SONOS 7.1 Surround Sound System

Userlevel 3
Come on SONOS 7.1 and 7.2 Surround Sound is already years old, 9.1 & 9.2 seen as its update,

A SONOS 7.1 system would be very much in demand, loads of questions on here already about producing it, Id buy today if it was available, 7.1 channels with that SUB, awesome, come on SONOS make us even happier,...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

In any case he will understand ... 🙂
Jgatie, I don't see your point.

My point is exactly what I said. When people demand things with commentary like

NEVER BELIEVE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO STAY THE BEST.
LISTEN CONSTANTLY TO YOUR CUSTOMER.
ONLY HIM KNOWS WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOUR BUSINESS !

it is the most absurd nonsense I've ever heard.

#1 - No, the customer is not the ONLY one who knows what is good for Sonos' business. Not by a long shot. The customer knows what is good for themselves, which is not necessarily good for a business, and is quite often in direct opposite. If customers think Sonos should sell a Connect for $50, are they correct? Because there are plenty who think they should!

#2 - It is not a guaranteed success because one yields to the general public his own visions and dreams for what his product should be. Matter of fact, the most successful businessmen dictate the market, they don't follow it.
Let's all take stock and redirect. SONOS, Please get us to at least 7.1, if not 9.1. I own at least one of every single item you produce(4qty Play 3s) and would put those 7.1 set ups in at least 2 more rooms plus my outdoor space. Yes, this includes your expensive play bars and SONOS SUB.

Thanks for your consideration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The chances of Sonos either updating the current Playbar or of introducing a new Playbar to do a 7.1 or 9.1 (Really?!) set-up are vanishingly small.

Really if I were you I'd choose another horse.

There's more chance of Sonos announcing support for DTS
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
The chances of Sonos either updating the current Playbar or of introducing a new Playbar to do a 7.1 or 9.1 (Really?!) set-up are vanishingly small.

Really if I were you I'd choose another horse.

There's more chance of Sonos announcing support for DTS

Is sonos done with the soundbar most likely?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wouldn't have thought so. But your guess is as good as mine.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Wouldn't have thought so. But your guess is as good as mine.
yea im not sure if not it would seem that we would be incredibly close to a refresh then 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Shops have been discounting playbar by £100 if bought with tv here in UK, so sonos could be shifting current stock to make way for new version2....or not
Shops have been discounting playbar by £100 if bought with tv here in UK, so sonos could be shifting current stock to make way for new version2....or not

I thought it was just John Lewis making this offer, but you are correct, other stores like Currys etc are making the exact same offer.

I must admit I am waiting for the PlayBar (Gen2) myself, but I would have thought the stores would have given the discount offer without having to also buy a TV, that's if the new Playbar was due out anytime soon. Perhaps that will be their next step?

If such hardware is coming to market I think we may still be some months away from seeing it here in the UK. :(

Maybe Christmas, if we're lucky !!

Dear Santa/(or my Wife).... If you are reading this... (hint) ... (hint)...ha ha 😃
Badge +1
Different retailers might try and cross sell Sonos products with their own discounts, but I haven't seen any Sonos manufacturer discounts to speak of. If they are out there, they would be out there right now for Father's Day Sales. Also using discounts to move product and manage inventory is quite unrelated from actually discontinuing a product due to a new edition. But for what's it's worth, our current setup continues to deliver outstanding value: my family and I watched The Man From UNCLE with our Playbar, Sub and Surrounds and the soundtrack was sensational!
Definitely ready for a 7.1 or 7.2 setup, please!
Can you add a pair of 1s (or 3s or 5s) to augment the existing stereo L-R with the Playbar? I am setting the Playbar to run the TV and replace my existing stereo setup (same room). The one thing I am not getting from the Playbar is a wide soundstage. If I could just add a pair of 1s L and R to widen the stage a bit I think I'd be there. Not 7.1 - but more 3.1+
+1000
Hi all, could not agree more with what is said here.
Below mail sent to Sonos CEO as suggested on sonos web ...

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear intelligent CEO
After a long waiting time, I decided to join the Sonos bandwagon.
As classical music maniac and software engineer,
the quality of restitution of mediums is to me the critical point for music listening and this was my major hesitation to buy Sonos.
Finally, I decided to install the following in my 5m x 5m living room which gladly brings me a lot of satisfaction:
-> 3 pairs of Sonos One for stereo Front, stereo center & stereo back
-> 1 sonos Five (new model) for "Front center" channel (for home cinema)
I have spent around 2000 USD up to now... you must be happy :-)

BUT BUT BUT...YOU WANT TO REMAIN LEADER ?

1. Make Multichannel listening a reality
My dear Sonos, we are today in the 21st century and sound restitution as moved from stereo to multichannel even in the Hifi world.
It is possible today, with sound processors etc., to recreate "Concert Hall" or "Outdoor Concert" listening experiences.
Therefore you should invest heavily in software development to bring an application that can drive 7.1 or 9.1 configurations of sonos speakers.
Build something in cooperation with Yamaha, Pioneer or Denon etc. to bring to the market a standard allowing any Streaming of Dolby ATMOS or DTS to wireless speakers... A STANDARD not a proprietary thing...

2. OPEN-UP Sonos
Build APIs allowing 3rd party applications to stream music to sonos speakers !!!
Is it so difficult to understand this need ??? Everybody screams for it on your forum/blog.
Monopoly is stupid, think of Microsoft, Apple, ... They all pay at the end lack of openness.
For ex. I stopped buying iphone and moved to Android... Apple lost 750 USD every 2 years.

And, No, it is not ok to pay 350 USD just to have a line in adapter.
I would love to see "player" applications like KODI being able to stream to Sonos speakers.

3. FIX
Fix this annoying loss of music playback by the speaker acting as Sonos controller.
Being software engineer I am 100 % confident that when getting the tracks to play you can buffer them and avoid these cuts while listening.
FYI my WIFI is very good an I use the sonos boost.

MOST IMPORTANTLY to stay the best, apply this rule of thumb:
NEVER BELIEVE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO STAY THE BEST.
LISTEN CONSTANTLY TO YOUR CUSTOMER.
ONLY HIM KNOWS WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOUR BUSINESS !

A customer is faithful because he is listened more than anything else... like in a couple.
Badge
I have an amazing 5.1 setup with the Player, Sub and a connect:Amp for the real built in speakers. I would love to be able to use my high front speakers with another connect:amp for 9.1 and add some lower Play 1s for the 7.1 piece.
At this point they need to just go with the 9.1 update. I am surprised the play base did not support this.
Userlevel 3
If customers think Sonos should sell a Connect for $50, are they correct? Because there are plenty who think they should!

Actually, yes. If customers felt the value of a Sonos Connect was $50, then that is the price point at which Sonos should sell.

As it stands, customers believe it has a higher value and a willing to pay more.

This is economics 101.

There is a *massive* customer base of Sonos who desire more options in their Home Theater equipment.

Sonos is pulling what Apple did with the AppleTV. Apple made the grave mistake of treating movie and television customers the same as their music customers. These things are completely different. Thus, the failure of the AppleTV.

While Sonos could pay this game when it came to music - refusing to cover hi-res audio or SACD because these are relatively obscure items with little demand ... the same is not true of the cinema market. When it comes to movies - we are up sold on these audio/visual features. Surround sound. 4K. There is a demand for these things.

This is why Sonos makes determining whether or not you are getting 5.1 signal difficult rather than putting it into the main part of the app.

They say they don't offer better audio in home theater because they are concerned with the "modern customer" who streams content. Well, golly gee ... I can stream Dolby Atmos, DTS, DD+ currently. Sonos needs to wake up.

Is 7.1 or 9.1 a massive market ... no, I would think not. 5.1 is the sweet spot right now ... but Sonos can't even handle that with aplomb.
+1 I would implement this in my two setups, and all of my client's home setups
Let's get with the program 11.2!
Sonos, we need 7.1 surround sound now! With DTS support!
”Generally speaking, the bandwidth of an optical connection isn't enough to pass a 7.1 audio signal at all. This would make it extremely difficult to get a 7.1”

Isn’t ”optical” just how you transfer the audio. S/pdif can use optical with only 2 channels. ADAT use 8 channels with optical and 7.1 are 8 channels?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
7.1 even compressed requires bandwidth that is higher than what can pass over optical

It's a pitty that no one decided to create and updated optical port with higher bandwidth, optical is better than HDMI right now because ARC has so many issues (when the Beam releases Sonos customer support is going to be busy lol) but I really optical just need higher bandwidth but the industry is not focused on this now
Badge
Agree - come on sonos.

Come on everybody, add your voice to a SONOS 7.1 need,... the more that join the request, the more chance it will become reality,..... COME ON SONOS

Badge
To sonos team,
Hi,
I want to add two more speakers to my sonos 5.1, how do I do that?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It's not possible.
Badge
Will it be enough to upgrade software to make it possible?