Question

Sonos 5.1 for TV with 2x In Ceiling Speakers / 4x In Ceiling Soeakers for music?

• 29 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi all, apologies if this has already been answered but I searched and couldn’t find. 

I’ve already got a Playbar and Sub set up on my TV. I just recently added four Sonance in-ceiling speakers and the Sonos Amp. 

What I am hoping to do is effectively set up 5.1 using the Playbar as front L, R and Center channels and the two rear in-ceiling speakers as my rear surrounds when I watch TV. 

I want to also be able to have a separate “zone” for streaming music that would play just from the four in-ceiling speakers. 

Is this set up possible with the equipment I’ve already got? Can I wire all four in-ceiling speakers into one Amp, or would I need a second amp to accomplish this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@DCenter 

Welcome to the Sonos Community.

I would like to let you know that you can set up the products that you’ve listed in the 5.1 setup, however, you wont be able to have a separate zone as the Amp will be used as surrounds but you can unbond them from your Playbar to create a separate room. You can then bond them back as surrounds at a later time.. Here is the link to provide you with more information about setting up the Amp.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I wonder if it could be done with two AMPs and then splitting the rear speakers to both AMPs?

When using one AMP they would play as rears as part of the TV-zone. When using the other AMP, they would play music as part of that zone. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

There might be cheaper options, but this seems to do the trick:

https://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/russound-ab3-2-automatic-ab-speaker-switch/?v=dd65ef9a5579