Question

Sonos amp compatibility with ceiling speakers

• 17 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, 

My current setup is 3 front and 2 rear in ceiling Jamo 460 speakers in my family room. They are powered by a Yamaha receiver that is located roughly 200 ft away in a separate room. Long story short we had this setup installed 10 years ago and over the years we pared down our cable, # of tvs etc so currently this receiver only powers the speakers and is the only sizable thing left in the AV rack. 

I am not a tech savvy person by any means but think the Sonos amp could be a solution to getting rid of the huge receiver I have. I can’t figure out how to power 5 speakers or if with my setup this is even doable. Would I need a playbar and an amp? Or could i get by with just 4 speakers and forget about the center one? Would that loss of sound quality be noticeable or weird?

I’ve  tried to read up and can’t seem to figure it out. Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Signed, 

A desperate mom who wants to get rid of her av rack

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@ErinPl Sorry for the slow reply and welcome to the Sonos Community. If you decided to go with the Sonos Amp’s you would need two of them with one providing the front with two wired speakers while simulating the center channel. You would then use the other Amp as a rear surround setup with two wired speakers and only needing four wired speakers.

There are other options for the front like the Arc, Beam or Playbar then only needing one Amp for the rear surround setup with wired speakers.