation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So would you use the beam or amp in this situation?

Sorry, I mean I would buy the amp for use with TV and music.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I've gone from a playbar+ Sonos sub to a Sonos amp+ speakers and psb sub. Very much prefer the amp over playbar for everything TV/movies/music. 

That's just me, ymmv. 

Would you recommend to use the Sonos sub with amp and 2 plays 1? Because I don’t have any passive sub

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

That's just me, ymmv. 

Would you recommend to use the Sonos sub with amp and 2 plays 1? Because I don’t have any passive sub

I don't use play 1s or other surrounds with my set up so can't really comment on that. 

I didn't love the Sonos sub but that's just me so this is a personal preference only you can decide 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That's just me, ymmv. 

I don’t know the specifics of your passive speakers, but based on the pictures, it looks like it covers the bass pretty well.  That, plus the difficulty of getting the Sub into Vietnam, and I’m guessing you can a passive sub much easier...I would skip the Sonos Sub.   

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

That's just me, ymmv. 

I don’t know the specifics of your passive speakers, but based on the pictures, it looks like it covers the bass pretty well.  That, plus the difficulty of getting the Sub into Vietnam, and I’m guessing you can a passive sub much easier...I would skip the Sonos Sub.   

They have a dealer in vn who sells the sub around 900 so I could get that. I think my speaker is pretty good at bass for music. But I'm concerned about like watching movie or playing video games